Better armor?

Started by Drakon22, August 25, 2015, 05:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon22

IRL, armor will stop bullets. I think that an armor vest should be able to stop bullets from things like pistols, PDW's, and assault rifles, while Survival rifles, M-24's, charge rifles, etc. went right through. A Kevlar helmet could stop pistols and PDW's, a steel helmet can stop what an armor vest can stop, and power armor could stop everything except M-24, Survival rifle, and charge lances, and heavy charge blasters would go right through. It would protect the torso ( in the case of a vest) and the head (in a helmet). And if that seems to OP (it is) bruising to the torso, or maybe some rib fractures, and concussions and skull fractures, which are admittedly better than GSW.

killer117

How is this an armour improvement. Armour already stops bullets. Not all. But some. Some go right through. Some are blocked, and others are stopped from murdering ur colinist straight away. So i dont see how ur saying we can get beter armour, or why we need to change what we've got.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

FreddyFazbear

I believe that armor in rimworld already does protect pawns but it all depends on the qualty of it. For example: A legendary power armor will protect a pawn from sharp things (bullets, knife stabs and animal bites) by 136.5% but a awful power armor will only protect a pawn by from sharp things by 26.0% So...

Drakon22

If you were not aware, real life body armor will stop ALL bullets to the area it protects, as long as it's rated for them. For example, a level three vest can stop .556 all day, but an AP .308 will go right through. It won't stop some, it will stop all. And if vests degraded with every round they stopped, that would make it more realistic.

killer117

They do degrade from being shot. And no, enough rounds can break any bulletproof vest. And besides, have u seen the description for the armour vest. Its a hunk of steel with some straps. Its not rated to take anything. Its the cathedral of the armours. First u wear them, then u pray. 
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Drakon22

Nor is it judged by its status. It's judged by its rating, like is explained here http://njlawman.com/Feature%20Pieces/Body%20Armor.htm

Drakon22

Well, yeah, that's true. It's not exactly AR500 plated. But still, the bruises and fractures idea still applies. However, a level 3 vest has been proven to be able to take thousands of rounds of .556, by which time they have likely taken a hit elsewhere.

FreddyFazbear

Yeah i know it does real life body armor does stop bullets but think about this, if someone were to make a very crappy bullet vest it would do a bad job at stopping bullets as if someone were to make a good quality bullet vest yes it would stop bullets! And in rimworld the more damage clothing/armor takes the more it degrades the less it protection it provides and eventually will break and they will be defenseless just like real life. And also a normal grade vest could stop a bullet from a pistol but i could not stop a bullet from a sniper rifle!

Drakon22

All ballistic vests must undergo testing to show that they can stop bullets. I have already addressed the second part of your post in the original post.

FreddyFazbear

Yes in real life they do but this is a game! Body armor does not go under test! You get what you get! And no body will protect your forever. Real life or not, those bullets will eventually go through.

Drakon22

True, but that's not what I'm saying. Body armor stops bullets 95% of the time. Eventually they will go through, but a 40% chance is ridiculous.

FreddyFazbear

Yeah it is but if its a low grade armor it makes sense! If you were to ask someone off the streets to make some armor it would probably very low grade armor! All it probably would be is just some silver strapped to some leather! Where as if you were to ask someone who was a experienced in making armor, weapons and etc they would more than likely make you a high quality bullet proof armor vest!

Drakon22

True, but in this case, your not asking a random person off the street to make body armor. Either you buy it from traders or you get it off some corpse. And while your right about its quality level, perhaps that could just mean that it stops fewer rounds before falling to pieces.

FreddyFazbear

Yeah but the colony that those corpses came from probably made them. And traders don't make anything, they probably got all the armor from some pirates. If a trader ever has master or legendary armor buy them right away because they are bullet proof! Until it gets filled with holes... Tynan should add a armor crafting system so we can make our own.

Toggle

Well this thread hurt to read. And I get your reasoning, but yeah the body armour isn't likely put through testing, the traders don't exactly have union standards. The thing is it probably won't get changed for balance reasons, as if you're shooting at a guy with a pistol and hitting his chest and your bullets aren't ever gonna hit him through the chest meanwhile he's aiming at you with a rifle, kinda bull. There's always the head and the arms and legs, but they have lower chances to be hit.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.