[A12d] Cats! (updated 23-9, hardier legendaries, lowered volume)

Started by Fluffy (l2032), August 25, 2015, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I focus on?

More domestic cats
61 (26.4%)
Wild cats (Lion, Sphynx, Tiger, etc. )
119 (51.5%)
Cat Food, other cat related objects.
51 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 231

lokidemon

Quote from: l2032 on September 04, 2015, 06:52:00 AM
Also, Loki, minor thing and I've changed it for the existing textures, but textures are assumed to face right on the side profiles (I didn't check this on the last one, hence the moonwalking lion ;))
Oh, snap! Thanks for mentioning this, will keep it in mind for future textures.

Quote from: l2032 on September 04, 2015, 06:00:40 AM
If you have some time to do textures, I'ld love more wild cats! Lynx and Cheetah or Leopard would be at the top of my list.
Then that's what I'll do, was going to look into the lynx anyways.

Quote from: l2032 on September 04, 2015, 06:00:40 AM
@Loki, mind if I add you as an author? At this point half the textures are yours ;)
If you want to, go ahead, but I don't really think the textures merit a co-authorship, after all, you get to do the work, while I play  ;D

Tynan

This is awesome :) Has anyone posted screenshots?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fluffy (l2032)

Oh it's play for me too, wouldn't do this if it felt like work. Only difference is that I enjoy fiddling with code as well ;).

I've tried finding a mythological reference for a cat (had to stop myself from googling 'cat on fire', realised that I probably wouldn't like what I found just before I pressed enter). No luck though.

How about "Feenix" (Feline Phoenix), "Flamebeast" or "Living Flame"?

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Tynan on September 04, 2015, 07:50:29 AM
Hi Tynan! Awesome of you to drop by :D

As far as I'm aware noone has posted screenshots, the textures can be found here though.

(possibly getting ahead of myself; but if you want to put anything in the core game, I've specifically chosen an open license for that purpose, and would be very honoured!)

lokidemon

Quote from: l2032 on September 04, 2015, 07:51:23 AM
had to stop myself from googling 'cat on fire', realised that I probably wouldn't like what I found just before I pressed enter
OMG, no, this is not something you should type into Google...

Quote from: l2032 on September 04, 2015, 07:51:23 AM
How about "Feenix" (Feline Phoenix), "Flamebeast" or "Living Flame"?
Oooh, Feenix sounds nice.. But looks kind of like a kiddie name...

Quote from: Tynan on September 04, 2015, 07:50:29 AM
I think we're working on this  ;) Maybe when there are some less bland screenshots of cats tormenting their owners  ;D

Florius

Quote from: lokidemon on September 04, 2015, 02:57:25 AM
Personally I don't think it's a bug. Why shouldn't you be able to make cat food at a butcher table? After all, cats eat raw meat, even domestic ones.

Already thought so, but just thought I'd mension it just to be sure.

Fluffy (l2032)

I've got the Feenix (unless changed, but I've rather grown to like the name) to feed on fire. When it gets hungry it seeks out fires, and by being close to fire it reduces its food need. When there is no fire, it makes one.

There's some bugs I need to squash before release, as well as some more testing. I need him to just walk around fires when he's hungry, right now he moves to one, and then moves to it again, and again, until he starts throwing 'x started 10 jobs' errors. Also, there's a feedback loop that's potentially killing him built into the core. When he's hungry, he sets fire, but when there's too much fire it starts raining. I need to figure out if his lifecycle is sustainable.

There's some more stuff I'll see about adding later. I'ld like for him to just set random fires all the time, as well as increase the heat of the room he's in. In theory a trained Feenix can wreak some real havoc on raids (either directly, or by burning/heatstroke), or even work as a free heater. Of course, an angry Feenix is a pretty scary thing, so training is at your own risk. There's also the obvious risk of keeping a pet that sets stuff on fire for dinner.

Would also like to have him be hurt by rain and seek shelter, but that's pretty low on my priority list (and would make him extra vulnerable to the feedback loop above).

Deepfield

A group of 9 Maine Coons wandered into base lol... idk how im going to feed 9 cats right now o.O

I've decided everyone is going to get one rather they like it or not :D

FMJ Penguin

Lolz...., so much for subtlety. Get ran over by furballs with claws. Had that happen with dogs in the base game too. Kinda kills immersion... what there is of it anyways.

Speaking of which.... where's my gremlins? Or are yall to young to remember those :) Be cool to train a phyco furball killer that can be trained beyond pet skills. Gremlins with miniguns oh my  :o
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

lokidemon

Quote from: l2032 on September 04, 2015, 08:24:50 PM
I've got the Feenix (unless changed, but I've rather grown to like the name) to feed on fire. When it gets hungry it seeks out fires, and by being close to fire it reduces its food need. When there is no fire, it makes one.
Genius! And I'm not even joking  ;)

Quote from: l2032 on September 04, 2015, 08:24:50 PM
There's some bugs I need to squash before release, as well as some more testing.
-[snip]-
Would also like to have him be hurt by rain and seek shelter, but that's pretty low on my priority list (and would make him extra vulnerable to the feedback loop above).
Damn, never though I would be so excited to have him in the game. This sounds like a lot of bugs to squash, but I'm confident you will catch them all  ;)

Quote from: Deepfield on September 04, 2015, 09:01:07 PM
A group of 9 Maine Coons wandered into base lol... idk how im going to feed 9 cats right now o.O

I've decided everyone is going to get one rather they like it or not :D
Well this may sound morbid (or not, depending on how you run your colony), but my cats seem to like human flesh, so.... feed them on raiders.  8) Also especially advanced Maine Coon killing machines will fend for themselves, you know  ;D

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 05, 2015, 02:11:31 AM
where's my gremlins? Or are yall to young to remember those :)
Oh, you would be surprised what I can still remember. I'm just waiting for a Langolier mod.... gremlins were just too noisy and en masse.

Fluffy (l2032)

I've put a release on github. It seems stable and playable, Feenix spawns with an event (very much like the Thrumbo), and eats/sets fires, as well as just heats up any room he's in.

He's supposed to drop a heart that also heats rooms up (but more manageably so), and is very valuable, but for some reason my copy-pasting efforts from the thrumbo won't work on that one. Also the heart doesnt heat things up yet, but it is valuable at least :|. It's called Living Fire, feel free to spawn a few with devmode and make your colony insta-rich ;).

As for the rain behaviour - I'll get to it at some point :P I think I'll use my new found skills to work out cat behaviour next, seems to make more sense to spend time on behaviour for a common pet than for a rare legendary animal - cool as he may be.

Fluffy (l2032)

Oh and feedback would be very much appreciated!

Florius

Quote from: l2032 on September 05, 2015, 08:30:35 AM
Oh and feedback would be very much appreciated!

Hehe got some feedback too! I seem to have some moonwalking siameese cats lol...

Fluffy (l2032)

Yep. That's a thing now, it's because they're from Asia, so you're looking at them from the other side of the globe.

(I'll fix it later tonight, just another reversed texture I missed)

Florius

Hehe already thought it was that, just wanted to mention it, no worries! :)