[A12d] Cats! (updated 23-9, hardier legendaries, lowered volume)

Started by Fluffy (l2032), August 25, 2015, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I focus on?

More domestic cats
61 (26.4%)
Wild cats (Lion, Sphynx, Tiger, etc. )
119 (51.5%)
Cat Food, other cat related objects.
51 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 231

FMJ Penguin

Quote from: l2032 on August 26, 2015, 06:01:39 PM
Meet the European Shorthair!

He's also inspired by Arcade, a domestic shorthair, who's frankly so insanely cute I feel bad about not making a whole mode about him: http://imgur.com/a/pUw2d. Also, shoot out to (almost) black cats and tuxedos!

Finally, I need to figure out how to allow cats to interbreed. Right now, each breed is it's own little clan that doesn't mix with others. That means that if I add too many cats, it might actually get hard to obtain a breeding pair - and we'ld have to do without kittens! If I can somehow manage that all cats can interbreed, there's only my time as a limit on the number of breeds we can have. Sadly, one texture per breed does seem to be a pretty hard limit, so I still can't oblige everyone with their pet in game, sorry!

On a related note, it should be possible to add least at pet names to the generator, so that's something. I'll keep you updated.

Finally, if anyone feels like providing textures, that would be a huge help! Right now I'm spending an evening per feline, which is putting a bit of a dent on my available time for playing the actual game... You'ld get full credit ofcourse!

That is the Blackest/Whitest cat I've every seen. It almost looks fake like a painting or something.  :o
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

harpo99999

ONLY 13 pounds, you MUST BE STARVING your cat, my small girl is ONLY 17 pounds, but also all muscle, and if she wants to nuzzle my hand while sitting beside me  (while I am standing (5f10inch)) she just sits on her rear legs and nuzzles my hand, and if she decides to grab my wrists,then she just stands in her rear legs and grabs, BUT she does not use her hooks when grabing me, so I think she must like me

FMJ Penguin

Mine is about 4 years old I think and she's only 10-11 pounds. Very dainty build though. She's literally half the size of my mother's main coon.
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

lokidemon

Quote from: harpo99999 on August 27, 2015, 08:07:23 AM
ONLY 13 pounds, you MUST BE STARVING your cat, my small girl is ONLY 17 pounds, but also all muscle, and if she wants to nuzzle my hand while sitting beside me  (while I am standing (5f10inch)) she just sits on her rear legs and nuzzles my hand, and if she decides to grab my wrists,then she just stands in her rear legs and grabs, BUT she does not use her hooks when grabing me, so I think she must like me

Are you sure your cats are of the kind that is supposed to fit in a house??  ;D I thought only Maine Coons and wild cats were supposed to get this big, my itty bitty ESH would get flattened if one of yours would come over to play  :o
And no worries, he's most certainly not starving, lol, look at this not starving belly

(Please ignore the glare'o'death, it's usually harmless)

FMJ Penguin

Grrr if I think about it I'll upload a pic when I have my phone and mini-usb.... If I can ever find that damn cord... Cuzz your ca IS my cat... freakishly similar. I mean if they where playing you prolly wouldn't know who was who. And yeah, main coons are pretty big. 20ish pounds I think is average-ish. His paws are bout the size of 3 of my lil cat's paws.... giant mittens(like rabbit fur though... weird how soft they are)

lokidemon

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on August 27, 2015, 08:37:40 AM
Grrr if I think about it I'll upload a pic when I have my phone and mini-usb.... If I can ever find that damn cord... Cuzz your ca IS my cat... freakishly similar. I mean if they where playing you prolly wouldn't know who was who. And yeah, main coons are pretty big. 20ish pounds I think is average-ish. His paws are bout the size of 3 of my lil cat's paws.... giant mittens(like rabbit fur though... weird how soft they are)
So we could distinguish them by paw size  8) that's a relief.

