Rimworld as a tabletop game

Started by andyprogrammer, August 28, 2015, 10:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyprogrammer

This new contest might be of interest to you tabletop game designers out there: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/contests/the-survival-challenge

Obviously, this made me think if Rimworld. I'll probably be working on a different submission for this contest, so I won't have the time/energy/chutzpah/legal right to make a Rimworld card game right now. But it did get me thinking.

Let's hear your ideas. Suppose you played make a game that fit into a small box (can fit 108 playing cards, or other pieces). What elements of Rimworld could you put in a tabletop game? What would the mechanics look like?

For me, I would make it cooperative. Make it about placing colonists on certain jobs to get the economy going, and then event cards would get increasingly bad. It would be resource-driven for sure.

Toggle

I'm replying something... give me an hour or two ;D

Edit: It's been two hours. I accidentally created an entire card game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So I'm detailing it. I don't know what to do with this now.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Listy

Quote from: andyprogrammer on August 28, 2015, 10:17:49 PM
This new contest might be of interest to you tabletop game designers out there: https://www.thegamecrafter.com/contests/the-survival-challenge

Obviously, this made me think if Rimworld. I'll probably be working on a different submission for this contest, so I won't have the time/energy/chutzpah/legal right to make a Rimworld card game right now. But it did get me thinking.

Let's hear your ideas. Suppose you played make a game that fit into a small box (can fit 108 playing cards, or other pieces). What elements of Rimworld could you put in a tabletop game? What would the mechanics look like?

For me, I would make it cooperative. Make it about placing colonists on certain jobs to get the economy going, and then event cards would get increasingly bad. It would be resource-driven for sure.

You'd probably want it to be a card game, rather than a table top or Board game. Maybe with counters.
It'd be rather hard (although it could work) to build Rimworld as a tabletop game.

Toggle

Yeah. The thing I'm doing is a card game, board game wouldn't work out very well.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

milon

I happen to know that OP has created multiple games, both board and card.  ZOMBIE2, you should consider PMing him and get some feedback/ideas on what to do with your game.

Edit - I just read the link. I think I'd try to make a co-op game with the option of players deciding to go it alone (adds the option to betray, backstab, etc). Not sure if I could keep it small enough though. ;)

Coenmcj

Can't check the link from here, but I think it could work, similiar to something like how the Battlestar tabletop game works, maybe, complete with the "don't know who's a traitor" thing
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite