[A12d] Cats! (updated 23-9, hardier legendaries, lowered volume)

Started by Fluffy (l2032), August 25, 2015, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I focus on?

More domestic cats
61 (26.4%)
Wild cats (Lion, Sphynx, Tiger, etc. )
119 (51.5%)
Cat Food, other cat related objects.
51 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: harpo99999 on September 10, 2015, 07:21:44 PM
how about a 'night' cat perhaps based upon a PANTHER(not for arctic, but most seen in jungle and showing up less in each of the cooler temps by temp), and also a domestic size version as well with the domestic prefering to sleep on colonists(if possible)
Sounds good, although I'm not sure how to set the 'spawnrate' by temperature. As for sleeping on colonists, thats definitely possible, I actually explicitly disabled it because it looked weird. The cats simply sleep on the ground as far as the game is concerned, and don't take up space in the bed. They do sleep on 'available' space in beds by the way, that is - the footend of 2x1 beds, and the side and foot ends of the 2x2 beds.

I didn't get to an update for cats tonight, been busy with the damn animals tab, working around some restrictions...

harpo99999

thanks, the reason I asked for a black domestic is that I have lived with a BIG(20 pounds of muscle) black cuddle cat that used to sleep on me ANY chance he got and really loved to sleep on me all night, , and also have always (as far as I remember) have liked the look of a BLACK cat(preferably with glowing GREEN eyes, but would also accept gold eyes(prefereably glowing))and there ar one or two other forumites that are also keen on BLACK cats

Fluffy (l2032)

Hmm, the problem with black cats is that it's hard to get them detailed, without breaking the core style. That is core uses black outlines or fills for features such as eyes, mouth, some highlights, etcetera. All the cats so far have black eyes to match that, but black on black doesn't exactly work very well. This is also the reason the only black cat in the pack is actually grey :P.

As for sleeping on pawns, the problem is that if I start weighing particular spots, I have to start doing all kinds of additional checks so that you don't get a clusterbomb of cats sleeping on the same spot, because cats are currently not aware of their fellow's sleeping destinations. I do make a check that no cat is sleeping at a spot when the cat decides to take a nap, but there's a period between deciding to sleep somewhere and actually getting there where other cats may also decide to sleep on the same spot. Since the game works with a default sleeping time table, cats clustering to the same location is actually really common.

That said, I did randomize cats' sleeping schedules a bit in the last release, so that might mitigate the issue somewhat. I'll also try and look into making cats prefer to sleep on their master's bed, that should be cool. You can then designate a crazy cat lady who'll always sleep with dozens of cats on her bed :P.

Note to self: TODO: make cats prefer sleeping on owners bed, look into releasing restrictions on bed sleeping spots, check disallowing sleeping on stove.

FMJ Penguin

Oh hellz yes,
If you got cats you MUST have a crazy cat lady!
That's just a given :) Would be funny to see though if you can actually get something like that to work out without blowing us up into a giant ball of cat fur and pawn chunks.

Although heck, that sounds entertaining too lol
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Fluffy (l2032)

updated; icicat and tweaks to sleeping AI; cats will prefer to sleep on their master's bed (some of the time), and will no longer sleep on stoves. For real this time.

Topper

are cats meant to be rare..I've been playing with this mod since its sstart and havnt seen a cat yet :(

lokidemon

Quote from: Topper on September 11, 2015, 10:58:59 PM
are cats meant to be rare..I've been playing with this mod since its sstart and havnt seen a cat yet :(
Can you spawn a cat in developer mode? Otherwise check if your mod has been installed properly (a folder named Cats! is in your Mods folder) and  is activated in-game.

Fluffy (l2032)

also domestic cats don't spawn in the wild, look for traders to get them.

I would like to know if wild cats do appear though, I'm not 100% certain I set that up correctly.

The two legendaries show up by event only.

limefoega

maybe you sould increase the icicat's cold resistance? its lower then a squirrel's cold resistance

Purble1234

Quote from: limefoega on September 12, 2015, 12:14:19 PM
maybe you sould increase the icicat's cold resistance? its lower then a squirrel's cold resistance

Mine nearly died of frostbite

Purble1234

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on September 12, 2015, 05:37:07 AM
also domestic cats don't spawn in the wild, look for traders to get them.

I would like to know if wild cats do appear though, I'm not 100% certain I set that up correctly.

The two legendaries show up by event only.

Plus I just found a feenix on a trader ship can't remember which one though

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: limefoega on September 12, 2015, 12:14:19 PM
Ehm, oops. I should know better after my the Feenix died by heatstroke in my first tests. Will fix!

Quote from: Purble1234 on September 12, 2015, 05:48:51 PM
I'll look into that, I suppose it's ok if they show very very rarely, was it at least properly expensive?

lokidemon

Quote from: Purble1234 on September 12, 2015, 05:48:51 PM

Imagine that ship in space... everybody running around, dumping buckets of water on the poor Feenix, just to keep him from setting the ship aflame. - "PLEASE buy him, he's destroying us!!!"
Or maybe they were keeping him outside in space tied to the ship by a leash. A tungsten leash.

Fluffy (l2032)

maybe they used him as the boiler for their central heating system? :P That's what I plan on doing if I ever manage to tame one in my own game, so far I've just got a bunch of colonists with burn wounds...

edit: changed Icicat not to die of hypothermia, left trader stuff. They should show up only rarely, and be massively expensive anyway. I haven't been able to tweak the odds of one appearing, if anyone has a good idea that allows them to be sold but not carried, that'd be nice.

Purble1234

I'll look into that, I suppose it's ok if they show very very rarely, was it at least properly expensive?

Yes it was about 4000 silver