Petition to Stop autoroofing!!!

Started by windruf, August 25, 2015, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We want to stop autoroofing and build our roofs ourself.

YES Autoroofing sucks!
8 (15.4%)
NO Autoroofing is cool.
44 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: September 01, 2015, 12:21:39 AM

windruf

Autoroofing is way to unpredictable [censored][censored][censored]!

Tagasaki

at the meantime you can use "expand no roof" zoning under the architect and zone/area

Coenmcj

Gonna have to say that Autoroofing is incredibly helpful.
The No roof zoning in the architect menu is more than adequate in my opinion.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

JesterBlue

I'm still waiting for the day when I can build my own roof. With chimney and stuff

Listy

Quote from: JesterBlue on August 25, 2015, 01:05:27 AM
I'm still waiting for the day when I can build my own roof. With chimney and stuff

A "roof over this area" tool would be bloody useful if you want to build, say a open sided barn for storage to keep the weather off.
However I can't be help think it'd be easily abusable, as it requires no resource's, and you can use it to kill things.

Mr.Cross

Quote from: Listy on August 25, 2015, 04:39:18 AM
A "roof over this area" tool would be bloody useful if you want to build, say a open sided barn for storage to keep the weather off.
However I can't be help think it'd be easily abusable, as it requires no resource's, and you can use it to kill things.

I agree with you there, It's a huge pain to try to make a roofed room with a side open to the elements, but other than that I love auto roofing.
Claims to know most things.

Snownova

constructed roofs would be nice if it included a toggle for "show roofs" and various options like wood roof, bomb shelter roof, solar panel roof, glass roof.

skullywag

Ive always tried to think how I would do this, its not hard to actually show the roofs and even for them to have textures (they kind of do already you just dont see them apart from on construction) So i thought just make the roof always display and make it invisible when a pawn is in a room, but then I thought hmm what if i wanted to change the bill on that worktable in that room where there is no pawn, I now cannot see inside the room, ok what about if i mouse over a room it removes the roof....and thats as far as i got.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Voxil

I think the best ways to do a visible roof would be to have a toggle button for it. Either make it like zones or set up on like the Beauty button where you can turn it on or off. It would be nice to make a lean-to or something of that nature.

windruf

Quote from: Tagasaki on August 25, 2015, 12:30:36 AM
at the meantime you can use "expand no roof" zoning under the architect and zone/area
i know that.
it is just damn PinA when with a small addition your well climated base becomes unroofed. especially in winter.

killer117

Yeah it may suck when it goes wrong, but if this feature of designatable roofing was implemented then think of all the addable new stuff. Armoured roofs and glass roofs and all would be so good. Because personally, i hate normal roofs cause sieges in a compound base are a nightmare, because if ur not under a mountain, ur basically have to go out and kill them, or take massive damage. Ive lost battery banks, dining table (and the people sitting at them) people asleep in beds, people in the fields, even once a guy tribg to research inside my base. Id love for there to be roofs that cost a bit of steel, but can withstand a couple of mortar shots   
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Endovior

In the absence of buildable roofs, autoroofing is fine.

Buildable roofs would be preferable, though; stuff like the aforementioned glass roof (for greenhouses) or reinforced roof (for sieges) would be nice alternatives to spend resources on.

Mihsan

Quote from: Snownova on August 25, 2015, 06:35:40 AM
constructed roofs would be nice if it included a toggle for "show roofs" and various options like wood roof, bomb shelter roof, solar panel roof, glass roof.

I am waiting for this one for a long time.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Toggle

Buildable roofs would somewhat go into z-levels, as if you're constructing something, you probably need the resources, if you need the resources, it probably has hitpoints and can be hit, and it's another layer entirely then the basic map so your colonists are building up...

Maybe just a construct roof button and your colonists built it with no resources, and it look little time (As roofs are important with how temps work, so it's necessary to have them done quick.). And you remember how our power lines work? Shows us where they are when we're building, roofs would basically do the same thing.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

windruf

no z layer
now it comes: earth, floor, power conduit, buildings-walls-doors, stuff, people-animals.
if we add another layer it won't become 3D. it is just another layer.