Advanced Colonist Relations

Started by kdfsjljklgjfg, January 04, 2014, 05:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfsjljklgjfg

It would be great down the line for characters to develop strong relationships with one another in some way, be it best friends or rivals, or maybe even love. Maybe if one character's best friend dies in a bandit raid, he loses even more happiness, and gets a bonus to friendly chats with his friend. Maybe if an intense hatred comes up between two characters, they'll occasionally get into fights, and in the worst case scenario, kill another if the warden can't arrest them in time, without the impending warning of a mental break.

Some relationships could just be specific traits working in conjunction with one another, some could just be unavoidable happenstance (this colonist ate the last of our food while I was still hungry!). Things like this would serve to really make the colony come alive.

Also, seeing the impenetrable kill-zones that some people have created, this would provide a way for internal threats to materialize, giving people more to worry about than the next bandit attack. If someone keeps stealing things from someone he hates, or one of your characters is getting ambushed and beaten up by another, it would broaden the game experience beyond "have food and stay safe"

Galileus

I'm seriously running low on "I love you posts". Darn it.

I'll try to find an old topic with same-ish suggestion (though not touching on some subjects you bought up), with a great amount of nice points in it. I'll (maybe) do that when I'm not under such an... influence... from certain liquid chemicals, that make me declare love to everyone ;)

Untrustedlife

While i do like this idea, i do believe the dev plans on adding more internal risks ( creatures from the movie "The Thing" come to mind)
And assassins etc.

Still an awesome idea.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Galileus

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 04, 2014, 10:24:43 PM(creatures from the movie "The Thing" come to mind)

Only if the creatures are half foot tall and eat grain ;)

As for the previous topic I mentioned...

palandus

The only "Thing" in "The Thing" that would possibly fall under that category Galileus, is that head that sprouts legs and eye stalks.

I personally would rather not having "Things" in Rimworld. How would you the player know if there was a Thing in the group of colonists. How would you know if your entire colony was "Thing"(s)? Would you still be able to run a colony, if it was overrun completely by "Thing"(s)?

Untrustedlife

Internal risks are a good thing, and no they wouldn't infect, (all though not sure what the dev thinks) they would probably just kill people and steal dna and transform into that person, you could tell because your population was gradually going down....among other things.

I personally hope this game stays interesting and stays dwarf fortressy. Raiders are good..but we need more then that. It is good to have a variety of threats that come from different situations.

I saw it in one of the devs posts on these forums.
If done well i believe it could be in the game without, you know, being annoying.
--------------------------------------------------------

But we should probably not derail the thread.

This idea is still a great addition I hope gets added.
Just thought I would add a few oteh rideas for internal threats.
What is your opinion on teh assassins idea i keep seeing popping up around here.
Maybe some citizens could be "Agents" (as in they are contracted specifically to infiltrate and destroy part of your base or kill certain people.)
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

TechnicPyro

I agree with Palandus on this.  It has been stated that Tynan doesn't want aliens present in the game.  A DNA stealing, shape-shifting murderer seems extremely alien when compared to life (as far as us humans know) that already exists.

Untrustedlife

Link?

I see your point however.
But I did see the dev specifically mention "things" like in the thing.
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38.0

right here, along with megabeasts.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK

TechnicPyro

I am just going off of what Galileus has stated in some of his past psots.  I do not know the topic name of the link where he stated it, I'm just trusting Galileus.

Or I misread one of his posts...

palandus

Well if he wants to do that than sure. But, as the original "Thing" was an actual alien, it would go against what he said previously of no Aliens. Unless aliens are fine. Does that mean we will get Xenomorphs, Predators, Romulans and Klingons attacking the settlement? Or possibly Reavers (technically human but still)?

Unless he is referring to the Thing in the Thing Prequel (2011) rather than the Thing in the original John Carpenter one (1982). The 2011 one was simply a ravaging beast that did some basic disguising, whereas the 1982 one was a clever shapeshifter that only revealed its form if it was cornered or was at a significant advantage.

Galileus

Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 05, 2014, 06:48:05 PM

The dev specifically titles an idea "The Thing", saying nothing about it actually being the thing or any kind of infecting alien. He states a colonist becomes hostile due to something - it can be drugs, chemicals, parasite, mental breakdown... A parasite can slide under "no aliens" rule, as it may be very well considered a local fauna. As long as it is not some shape-shifting, actively hunting kind of alien.

Same goes for "megabeasts". No alien civs doesn't mean no alien squirrels.

Can we now rerail the topic? :P

TechnicPyro

Quote from: palandus on January 05, 2014, 08:15:30 PM
Unless he is referring to the Thing in the Thing Prequel (2011) rather than the Thing in the original John Carpenter one (1982). The 2011 one was simply a ravaging beast that did some basic disguising, whereas the 1982 one was a clever shapeshifter that only revealed its form if it was cornered or was at a significant advantage.

Technically it was the same Thing seeing as how it was a prequel to the original, only its method of stealth changed greatly.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Galileus on January 05, 2014, 10:25:26 PM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on January 05, 2014, 06:48:05 PM

The dev specifically titles an idea "The Thing", saying nothing about it actually being the thing or any kind of infecting alien. He states a colonist becomes hostile due to something - it can be drugs, chemicals, parasite, mental breakdown... A parasite can slide under "no aliens" rule, as it may be very well considered a local fauna. As long as it is not some shape-shifting, actively hunting kind of alien.

Same goes for "megabeasts". No alien civs doesn't mean no alien squirrels.

Can we now rerail the topic? :P

Actually it says the colonist turns into a "Ravaging Beast" pretty alien if you ask me, but you know...specifics...and the devblog mentions that diversity is important..makes big point about it.. and super intelligent god-robots are on the devblog as-well. Pretty alien as-well.

But i do believe that these are simply supposed to be variations of the human species (so they are just at different tech levels, not a separate species)  Which has just as-much diversity as adding "aliens"

A very unique idea which will work very well once finished.

QuoteThe core idea in the RimWorld universe is diversity. In the this setting, humanity is spread across the galaxy, yet lacks any way of traveling or communicating faster than light. Combined with the fact that stellar civilizations regress (due to war or plague) as often as they progress, this means that someone traveling between stars may end up interacting with people at any level of development, from pre-agricultural tribes to transcendent machine gods.

Your starting colonists in RimWorld are at a technological level in the middle of this span. But you may end up interacting with people at much lower and higher levels, as well as acquiring and using their tools and weapons. In RimWorld, a single fight can involve a bow and arrow, a revolver, a charged-shot pulse rifle, and a near-magical teleportation device.

8)

I still think it would be cool..

But yea we should rerail the topic.

A colonist should get to the point that he hates someone so much that they are willing to murder.

Colonists should also hit the other extreme.

Which would result in sucicide if ones "Soul mate" is killed.

I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK