how to deal with berserk and animal haters?

Started by zandadoum, August 25, 2015, 12:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zandadoum

Heya,

I am quite pissed right now... spend around 4-5h. building a new colony... one guy (the brawler) gets berserk... downs everyone else and proceeds to kill all my animals even tho i micromanaged them from one zone to another...

I think there could be done some tweaking, Tynan... in first place, a few alphas ago, you could close and disallow a door and not even bersekers could not go through. Why was this removed? There is absolutely no crowdcontrol now, when one of your guys goes berserk, you pretty much have to beat him to a pulp and pray you don't kill him or get killed.

Even worse: a raid landed on top of me, they went right away for my chicken dens. Not my colonists, not my turrets... MY EFFING CHICKEN. What sort of stupid priority AI is this? And what happened next? while I was still recovering (Randy Extreme never just throws ONE thing at you) the chicken corpses rot and guess what? whole colony with -10 debuff because there were colonists unburied WTF!? they were freaking chicken, you put them into the same emo-boat than a regular human colonist? I had t obuild extra graves, allow rotten animal corpses and bury 15 chicken so my colonists were all happy.

Oh BTW, all this on aug. 8th 5500 , so don't be a smartass like "ohhh prevent your colonists getting berserk in first place by building beautiful rooms" or "should have cremated" ... like the lady said "ain't no one have time fo dat shit"

so... question for everyone...

how do you deal with berserk rages and raiders focusing on your animals? and do you think it's OK that a simple chicken rotten corpse gives same colony-wide negative effect than any other human colonists corpse?

TLHeart

I like that the raiders go for the animals, it is a very good burn and starve out the interlopers strategy... along with burning your crop fields... the thing is, animals do fight back. I have seen my chickens take down 3 raiders.

And playing on randy extreme, you should loose more than you win. That is why it is extreme.

To answer your question, I prevent the berserk rage first. How, Pay attention to the needs of the individual. You have time, just have to prioritize to meet the need.

Second raiders, attack, and have defensible positions created by the base design. Digging into a mountain is slow, and not my first priority.

Third, the animals make a great distraction, as the raiders focus on the animals, I pick them off one by one. So I loose a few chickens, more meat for me, and the dead raiders are more meat for my animals.

Rahjital

Berserkers could always break down doors. Occasionally they just stand there and do nothing, which I've seen happen in this very Alpha, but that's a bug I think.

I agree that raiders shouldn't consider attacking animals their priority that must be carried out at all costs. I hope that raiders will be changed so that they will steal animals and other items in the future instead of just coming to ruin your colony. If you want to protect your animals, you should build a barn for them so that the raiders can't see them. Just don't make it out of wood if you don't want them cooked alive.

LordGoldFish

Kinda stupid complaining about getting rekt when u are playing on extreme. Extreme isnt supposed to be survivable forver. it supposed to be HARD
LordGoldFish

zandadoum

Quote from: TLHeart on August 25, 2015, 12:15:37 PM
To answer your question, I prevent the berserk rage first. How, Pay attention to the needs of the individual. You have time, just have to prioritize to meet the need.
good luck with that when one of your starting guys guy has "greedy" or any other of the shitty traits

Second raiders, attack, and have defensible positions created by the base design. Digging into a mountain is slow, and not my first priority.
randy extreme: evil ship, inmediately followed by eclipse, followed by sapper raid. and this in the first 8 month of game.

Third, the animals make a great distraction, as the raiders focus on the animals, I pick them off one by one. So I loose a few chickens, more meat for me, and the dead raiders are more meat for my animals.
i don't need my animals to distract raiders, i can kill raiders well enough. but when there are twice as many raiders than colonists and turrets, they just kill way too many animals

Quote from: LordGoldFish on August 25, 2015, 12:32:47 PM
Kinda stupid complaining about getting rekt when u are playing on extreme. Extreme isnt supposed to be survivable forver. it supposed to be HARD
seriously, when i make posts like this one and i read the reply, it's like you guys are all playing on easy mode or with unlimited resources or whatever. or you think i am 10y into the colony which i am not. read: EIGHT MONTH

i think randy extreme needs tweaking. randy challenge is boringly easy... randy extreme is impossible. there should be a middle ground, specially with all the new stuff fucking you over and over

and what about the colony wide debuff because of some stupid unburied chickens? makes no sense at all.

