Petition to Stop autoroofing!!!

Started by windruf, August 25, 2015, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We want to stop autoroofing and build our roofs ourself.

YES Autoroofing sucks!
8 (15.4%)
NO Autoroofing is cool.
44 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: September 01, 2015, 12:21:39 AM

Toggle

... You do realize 'adding another layer', if it goes up, is literally z levels, right? That's the definition of z levels. Even one extra layer is z levels.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

mcduff

Does anyone have a link where Tynan explains what the difference is between "z-levels" and the layer system that Rimworld uses?

akiceabear

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 26, 2015, 02:41:06 AM
... You do realize 'adding another layer', if it goes up, is literally z levels, right? That's the definition of z levels. Even one extra layer is z levels.

I think it only counts as another "level" if pawns can actually walk on it, otherwise its just a mesh layer on the same single level. Saying a roofing tool is adding z-levels would be like the zoning tool counting as a z-level...

Toggle

It doesn't necessarily require pawns to walk on it. A 'tower' with a turret on top would be z-levels. The zoning layers aren't actually physical, and are on the original layer, it wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Perso

a good idea would be to make the roofing is marked on the map with colors, so we could know where roof

shentino

Quote from: Coenmcj on August 25, 2015, 12:42:06 AM
Gonna have to say that Autoroofing is incredibly helpful.
The No roof zoning in the architect menu is more than adequate in my opinion.

It doesn't work to protect miners in unexplored areas since those are un-area-able.

Toggle

Quote from: shentino on September 07, 2015, 02:11:08 AM
Quote from: Coenmcj on August 25, 2015, 12:42:06 AM
Gonna have to say that Autoroofing is incredibly helpful.
The No roof zoning in the architect menu is more than adequate in my opinion.

It doesn't work to protect miners in unexplored areas since those are un-area-able.

Yeah, 'thick' roof cannot be removed, as it's literally a mountain on top of you pretty much. Drop pods also can't drop in.

RoboticManiac

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 26, 2015, 02:41:06 AM
On our side, it would be like some kind of weird 1.5 levels, as we really wouldn't be interacting with them, save for their actual construction and effects on the tile 'below'.

Programming wise, it I doubt it would be anything that requires jumping through excessive hoops- with roofs just being another entity on any one tile, perhaps like a floor or an invisible object.

I also like the thought of using the same methods the power conduits use for seeing the roofs on buildings- In normal play, they can be rendered clear or otherwise invisible, but when in the 'roof' tab of the construction menu, a bright overlay can be put on top.

Bob_Namg

Quote from: Snownova on August 25, 2015, 06:35:40 AM
constructed roofs would be nice if it included a toggle for "show roofs" and various options like wood roof, bomb shelter roof, solar panel roof, glass roof.
I second this notion
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France