[Community Mod] Project Dog

Started by skullywag, August 24, 2015, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

https://github.com/Skullywag/ProjectDog

I ask all modders to fork that repo and add more dogs breeds (in a new branch please). Any artists that fancy doing any art please feel free to do so, it will be hugely appreciated.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

I think this is great :)

And something that fits very well into vanilla. Especially with good art, this would be a very strong candidate for vanilla integration. If you wanted it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

JorJor

I had the same idea, we all need more dogs, dogs are the best thing ever.  8)

[attachment deleted due to age]

CB elite

How does one link the textures for their newly created dog in github? Just attach them here, or...? :)

skullywag

Add a Textures folder and follow the folder naming defined the xml example i have provided

So the structure is Textures/Pawn/Animal/NameOfDog.png

skullywag

Quote from: Tynan on August 24, 2015, 07:38:45 PM

And something that fits very well into vanilla. Especially with good art, this would be a very strong candidate for vanilla integration. If you wanted it.

Absolutely. Think the community would be happy to have it added. Really need some artists though...god i wish could do this sort of stuff.

CB elite

Will add my dog tomorrow, just need to finish up the textures for it :)

Excited to see what breeds people add!

Edit: Can't seem to get my dog to show up in the debugger for whatever reason when testing. Will see if I an figure it out before posting to the git.

Here is the art I just finished for my dog though:

Always subject for improvement though :D

setonoverdrive

Quote from: Tynan on August 24, 2015, 07:38:45 PM

I think a wide range of breeds would be the perfect next step for vanilla integration.

Retrievers would work well with Hunters and would do the hauling so that the hunter can focus on finding and making the next kill rather than dragging the kill back to the colony.

German Shepherds for protection.

Collies could support colonists who are taming other animals.

Beagles could sniff out specific types of ore so you don't have do just dig blind. They will give you a rough idea of where to dig next.

Smaller dogs were historically used to keep people warm (they would sit in the lining of jackets and sleep in bed with people). I don't know if something like that could be implemented.

Toggle

We need Cerberus, the greek guard dog of the underworld. I am not adding it since I don't have textures, but similar to the thrumbo it would be powerful, and only spawn in during the event that makes it spawn instead of in the wild.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

skullywag

As i have actually added 2 dogs currently ive released the current version:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15789.0

Rahjital

This is great! I love this mod, more breeds can only make the game better, especially if there are tangible differences between them. You might want some quality control/balance pass though. Currently the pit bull is way too good, it's running ludicrously fast, is really powerful in combat, can stand the same temperatures as huskies and lives longer than the other big breeds. It has all the advantages and no disadvantages.

I think its speed should be reduced to 5.2 like the other dogs and it should be made slightly smaller (slightly smaller baseBodySize and baseHealthScale), while its attack can be kept high. Other breeds can fill the fast dog role (I'm actually working on one now, though I'm not sure if it will work out since I kinda suck at making textures).

skullywag

they do live longer as do all smaller breeds.

they are faster.

pitbulls are ferocious.

Temperature i missed.....

Rahjital

I can't quite figure out how GitHub works, so here's my copy of the mod with one new breed added: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54710394/RimWorld/ProjectDog.zip The new breed added is the Bohemian Shepherd dog, somewhat of a middle ground between a German Shepherd and a Border Collie.