Certain Amounts in Stockpiles

Started by LouisTBR, August 27, 2015, 07:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

So, I have two wargs. They sleep in a room with no food. The female miscarried her unborn baby due to starvation, so I put in a stockpile of meat like I do with hay for the muffalos. My colonists put in 75 boomalope meat, which they are never going to get through in 2.5 days. So, I was thinking, shouldn't there be an option at the top like with the quality that lets you put in a certain amount? This would be very helpful!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Mikhail Reign

Use the quality control slider. Set the stockpile to accept meat in 75%-100% range. This means th colonists will move any meat that been sittin there to long and is starting to degrade. Not the most optimal solution, but it works.

I generally we it so that my cook station is fed from meat that is only in 0%-75% condition, so it will only take food that has sat outside for a while, which with proper prioritys, means that given enough food the animals get fed first then my colonists eat; but when there is little food my colonists will get the last while the animals go hungry.

But yeah an amount slider would be great.

LouisTBR

Yep. When you bring in one thing, we all want another straight away afterwards. But, yes, you can use the sliders.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

CatHerder

I think the best way to solve this issue would be a new object called a "feeding tough" that takes up one square and can be made out of any resource.  It would act as a critical priority stockpile zone for a chosen resource and would have the option to set a maximum stored amount of X the selected resource.  I think it should also have an option that says "refill when capacity is below" Y.  Selecting the resource would work as normal for selecting what goes in a stockpile zone (maybe with the non food items grayed out so you cant select).  For example you could create a feeding trough that has the properties of a critical importance stockpile zone for Hay or Potatoes and colonists will fill it up to have 60 units of hay (or potatoes) and will refill the trough when the level dips below 15.  an example of a situation this setting may be useful is for a barn that has two or three pigs in it.

Setting a "refill when capacity reaches Y" feature would take extra programming, but it would keep a colonist with hauling prioritized from wanting to refill the trough after each meal animal meal which wastes the colonists time and energy when the trough still has an adequate amount of food for multiple more meals.  Refilling after each meal could be solved also by making colonists only refill the trough when it reaches empty, but by setting a Y minimum threshold it would give colonists a jump on refilling the trough while animals keep eating so they are less likely to have an empty dish.  Higher Y would give more time to react to the diminishing trough.

It might be good to add to the programming that if hay is selected as a resource that can go in the trough, then colonists will prioritize putting hay in there before other resources that can go in the trough.  Reason: Hay isn't good for colonist consumption but other foods are.

Toggle

Or give them access to the freezer with the food/add a secondary room next to their sleeping room that's refridgerated to store their eating meat. Although a food bowl thing could be used like CatHerder suggested.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Bancheis

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 28, 2015, 05:46:32 PM
Or give them access to the freezer with the food/add a secondary room next to their sleeping room that's refridgerated to store their eating meat.

This is a good plan. I usually end up putting a separate refrigerated/freezer section near the barn for my animals so their food doesn't go bad. In fact, most of the animals have a very low minimum temperature comfort level, so you could just refrigerate/freeze the room they sleep in as well for maximum efficiency.

DustBust

I was looking for some sort of feeding container for my animals when I first started too, I think it would add a nice layer to the animal function but I tend to keep grass eating animals only since meat eaters are a hassle.

Bancheis

Quote from: DustBust on August 28, 2015, 11:21:17 PM
I think it would add a nice layer to the animal function but I tend to keep grass eating animals only since meat eaters are a hassle.
That's what raiders are for. Food for the meat eaters. I get plenty :)

LouisTBR

Most of the animals you can tame can withstand below freezing temperatures, so you could freeze some human meat in there and the animals won't get cold.