[A12d] Cats! (updated 23-9, hardier legendaries, lowered volume)

Started by Fluffy (l2032), August 25, 2015, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I focus on?

More domestic cats
61 (26.4%)
Wild cats (Lion, Sphynx, Tiger, etc. )
119 (51.5%)
Cat Food, other cat related objects.
51 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Fluffy (l2032)

I've solved most of the obvious bugs with the Feenix, he should be save to use. I've played a while testing various things and haven't encountered any major issues. I haven't touched anything major, but since I'm new to the whole C# coding thing, take some precautions and backup your save game if you plan to use this guy in an existing game (No guarantees this will work). New games should be perfectly fine.

He's a being of flame, and gains sustenance (food) from fires burning near him. If there are none, he'll set whatever is flammable thing is close on fire. He also naturally emits heat, and quite a lot of it. I really want to see some brave colonists taming this thing just to see what you guys can do with him. A dead Feenix drops his heart of Living Flame, which is in itself an incredibly valuable item - but I'll let you figure out what else it can do!

Also fixed the Siamese texture. This should be the last moonwalking you see for a while, sorry :P.

Florius

Aahww, I just laughed so hard when I saw the Siamese cats! But can't wait to play the feenix!

FMJ Penguin

jaguars aka panthers aka panthera aka etc....etc...

I'd ad some picks but honestly google image gallary has a plethora of pretty picks of every angle. Jags are just to smexy to NOT be in the game  ;D

https://www.google.com/search?q=panther&biw=1920&bih=993&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCoQsARqFQoTCKavxej_4McCFYhPkgodyFAHDA

Btw, very nice job so far guys. Loving all the kitties so far!
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 05, 2015, 07:05:42 PM
jaguars aka panthers aka panthera aka etc....etc...

I'd ad some picks but honestly google image gallary has a plethora of pretty picks of every angle. Jags are just to smexy to NOT be in the game  ;D
While I agree, I have bad experiences to get black cats looking good. It's kind of tricky to get a black cat with a black outline, and see anything more than a black blob in-game. Maybe with a larger cat it'll be better, will check it out!

Quote from: FMJ Penguin on September 05, 2015, 07:05:42 PM
Btw, very nice job so far guys. Loving all the kitties so far!
Thanks!

Now, for the latest update;
Cat behaviour is here! See the main post for updates.

Florius

About the cat behaviour, is it possible to let them cats small creatures like squirrels? ^^

Mine brings back mice and frogs only but sadly they aren't in rimworld!

harpo99999

I can confirm that cats DO hunt rabbits and are very successful at it, my families previous cat (when we lived on a farm) hunted and ATE any creature even slightly smaller than herself (she liked hunting the larger rabbits and took only a couple of days to eat and digest grown rabbits, the rabbit babies were only a snack for her and often brought the kills home to show off)

Fluffy (l2032)

I could try having them hunt squirrels and hares, though it wouldn't be hunting so much as a melee stand-off. I don't really want to go into changing prey animals to react properly, and the default behaviour would just lead to a lot of injured kittens...

Florius

Quote from: harpo99999 on September 06, 2015, 04:38:44 PM
I can confirm that cats DO hunt rabbits and are very successful at it, my families previous cat (when we lived on a farm) hunted and ATE any creature even slightly smaller than herself (she liked hunting the larger rabbits and took only a couple of days to eat and digest grown rabbits, the rabbit babies were only a snack for her and often brought the kills home to show off)
I forgot we have rabbits too in the game, sorry!

FridayBiology

early hunting and hauling skill would be cool, though would like to see high animal level requirement for ownership.

also i feel they need to be active late afternoon to midnight ish. and just sleep the rest.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Feirfec on September 06, 2015, 10:35:26 PM
early hunting and hauling skill would be cool, though would like to see high animal level requirement for ownership.
Domestic cats are too small to haul stuff. This is defined by bodysize in core, I don't really want to have cats being able to haul when yorkies can't. Hunting is troublesome for reasons I mentioned above. Although now that I think about it, I could do a one-shot kill type of ambush. Not as immersive as actual hunting, but it's worth a try.

Quote from: Feirfec on September 06, 2015, 10:35:26 PM
also i feel they need to be active late afternoon to midnight ish. and just sleep the rest.
I can change their default resting/'working' hours, I'm already overriding the relevant jobgiver anyway. Sleeping the rest of the day might be trickier. Ideally I'ld like their rested level to just decrease quicker, I'll look into it.

Thanks for the good ideas all around guys, you people keep me motivated into fiddling with the cats! :D

Florius

And you keep motivating me on playing Rimworld with my cat colony!

Fluffy (l2032)

Changed the cats default 'work schedule' to allow sleeping at any time except dusk & dawn. I haven't play tested the effects, but I imagine they'll take dispersed naps throughout the day. Or they may just sleep all day. Let me know!

edit; after thinking about it some more, they will probably either sleep from 10 - 18 or 22 - 6, not quite the intended behaviour. Hang on while I tweak this.
edit2; tweaked it a bit. Cats will sleep A LOT now. They'll sleep during the night (22-6), and take a random nap starting between 10 and 14, ending between 15 and 18. Still haven't play tested, not sure of side effects. Might have to decrease the nap length, let me know!

pigman999999999

wow i wast thinking tigers and things like that i was thinking house cats

FridayBiology

is it normal for the Feenix to spawn on your second day?
and does rain kill/weaken it, as the Feenix spawned fire to draw substance ... :S
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Fluffy (l2032)

Spawn of the Feenix is completely random, so yeah, it can happen at the start. He doesn't get hurt by rain as of yet (I'm worried he'd die too often, since the fires he makes lead the game to forcibly make it rain). He does go away after a little bit (exactly like the Thrumbo, whose code I copypasta'd for that).

Now I want to make a new animal; "Spawn of the Feenix" it'll be 'orrible! orrible!