LordGoldFish

ANd seriously this is your THIRD post about randy extreme being hard. DEAL WITH IT. You put it on the highest difficulty SO DEAL WITH IT
LordGoldFish

zandadoum

Quote from: LordGoldFish on August 25, 2015, 12:33:44 PM
ANd seriously this is your THIRD post about randy extreme being hard. DEAL WITH IT. You put it on the highest difficulty SO DEAL WITH IT
"difficulty" which right now, with Poison Ships, with Evil ships happening every 5 minutes, even more often than raids, with mechanoids "improved" AI, with animals being useless as raids and berserkers focus on killing them... that's not difficult, that's STUPID.

the gap between randy challenge and randy extreme is too big.
heck, Tynan himself said in one of my posts he'll tweak ship events to happen less in the first few month of the game, so there IS something wrong.

how about you guys actually try to make a new colony on randy extreme and get to year 5501, instead of loading your old colonies on the new alpha and playing cassandra easy? maybe then we can actually talk.

skullywag

The animals are not people problem is being fixed for an incoming hotfix. So no debuff thought will occur for that. Remember, this is alpha there will be bugs.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Veneke

Honestly, both of these problems wouldn't be issues for you if you took some precautions first. Namely brewing and barns.

For any mood problems beer is the answer. Get brewery asap and anyone who is in a poor mood gets to drown their sorrows in beer. Unless you've a major problem that's almost certainly going to tide you over. I used to struggle a bit with people losing it, but once beer became an option things have gone rather more smoothly in that department.

I haven't actually seen the AI go after my animals, but that's probably because I keep my animals inside my defences. So the enemy has to go through my colonists before they get to the barns.

Plus, it looks like the mood debuff is getting fixed.

zandadoum

Quote from: skullywag on August 25, 2015, 12:50:42 PM
The animals are not people problem is being fixed for an incoming hotfix. So no debuff thought will occur for that. Remember, this is alpha there will be bugs.
good news :) can you link the source post to that?

skullywag

Quote from: zandadoum on August 25, 2015, 12:52:53 PM
Quote from: skullywag on August 25, 2015, 12:50:42 PM
good news :) can you link the source post to that?

Sure:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15398.0
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15387.0
And the main one:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15217.0 :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Lerxst

Quote from: zandadoum on August 25, 2015, 12:07:57 PM
Heya,

I am quite pissed right now... spend around 4-5h. building a new colony... one guy (the brawler) gets berserk... downs everyone else and proceeds to kill all my animals even tho i micromanaged them from one zone to another...

I think there could be done some tweaking, Tynan... in first place, a few alphas ago, you could close and disallow a door and not even bersekers could not go through. Why was this removed? There is absolutely no crowdcontrol now, when one of your guys goes berserk, you pretty much have to beat him to a pulp and pray you don't kill him or get killed.

Even worse: a raid landed on top of me, they went right away for my chicken dens. Not my colonists, not my turrets... MY EFFING CHICKEN. What sort of stupid priority AI is this? And what happened next? while I was still recovering (Randy Extreme never just throws ONE thing at you) the chicken corpses rot and guess what? whole colony with -10 debuff because there were colonists unburied WTF!? they were freaking chicken, you put them into the same emo-boat than a regular human colonist? I had t obuild extra graves, allow rotten animal corpses and bury 15 chicken so my colonists were all happy.

Oh BTW, all this on aug. 8th 5500 , so don't be a smartass like "ohhh prevent your colonists getting berserk in first place by building beautiful rooms" or "should have cremated" ... like the lady said "ain't no one have time fo dat shit"

so... question for everyone...

how do you deal with berserk rages and raiders focusing on your animals? and do you think it's OK that a simple chicken rotten corpse gives same colony-wide negative effect than any other human colonists corpse?

I make sure I assign my brawler psychopaths to some nice, easy light-duty... like growing. Nice fresh air, inside a nicely lit, well decorated hydroponic room, etc. and I pretty much disable them from anything that could cause a breakdown. I also make damn sure I equip my brawlers with melee weapons... that mood debuff for wielding a ranged weapon caused a ton of problems before I realized it was an issue.

Or... I just let them rot in the wilderness to begin with and strip them of their belongings. I also don't allow a colonist like that to make it onto my roster when I first start; too many things to worry about without a bloodthirsty murderer in the ranks!

b0rsuk

Not having anything constructive to say, but melee colonists are bloody scary when they break. Maybe equip them with stone shivs and have the real weapon on equipment rack ?

re1wind

Quote from: Lerxst on August 25, 2015, 01:11:05 PM

I make sure I assign my brawler psychopaths to some nice, easy light-duty... like growing. Nice fresh air, inside a nicely lit, well decorated hydroponic room, etc. and I pretty much disable them from anything that could cause a breakdown. I also make damn sure I equip my brawlers with melee weapons... that mood debuff for wielding a ranged weapon caused a ton of problems before I realized it was an issue.

I strongly doubt any colony/person has the time or resources to make a pretty hydroponics room while getting assaulted by extreme randy. Hydroponics isn't going to be a priority anyway unless you play in an extreme environment, like tundra. if anything, the brawler is going to be in combat as often as he's asleep/healing.

Tynan

FYI, the thing where dead chickens give the 'colonist left unburied' thought is actually a bug. Along with several others, it'll be fixed in an upcoming hotfix.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog