Feeling limited with priorities

Started by Fishirboy, August 27, 2015, 02:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishirboy

Messing around with priorities are excellent but there is more that could be added as in moving the tasks around. and giving the player more levels of priority. Level 1-4 is not very much for me.

Let me give an example:

I want hunting to be further back and make hauling come forward. Or I would like to make smith through craft decrease in priority but I still want hauling to be a higher priority. I know there is no way at the moment to do this but would it not me simple to give me 9 levels vs only 4?

Edit: 3:10 8/27/15

Also could there be a grouping mechanic were they have there own scheduled and priority list? (Referring back to Dwarf Fortress)

GamerGuy

I agree I wish for just 1 or two more priority numbers, 1-5 maybe

zandadoum

i thought like you too. then i learned how to properly use the <=== ===> priorities too, which gives you 4*20=80 possibilities

Toggle

Yeah, as zand pointed out, you're not utilizing it fully. Stuff in the front has higher priority then that in the back, meaning you're ignoring a whole number, 1, which could be used. Like if construct and repair are 2, repair is 2.10 because it's behind construct while construct is 2.9, making repair lower priority.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

IronjawJimbo

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 27, 2015, 03:28:49 PM
Yeah, as zand pointed out, you're not utilizing it fully. Stuff in the front has higher priority then that in the back, meaning you're ignoring a whole number, 1, which could be used. Like if construct and repair are 2, repair is 2.10 because it's behind construct while construct is 2.9, making repair lower priority.

I think he is utilizing it as best he can. Even using the <<<<     and >>>> priority, there is still no way to do what he was asking. He still can't keep Crafting/Smithing and Haul as 4, but have them do Haul as the higher priority.

IronjawJimbo

Quote from: zandadoum on August 27, 2015, 03:19:05 PM
i thought like you too. then i learned how to properly use the <=== ===> priorities too, which gives you 4*20=80 possibilities

As I mentioned above, He still can't do what he would like to using these. Having more priority numbers could definitely help things out a bit

And considering he mentioned that he wishes he could move haul forward and hunting back, I'd say its a safe bet that he knows how the <<<< and >>>> work, they just can't do what it is he would like and so are no help.

Toggle

Quote from: IronjawJimbo on August 27, 2015, 04:25:53 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 27, 2015, 03:28:49 PM

I think he is utilizing it as best he can. Even using the <<<<     and >>>> priority, there is still no way to do what he was asking. He still can't keep Crafting/Smithing and Haul as 4, but have them do Haul as the higher priority.

He isn't though? He only has the 1st options as one, and if only the options on the left are 1, he could have any option on the right as priority 1 too, and keep the priorities the same. warden, construct, repair etc all on 2 could go to 1, all the 3's to 2 or leave some as 3, and boom. And for what he describes, doesn't make much sense.

Hunting is 4, hauling is 3, smith and craft are 4. He said make smith and craft decreases, for what? They're decreased to the lowest priority out of all of them at the moment. And hunting further back? You mean make it lower priority, if he did the lowering method I said in the above he could make the other smith and crafts 3 and keep hunting 4. Also not to mention this is a general thread, not even suggestions.

Quote from: IronjawJimbo on August 27, 2015, 04:28:39 PM
And considering he mentioned that he wishes he could move haul forward and hunting back, I'd say its a safe bet that he knows how the <<<< and >>>> work, they just can't do what it is he would like and so are no help.

As for this, he clearly doesn't because he doesn't fully utilize priority 1 with them.

TheSilencedScream

I have to agree with Zombie - his method is how I utilize the manual priority numbering.

I typically have the Firefight, Patient, and Flick all designated as "1" for everyone, then - based on their highest skill - I designate that skill as a "1" as well. I then designate "2" "3" and "4" based off their next highest skills and my needs for the colony. Going about it this way rarely leaves me with any issue.

EDIT: And this is a running thing. Micromanaging does require actual management; I change the numbering around as needed. It isn't effective at all in any possibility that comes to mind where you simply tag it at the start and then never touch it again.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

TLHeart

Oh but he can if he understands the priority system.

Here is how franklin the settler is set up now.
Franklin will do firefighting 1.0, Doctor 1.1, Patient 1.2, and flick 1.3 in that order. set to priority 1.
next he will do; warden 2.0, construction 2.1, repair 2.2, growing 2.3, plant cut 2.4, in that order, all set to priority 2.
next he has mining 3.0, hauling 3.1, cleaning 3.2  in that order, set to 3.

To make hauling come forward, set hauling to a 1, which for franklin it becomes job 1.4, or if you want franklin to construct first then haul, set hauling to a 2, and that job becomes job number 2.5.

The way he is approaching the job priorities, he is NOT actually changing most of the priorities.

Toggle

On a slightly related note, anyone else annoyed how we start on priority 3 for everything? I don't get the use for that, as now it requires 4 clicks to get it to less priority.

TLHeart

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 27, 2015, 05:04:15 PM
On a slightly related note, anyone else annoyed how we start on priority 3 for everything? I don't get the use for that, as now it requires 4 clicks to get it to less priority.

There were complaints about it being defaulted to 4.

The best default when changing to manual priorities, would be NOTHING, blank.

Toggle

Quote from: TLHeart on August 27, 2015, 05:34:29 PM

There were complaints about it being defaulted to 4.

But then they wouldn't do the skill at all, although actually I do see your point since you can always change it with 1 click.

akiceabear

If you right click it goes in the other direction.

Starting in the middle makes it easier to deprioritize one task, taking only one click rather than change all other priorities to be higher. I like the current system.

_alphaBeta_

I've always felt a few more numbers would still come in handy for full customization. If you wanted to reverse a colonists' roles completely from the default priority, there's no way to do this.

I'm also not a big fan of the manual priorities starting out at 3. I understand the logic of it to make going up and down initially easier, but I still don't like it. It's more clicks to turn tasks off completely, which is usually my first order of business.

I'll throw in my plug about presets for priorities as well. In modern context, it would seem we could build on the clothing system or similar to implement.

Quote from: TLHeart on August 27, 2015, 05:34:29 PM

Agree with this. If I'm selecting manual priorities, I have no issues starting with a clean slate and rearranging everything.

userfredle

Idk if anyone has said this yet, but you guys need to learn how the priorities function, from left to right, the pawns will consider a skill more important than a similar skill of the same number, for instance, a doctor with 1 will always heal first, even if his patient is at 1, this allows for the 4 numbers to spread out immensely, you SHOULD NOT need a higher priority than 3 on any colonist at any given time with how innumerous the skills are and the genius way theyre laid out in the overview.

So use your numbers to their fullest extent, you DONT need to set a skill a different number just cuz you want them to do it after another one.