Battle stations and alert system

Started by Valdemar FIN, January 03, 2014, 07:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar FIN

Hello! I'm new to the the forum so I'm sorry if this has been already suggested or discussed, but this didn't show up in list of suggestions.

What I am suggesting is:

Red alert, Amber/Orange alert and Green alert system.

Green alert

Default situation, workers go out normally and there are no threats in the horizon.
Used most of the time, unless raiders appear or animal gets mad.

Amber/Orange alert

Used when raiders have appeared or animal has gone mad, but when they have not yet attacked you base.
When Amber/Orange alert is in effect, everyone stays within home zone, and nobody doesn't wander out of it. Preset guard settlers grab their preset guns, but they won't get into their positions just yet.

Red Alert

Used when raiders have started assault or animal has gotten too close for comfort. All guard units will be automatically drafted and sent into their preassigned positions (behind sandbags etc.). All other settlers will run to the area/rooms that have been set to safe zone. All auto-turrets will automatically turn on if they were set off, and some preset lamps will switch off.

Red alert would also have different setting such as setting 1, 2 and 3. Lets say that setting 1 makes guards run behind sandbags in front of base, 2 makes them run to positions in entrance hall, and 3 makes them them to fortify just in front of safe zone. Safe zone would be settable just like home zone now, but it would have lilac colour to it.
Player can manually set them all to match up with his/her preferences.

Other mechanics
The player controls these settings with buttons that are, for example, in upper corner.
Other unit settings could be paramedic, who stays behind front line and rescues people automatically and repairer, who fixes door/turret, until it is in brink of destruction and by then runs away. Repairers could also weld door shut which will increase amount of HP cap in door, but it prevents anyone opening it. If welded door is not destroyed during assault, it will take slightly longer time cut it open.
Player could also tag settlers to ignore the alert if they are farmers or miners indoors.
Also when red or orange/amber alert is in effect, all lamps will glow in red or orange colour.

Thracian

Best. Idea. Ever. I am totally for it! This needs to be added. It's just almost unpossible to set all your players on their position if you have 70+.

bigwolf2101

yes this is something I want badly in the game as win raiders show up my stupid pawns decide to go pick up a rock next to them

Trensicourt

Great Idea. I don't want my colonists to die because they are stupid.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Valdemar FIN

Quote from: Trensicourt on January 04, 2014, 10:32:28 AM
Great Idea. I don't want my colonists to die because they are stupid.

That's what I thought. Single click of a button prevents your workers from derping outside during firefight and taking a bullet into their wall-eyed face.

king komodo

While I do like this general idea I would just prefer it to simply be a green or red setting for simplicity sake. And also I don't think there is a need to grab guns since colonists carry them, at least mine do, at all times. Now if Tynan adds a system such as only being able to carry 1 item whether it be something like a flash light or a special drill over a weapon then we might need that mechanic. All of that being said if any of this does get implemented it needs the good old WW2 air raid siren to be played when they go to the top alert level.

Galileus

Quote from: king komodo on January 04, 2014, 07:41:49 PM
All of that being said if any of this does get implemented it needs the good old WW2 air raid siren to be played when they go to the top alert level.

I suddenly realised I'm in love with you. So I hope you're a nice redhead of female species. If not, I'm turning gay.

No, seriously, so simple, so wonderful! :D

palandus

Oh ya, sexy WW2 Air Raid siren. That does it best, doesn't it?

Ender

Quote from: Galileus on January 04, 2014, 08:40:57 PM
Quote from: king komodo on January 04, 2014, 07:41:49 PM
All of that being said if any of this does get implemented it needs the good old WW2 air raid siren to be played when they go to the top alert level.

I suddenly realised I'm in love with you. So I hope you're a nice redhead of female species. If not, I'm turning gay.

No, seriously, so simple, so wonderful! :D

I completely agree!
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Untrustedlife

I like this idea.
Well thought out simple and realistic.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

TechnicPyro

If there is to be something such as sirens, I would guess it would be packaged in the "Fear Tech" research spreading fear amongst colonists of the impending attack, giving them more loyalty towards the colony.

GemCat

This would be rather nice so I don't have to take time to tell my colonists where to go... also so none of my non-combat personnel go out to gather when there are bullets going everywhere. An alert system would definitely be nice.

Valdemar FIN

Quote from: TechnicPyro on January 05, 2014, 06:48:08 PM
If there is to be something such as sirens, I would guess it would be packaged in the "Fear Tech" research spreading fear amongst colonists of the impending attack, giving them more loyalty towards the colony.

That is wonderful idea.