Chickpocalypse Now

Started by Pezz, August 26, 2015, 12:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pezz

So here I am, setting up base in a boreal forest with the goal of creating an army of War Alpacas, when a group of chickens decide to brave the sub-zero temperatures to join my colony. Okay, I think as I continue on, oblivious, letting them do their thing.

I cull all but one of the oldest males and one or two of the older females just to prevent overbreeding, all the while storing eggs in my freezer. Little did I know, and much to my horror, freezing eggs doesn't stop them developing, and, after a couple of raids, I look back to my base interior to see:

I feel like I'm playing Dwarf Fortress all over again, but instead of cats, our livestock explosion is decidedly more... feathery. Needless to say, I'm now separating males from females.

Alitaria

Suddenly Rimworld turns into Dungeon keeper :3
Context is key when discussing RimWorld in public

Tagasaki

chicks... chicks everywhere.

Mihsan

You are lucky that they did not eat your whole food storage and plants in farming area. Those chickens are wormhole for food.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Pezz

Quote from: Mihsan on August 26, 2015, 02:23:41 AM
You are lucky that they did not eat your whole food storage and plants in farming area. Those chickens are wormhole for food.

Thankfully, I caught the explosive boom in the chicken population as they were literally flooding out the freezer doors. As of writing this, all the offspring have been culled (and I now have a decent supply of frozen chicken > 3>). Separated the males from the females, but darn, I don't think I was even nearly ready to be taking care of animals like this. I just don't have the space for them, and what with it being Winter, in a Boreal Forest, while under the effects of a volcanic winter to boot, I can't even let them outside D:

Jamini

Quote from: Pezz on August 26, 2015, 10:20:58 AMand what with it being Winter, in a Boreal Forest, while under the effects of a volcanic winter to boot, I can't even let them outside D:

And this, my friend, is where you are incorrect. This is the best time to let them outside, then forbid the door.

It works for unwanted colonists.

CB elite

Quote from: Jamini on August 27, 2015, 08:19:38 AM
Quote from: Pezz on August 26, 2015, 10:20:58 AMand what with it being Winter, in a Boreal Forest, while under the effects of a volcanic winter to boot, I can't even let them outside D:

And this, my friend, is where you are incorrect. This is the best time to let them outside, then forbid the door.

It works for unwanted colonists.

This... this is what RimWorld does to people...

Technical Ben

Quote from: Pezz on August 26, 2015, 10:20:58 AM
Quote from: Mihsan on August 26, 2015, 02:23:41 AM

Thankfully, I caught the explosive boom in the chicken population as they were literally flooding out the freezer doors. As of writing this, all the offspring have been culled (and I now have a decent supply of frozen chicken > 3>). Separated the males from the females, but darn, I don't think I was even nearly ready to be taking care of animals like this. I just don't have the space for them, and what with it being Winter, in a Boreal Forest, while under the effects of a volcanic winter to boot, I can't even let them outside D:

This has given me an idea... I had a "flash frozen" chicken incident when the chickens went outside during winter... but if I could cause such and event when required... hmmm...

milon

^ Easy. Create a freezer set to max cold. Herd the chickens in, lock the doors, start up a KFC franchise. ;D

Technical Ben

My actual idea did not work first attempt, as those inside set fires... so I'll have to make sure nothing flammable is around next time... or turn up the heat.

TitaniumTurtle

This sounds like the makings of a fantastic defensive system. Just build a few small buildings around your base in which you store eggs that continuously hatch. Then when attacked, swarm the field of battle with a flood of chickens. Your enemies will be trapped in combat with your avian army, and then you manually control your people/turrets to forcibly attack your distracted foe. Who needs a force field when you can have a chicken field?

milon

The only thing missing from that setup is trained boomrats/boomalopes.  Because boom.

Tericc

Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on August 31, 2015, 11:57:18 AM
This sounds like the makings of a fantastic defensive system. Just build a few small buildings around your base in which you store eggs that continuously hatch. Then when attacked, swarm the field of battle with a flood of chickens. Your enemies will be trapped in combat with your avian army, and then you manually control your people/turrets to forcibly attack your distracted foe. Who needs a force field when you can have a chicken field?

Link would be proud

TitaniumTurtle

Quote from: milon on August 31, 2015, 02:22:47 PM
The only thing missing from that setup is trained boomrats/boomalopes.  Because boom.

That would be fantastic! Slay your enemies and cook fried chicken at the same time!