Ate The Same Food Debuff or Full Nutrition System

Started by The13thRonin, August 24, 2015, 05:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The13thRonin

It'd be good if eating the same food like three times in a row gave either less nutrition (half) or a negative thought debuff (yuck, this again?) or both to pawns who have no variety in the food they eat. Checks should be easy on raw food (do check last two foods eaten, if return yes then apply debuff, if return no do nothing).

Prepared meals would be hard to fit into this system as is. The best solution here would probably be to change meals to be more like art pieces so instead of 'lavish meal' you have 'lavish meal of potato and muffalo meat' or something. And then just apply the same checks as with raw food.

Ideally this update would be good alongside the introduction of more crops as well as fruit trees perhaps (take the fruit but the tree remains and doesn't require replanting, the balance being its long grow times)?

A full nutrition system would be cool with carbohydrates, proteins, fats and vitamins and minerals (perhaps as hidden stats and a message would pop up in the health menu if they were critically low on any). If your pawns lack these things they would get debuffs. This would ensure players pursue a variety of foodstuffs like meats as well as vegetables.

You could even have a dynamic weight system for pawns depending on how well fed they are!

Also can anyone say fishing and beekeeping?

RimWorld for the Michelin star!

Toggle

That would require micro-managing our colonists eating, way too much. Anything that would debuff from eating food that isn't human meat or an x'd by default ingredient makes micro-managing.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Songleaves

Doesn't have to only add micromanagement. I like the idea of requiring colonists to eat both meat and nonmeat products, since it will require players to engage in hunting/animal raising, rather than just turtling in a cave with row after row of hydroponically grown potatoes. This could be accomplished with mood buffs or a nutrition system that increases the chance of certain diseases with bad diet.

Toggle

It would mean you couldn't just keep eating simple meals, would require fine meals if you didn't want to micro-manage. Or a new food type that can use probably 2 meat 3 veggies.

Boston

God forbid the game is actually complex  ::) , instead of just spamming the "cook simple meals" tab

If I had my way, there would be a full nutritional system, and you would have to get all different nutrients, or the chances for illnesses among your colonists would skyrocket.

It wouldn't be that hard: just corn, beans, pumpkins and potatoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Sisters_(agriculture)

All three together provide a complete and balanced diet. Add potatoes as a starch base, and you could survive very well, all on crops that can be easily grown in "waste" lands (seriously, potatoes are some of the hardiest vegetables ever, and can grow in places where many crops cannot) and don't need artificial fertilizers.

Songleaves

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 24, 2015, 04:16:05 PM
It would mean you couldn't just keep eating simple meals, would require fine meals if you didn't want to micro-manage. Or a new food type that can use probably 2 meat 3 veggies.

You can make simple meals out of meat. All you would need to do is get a butcher table, tell it butcher indefinitely, and occasionally kill an animal.

zenfur

Well, even simpler would be if pawns remembered what did they eat last time and look for different food in the storage.

Also I don't think it should be dishes that matter, but dishes' ingredients. I'd also prefer a tab where I could assign diets for my colonists (and possibly make exceptions for individual colonists). Like to let more control and food interaction brought with mods: like it's difficult to make your colonists to eat antibiotics when they are sick, or sip coffee every morning without tons of micromanagement. Also with diets avialible you could just forbid food with human meat in it instead of looking for that food in the storage and forbidding it by hand when you happen to have other food and want to stop cannibalizing.

Of course all that should be food prioritizing, so they will eat even something you forbid if they have no other choice.

Implementing that would allow also new possibilities like traits vegetarian who will be very grumpy if he has only meat meals.
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

Imca

In the current state I think this is a bad idea, but if you could set food priority for consumption I would suport this.

It would also have the nice side effect of letting me save my survial meals which wont go bad for an emergency without forbiding them.

The13thRonin

Quote from: zenfur on August 24, 2015, 06:07:58 PM
Well, even simpler would be if pawns remembered what did they eat last time and look for different food in the storage.

Also I don't think it should be dishes that matter, but dishes' ingredients. I'd also prefer a tab where I could assign diets for my colonists (and possibly make exceptions for individual colonists). Like to let more control and food interaction brought with mods: like it's difficult to make your colonists to eat antibiotics when they are sick, or sip coffee every morning without tons of micromanagement. Also with diets avialible you could just forbid food with human meat in it instead of looking for that food in the storage and forbidding it by hand when you happen to have other food and want to stop cannibalizing.

Of course all that should be food prioritizing, so they will eat even something you forbid if they have no other choice.

Implementing that would allow also new possibilities like traits vegetarian who will be very grumpy if he has only meat meals.

I assumed that this is what any person reading the thread would understand.

It would be relatively easy to code the pawns looking for a food they have not eaten first.

How does this increase micromanagement again?

... Maybe we should just make the game a single button 'Click here to WIN!' or your pawns only need to collect potatoes, they can eat the potatoes, build with the potatoes and fight with the potatoes... Would that be fun for those of you suggesting less complexity is somehow a good thing?

*Facepalm*

Toggle

Because we have to pay close attention to what our pawns eat, and if they're eating only veggie simple meals instead of meat ones too we have to manually force them to eat to keep them balanced, and calculate it ourselves, not letting them just eat their meals. This could be put off if we added a system for them to feed themselves meat and veggies alternatively to keep healthy, but then it's basically 'Click here to WIN!' as you so said, because all is does is making it so we need meat and veggies. Sell half your meat for veggies, sell half veggies for meat.