How to rescue colonists with animals?

Started by Jan2607, August 25, 2015, 10:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I've trained my Labrador retriever on rescue and the training is completed. But when in fight one of my colonists was hit and fell unconscious, he didn't attempt to rescue him.
So how can I order him, to rescue wounded colonists? Or can he only rescue his master?

zandadoum

Quote from: Jan2607 on August 25, 2015, 10:45:42 AM
I've trained my Labrador retriever on rescue and the training is completed. But when in fight one of my colonists was hit and fell unconscious, he didn't attempt to rescue him.
So how can I order him, to rescue wounded colonists? Or can he only rescue his master?
it's not as quick as doing manually with a colonist and the animal will do it automatically.

i assign haul and rescue animals to my cook who never leaves base. that way they don't get hurt and work all the time. also make sure they are in a unrestricted animal zone

Jan2607

Cimanyd

Was its master drafted? You can see in the A12 video it won't rescue if it is, it'll keep defending.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Jan2607

His master was drafted, and the dog took a walk. I didn't release him, because the colonist fought against centipedes. That's a little bit too much for a dog, I think.

Jan2607

Another question: Will colonists with job Handling don't feed tamed animals? I have tons of hay in my storage, but my animals are starving, because no one wants to feed them.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Jan2607 on August 25, 2015, 11:23:44 AM
His master was drafted, and the dog took a walk. I didn't release him, because the colonist fought against centipedes. That's a little bit too much for a dog, I think.
You shouldn't need to release the dog, just switch its master to someone else or "none", or undraft the master.

Quote from: Jan2607 on August 25, 2015, 12:41:52 PM
Another question: Will colonists with job Handling don't feed tamed animals? I have tons of hay in my storage, but my animals are starving, because no one wants to feed them.
Animals eat food on their own. If they're not carnivores and there's grass outside, let them eat that and you won't have to feed them at all (except for training). Otherwise, allow the animals access to their food (store some food in their allowed area, or have their allowed area include the freezer).
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

ssdg

Quote from: Jan2607 on August 25, 2015, 12:41:52 PM

You dont need to manually feed the animals. Does your animal has access to the Hays?

Jan2607

I had some trouble with toxic fallout and volcanic winter. Outside nothing is growing and I had to grow hay indoors with hydroponics. I stored the hay in my cooled room. That's the reason, why the animals had no acces to it.
Now I've build a storage in their allowed area.

These deers need tons of food :(
At the moment, animal breeding is a bit hard with these new incidents.

b0rsuk

For keeping animals out of battle, assigning master to None + allowed zones is good enough. If there's an emergency, you can pause, assign animals to a colonist, and draft him to pull animals that way.

I also didn't have  luck with Rescue animals. Considering how hard it is to train, it should work more reliably. The one time the animal hauled the colonist it wasn't necessary at all because the fight was over and most of my colonists were standing.