Back on topic, though, I might be able to come up with a cornish rex texture later in the day.
I can't believe there has not been a cat mod for RW yet. On the other hand, a12 hasn't been out that long yet either.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: l2032 on August 26, 2015, 06:01:39 PM
Finally, I need to figure out how to allow cats to interbreed. Right now, each breed is it's own little clan that doesn't mix with others. That means that if I add too many cats, it might actually get hard to obtain a breeding pair - and we'ld have to do without kittens! If I can somehow manage that all cats can interbreed, there's only my time as a limit on the number of breeds we can have. Sadly, one texture per breed does seem to be a pretty hard limit, so I still can't oblige everyone with their pet in game, sorry!
A .dll mod would do it for interbreeding. You'd probably need to override this code: JobGiver_Mate.

Quote from: lokidemon on August 26, 2015, 10:46:27 AM
-snip-
Dunno if Facebook will let me post this due to my privacy settings but other than the eye colour, that almost looks like one of my cats from 10 years ago.

His name was Summie. He was I think about 16 years old in this pic.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Florius

He was a beauty ItchyFlea! And thanks for the help on the mod, let's make sure cats take over Rimworld ^^

lokidemon

Sooo, I'm not an artist, and this is my first texture everrr, but I did what I could.
It's only an outline of a Cornish Rex looking cat, I suppose you could use it for sphynxes or oriental cats. Just add your favorite color.

[attachment deleted due to age]

lokidemon

Quote from: ItchyFlea on August 27, 2015, 09:36:11 AM
Dunno if Facebook will let me post this due to my privacy settings but other than the eye colour, that almost looks like one of my cats from 10 years ago.
-snip-
His name was Summie. He was I think about 16 years old in this pic.
Oh, that's an impressive looking cat, hope you had a lot of good times with him.

Ninefinger

My idea for you is that if you do not want to dll mod for whatever reason and are worried about too many kitties, just make 6 domestic kitties that should be enough variety and still be easy enough for breading, but then on top of that you can add Lions, Tigers, and  Cougars and such as wild animals.

Just my 2 cents if it is even worth that. Cheers!

tylers2001

There is a difference between me and you. I'm the one still standing.

Fluffy (l2032)

Meet the British Shorthair and Norwegian Forest Cat!

Quote from: lokidemon on August 27, 2015, 02:24:54 PM
Sooo, I'm not an artist, and this is my first texture everrr, but I did what I could.
It's only an outline of a Cornish Rex looking cat, I suppose you could use it for sphynxes or oriental cats. Just add your favorite color.
That looks pretty damn good Loki! Mind if I use that to make a Siamese inspired by https://instagram.com/meowcifer_kaleidoscope/ tomorrow?

Quote from: Ninefinger on August 27, 2015, 02:51:42 PM
My idea for you is that if you do not want to dll mod for whatever reason and are worried about too many kitties, just make 6 domestic kitties that should be enough variety and still be easy enough for breading, but then on top of that you can add Lions, Tigers, and  Cougars and such as wild animals.

Just my 2 cents if it is even worth that. Cheers!
Yeah, that's my backup plan. I've just started looking around in the source, I think I have a pretty good idea what I need to do, but I have no idea how to do it, being completely new to C#. I do have some experience in Python and C++, but so far it's of no help ;).

( I need to provide a JobGiver_Mate that uses a new ThingRequest.ForRace(), which would return all with the same race. The simple solution is to override the core JobGiver, which I think should be safe because all pawns seem to have unique races (my cats however all share DomesticCat). An alternative would be to introduce a new breedGroup tag and somehow implement a search by that. Either way, I have to basically reverse a step in the ThingRequest, select race or breedGroup from the current pawn and then search for pawns that have the same, and I have no idea how to do that, yet. )

Fluffy (l2032)

Forgot to mention; I use https://pixlr.com/editor/ to make all these (it's sort of an on-line photoshop light), which does admirably given that it's a web app. If you open the textures/DomesticCat folder in the mod, there's a bunch of .pxd files next to the .png's the game uses. These can be opened with pixlr, and are my working documents. Feel free to use them as a basis for your own cats!

Take a look at some of the base dog graphics first as inspiration, my first mistake was to focus way too much on getting details right that you won't be able to see ingame anyway. What matters much more is the overall feel of the thing. As you can see, I'm still prone to make that mistake - I am no artist either ;).

[attachment deleted due to age]

Florius

Looks sweet! Can't wait for kittens! ^^