No cats?

Started by falcongrey, August 24, 2015, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snownova

Clearly Tynan is a dog person.

mumblemumble

No,  cats are just impossible to train.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

harpo99999

IF the cat LIKES the person, they will accept some suggestions for behaviour from the person, BUT if they do NOT like the person, the person is PREY to the cat, and the CAT OWNS the person the cat likes

Cimanyd

Yes... cats should have a "Humans" skill, and use it to attempt to tame humans. Tame humans can then be trained in obedience (defending the cats from enemies), release (going out to attack enemies, e.g. siegers), rescue (-ing the cats), and hauling (food to the cats).

Of course, this means colonies should start with 3 cats and 1 pet human, instead of the current starting population.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

b0rsuk

Cats bury their poop as a sign of respect to the alpha cat. So if your cat refuses to use the litter box properly, he/she has no respect for you.

As much as I like cats, I have to admit they're very hard to train. Either they would have high Wildness, or just Intermediate intelligence. Real world cats also fail the mirror test - unlike (some) dogs, they don't recognize their reflection.

That said, cats still have a number of properties which would make them interesting in Rimworld. Sleeping during day, Going For A Walk during night. Very cuddly. Some people are allergic to them (like me). They could hunt mice and other vermin which ruins your food storage. They could cause conflicts with dogs. They can climb trees and just about anything. They have low terminal velocity and can survive a fall from 10th floor.

Boston

Cats and dogs only cause trouble with each other if they "get thrown" together, without prior introduction. It is the same " who the HELL is that" reaction that any "unknown" animal will have with another, or, hell, even between two human strangers.

I personally have a dog and several cats that were raised together since they were kittens/a puppy. They get along perfectly fine.

More on topic: the only real reason that I would keep domesticated cats around is to keep vermin out of the food supply. Since we don't have vermin, the other reason would be for "mood"-related boosts. Cats are actually entirely capable of being loving and happy to their owners, so long as they actually like them.

Toggle

People are thinking too much into this I think. Just have cats for cats!

Of course that's if it's a mod, wouldn't have much use in base game.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

JesterBlue

You don't tame a cat! The cat tame you! Cat sometime hunt on their own and bring home the kill for their pet human.

Cat also ignore psychic events. Not that they aren't affected! They just don't want to do anything. Wearing a cat on your head is therefore a way to dampen psychic effect. Cat can also incapacitate people by sitting on them a purr.

Mihsan

Quote from: falcongrey on August 24, 2015, 08:51:04 PM
Maybe I missed it or just never encountered it but... are there only domestic live stock type animals and dogs (and dog types) in the game? No house cats or large cats?

There is no cats right now. But in the descriprion of the animal sleeping box you can find mentioning of the cats. So they will be in RimWorld someday.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Skirmish

I bet that cats will require joy in addition to already existing food and rest system for animals.

I can imagine cats bothering working colonists and it gives proper amount of joy for both of them :D

b0rsuk

I seriously think animals should have a need for space. Especially hares, hares, horses and dogs. Some more than others.

harpo99999

Quote from: Cimanyd on August 25, 2015, 11:24:35 AM
Yes... cats should have a "Humans" skill, and use it to attempt to tame humans. Tame humans can then be trained in obedience (defending the cats from enemies), release (going out to attack enemies, e.g. siegers), rescue (-ing the cats), and hauling (food to the cats).

Of course, this means colonies should start with 3 cats and 1 pet human, instead of the current starting population.
BUT ALL cats want MORE servants (humans to serve them), so 1 cat (colony master), 3 humans (colony servants), and 1 or more dogs(slaves to the servants) would be more suitable

tommonius

I would love for cats to be in game and have a behavior mechanic where they chase down and kill rodents without being promted. What I would give for a cat to be able to kill say a Boomrat but the Boomrat will not blow up due to some kind of instinctual fear of a feline.

Cimanyd

Quote from: harpo99999 on August 26, 2015, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: Cimanyd on August 25, 2015, 11:24:35 AM

BUT ALL cats want MORE servants (humans to serve them), so 1 cat (colony master), 3 humans (colony servants), and 1 or more dogs(slaves to the servants) would be more suitable

The 3 cats can attempt to tame other humans in the area, whether the herds of normal wild humans that pass by or hang around the colony, or by rescuing incapacitated survivors of "cathunter packs". They can also buy tame humans from certain traders.

(Note: Attempting to capture and tame a wild human may cause the herd to attack you)
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.