[A12d] Cats! (updated 23-9, hardier legendaries, lowered volume)

Started by Fluffy (l2032), August 25, 2015, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I focus on?

More domestic cats
61 (26.4%)
Wild cats (Lion, Sphynx, Tiger, etc. )
119 (51.5%)
Cat Food, other cat related objects.
51 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 231

lokidemon

FMJ Penguin

Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Topper

The pheonix cat came to visit and I had to shoot it with my turret since it was lighting everything on fire..it drop an item that sold for 3500 silver..since it wasnt very hard to kill I think the value is a little out of balance..also it didnt drop any skin..I wish there was a way to shoo it away without killing it.

cucumpear

I have some unexpected behaviour to report for v. A12d_9b (if this is on purpose please ignore me): I've shot both Feenices and Icicats with turrets and they don't retaliate, they only do when I attack them with a pawn. On some maps it makes the legendaries very easy to hunt. While useful this feels a bit OP.
Secondly, a personal opinion: I find the cat sounds a tad loud relatively to the vanilla animals.

Thanks for adding adorable killing machines to my favourite game!
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Topper on September 21, 2015, 03:30:45 AM
The pheonix cat came to visit and I had to shoot it with my turret since it was lighting everything on fire..it drop an item that sold for 3500 silver..since it wasnt very hard to kill I think the value is a little out of balance..also it didnt drop any skin..I wish there was a way to shoo it away without killing it.
The hearts are supposed to be valuable (also quite useful, they heat/cool forever, without need of power.). I will look into how easy they are to kill though, I've noticed this in my own playthrough as well.

Question though, are you using Combat Realism? I've noticed animals aren't really balanced against the new combat system, and as a whole are just easily dispatched.

Quote from: lautnitha on September 21, 2015, 04:03:17 AM
I have some unexpected behaviour to report for v. A12d_9b (if this is on purpose please ignore me): I've shot both Feenices and Icicats with turrets and they don't retaliate, they only do when I attack them with a pawn. On some maps it makes the legendaries very easy to hunt. While useful this feels a bit OP.
Secondly, a personal opinion: I find the cat sounds a tad loud relatively to the vanilla animals.

Thanks for adding adorable killing machines to my favourite game!
The turrets not aggroing is not on purpose, however that's just an XML implementation of existing code - I didn't do anything that should cause this. Could you perhaps see if the same applies to vanilla animals (Thrumbo in particular?).

Will look into tweaking the sounds downward a bit, or maybe add a bit more diversity. For me personally it was not so much volume as the same sound over and over that got on my nerves a bit after playing for a couple of hours. Then again, real cats have that effect too :P.

cucumpear

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on September 21, 2015, 04:25:59 AM
The turrets not aggroing is not on purpose, however that's just an XML implementation of existing code - I didn't do anything that should cause this. Could you perhaps see if the same applies to vanilla animals (Thrumbo in particular?).

Will look into tweaking the sounds downward a bit, or maybe add a bit more diversity. For me personally it was not so much volume as the same sound over and over that got on my nerves a bit after playing for a couple of hours. Then again, real cats have that effect too :P.

I'll try it next time a thrumbo appears, usually I just turret hunt squirrels and such, which don't generally attack when harmed.
As for the sound I think it may have more bass than the vanilla sounds. I'll turn the bass on my end and see if that makes a difference.   :D

Fluffy (l2032)

I think there may be an oversight in the aggro code in vanilla, where turrets just don't aggro. I'll fiddle with it tonight, if noone has tested it yet.

cucumpear

I just spawned a few animals, thrumbos and rhinos don't retaliate either. Turning down the bass does make a bit of a difference, but I think lowering the volume would be awesome. :)

Topper

Quote from: Topper on September 21, 2015, 03:30:45 AM
The hearts are supposed to be valuable (also quite useful, they heat/cool forever, without need of power.). I will look into how easy they are to kill though, I've noticed this in my own playthrough as well.

Question though, are you using Combat Realism? I've noticed animals aren't really balanced against the new combat system, and as a whole are just easily dispatched.
Nope. the mods I'm using are pretty tame. No big changes like that. In this case it was a vanilla turret without any research upgrades..took two or three rounds fairly close. And the 'Cat didnt attack back or flee. Its death yowl broke my heart :(

Fluffy (l2032)

I'll bump it's health a bit, maybe give em some natural armor.

Purble1234

Dunno if it's just me because feenixs dominate every thing because pawns panic when caught on fire but icicats are easy to kill because frostbite doesn't make pawns panic ( I know this because I do test fights( cruel, I know)).

Fluffy (l2032)

Yeah, making em a bit more hardy is on my list. As are a lot of other things :P

Ectoplasm

Thrumbo's wont aggro if shot by a gun tower of some type, I've killed them with bog standard sentry guns to some of those included in the more vanilla turrets mod - even manned turret guns don't aggro them.

They'll only aggro onto colonists. This goes for all animals in game as far as I know. I guess it's either a bug, or limitation in vanilla somewhere / to be implemented down the line.

Fluffy (l2032)

I've roughly doubled the health on both the Icicat and Feenix (from 2.5 to 5.5 and 4.5 respectively) and gave both some natural armor. Let me know if it's too much!

Lowered the volume of cat calls (the 'ambient' sounds, sounds triggered by wounds, death and anger are unaffected, as I figure these require notice, and are not so common anyway).

New release is up on github, get it from the front page.