Flu - Unbalanced?

Started by DustBust, August 28, 2015, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustBust

I had a colonist get the flu, I thought no biggie, had a hospital, sterile room, vitals monitor, legendary hospital bed and plenty of med kits, it still took over five nights and I noticed you can't force them out of bed like you used too. To me this is quite a long time especially if it happens in the beginning and the flu still progressed to Major while having all of this.

Bancheis

This is a known bug. It has been brought to the attention of the developers in the following post.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15329.0

Nebbie

What's great is when a colonist who's got a healthy immune system in his 30s dies of flu because it works just like an infection. My first A12 colony lost a guy that way, he was in a medical bed with a vitals monitor almost the whole time, too.

SlimeCrusher

I'm i seriously the only one who wants to keep it's colonists in bed while getting infection/disease? That way they heal faster, afaik.
But i agree, sometimes it's near impossible to keep a colonist alive IF he doesn't stay on bed all the time, and get's treatment constantly. I've lost a guy to 99% infection (or disease i can't remember), seriously? 99%?

Nebbie

Quote from: SlimeCrusher on September 06, 2015, 07:32:00 PM
I'm i seriously the only one who wants to keep it's colonists in bed while getting infection/disease? That way they heal faster, afaik.
But i agree, sometimes it's near impossible to keep a colonist alive IF he doesn't stay on bed all the time, and get's treatment constantly. I've lost a guy to 99% infection (or disease i can't remember), seriously? 99%?

They do heal faster, but that's not realistic; people don't lie around in bed 24/7 just because they have the flu or an infection. The problem lies in the way it's just a constant race between immunity and disease amount (with vitals monitor and bed quality speeding up immunity by the same amount regardless), the first seconds matter just as much as the last; in the real world, a doctor with an EKG is useless to someone who's just come down with the flu, but lifesaving when an they illness has progessed a lot further.
Brushing aside realism for a moment, there's a severe problem currently with bedridden colonists in that they tend to have mental breaks due to becoming joy-deprived and hospitals not usually being good enough to be considered very beautiful (it's quite odd that sterile tile is neutral for beauty). Having them not need to be in bed constantly to maximize survival would help greatly; it wouldn't hurt someone with an infection to take an hour to sit down and watch TV instead of lay in bed.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

What I do, and this works about 99 percent of the time, is treat the ill colonist like a child. The child/colonist will start to get fidgety so I will let them get out of bed, have them do something quick, then tell them to go back to bed. I will have people feed my sick colonist and make sure that my doctors are there the second they need treatment to keep things from getting to back, and if all else fails, you can cut the limb off at last second
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Shurp

OK, so what is the deal with the flu anyway?  Since when does a person with a flu require half a dozen medkits full of trauma supplies to treat?  I'm rapidly running out of medical supplies thanks to these guys.  I'm almost tempted to add flu to my list of "load autosave" events.

==Edit==

Well, I just solved the flu problem.  The secret is to select "Doctor care, but no medicine" on your Health menu.  Then he'll stop eating medkits.  Eventually he will get better, or die.  If he goes mad from being stuck in his bedroom just arrest him and tie him down in the prison.  Once he gets better you can let him go.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

OK, nevermind, flu is now an automatic load auto-save event.  Flu takes longer to heal from than having an arm amputated, meaning that if they lie in bed long enough they're guaranteed to get the -20 totally joy deprived penalty, go crazy, and require shooting in the head to keep under control.  It's totally unbalanced.  Until it's fixed, I'll simply refuse to play with it.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

they stay in bed until they go crazy because you told them to...If patient is prioritized that highly, they'll stay in bed until insane.

Turn off the patient job on the sick patient when joy gets low, draft them out of bed and cancel draft and they'll go do joy stuff until they're full on joy.  When they get tired, they'll go back to bed and stay there until drafted out again.

Livingston I Presume

If it really annoys some players so much, just Dev Mode it away.  (though I do realize that using Dev Mode can take a lot out of them game and ruin it)

Shurp

Yes, but if I let them leave the bed then they're walking around with an untreated infection.  Judging by how rimworld behaves I assume that means I'll have to start amputating limbs soon to keep them alive.

Limdood

Quote from: Shurp on November 11, 2015, 07:02:59 AM
Yes, but if I let them leave the bed then they're walking around with an untreated infection.  Judging by how rimworld behaves I assume that means I'll have to start amputating limbs soon to keep them alive.

nah, it just means immunity will rise slower for an hour or two while they're out of bed.  It doesn't come up for infection or plague because they're so short, but for flu and sleeping sickness, the disease progresses slowly enough that a few hours here and there make a negligible difference.

Shurp

"A few hours here and there", what, I have to micromanage how long they stay out of bed?

*click* load autosave <--- much easier.

mokonasakura

The real fun one to get is sleeping sickness. Feels like an entire year before the colonist affected will do anything. Had this happen to a colonist, finally recovered, 2 days later someone else got it, recovered, another 2 days someone else got it. Was the worst shit I had to deal with I could manually get them out of bed but if I didn't they would go berserk and risk death all because of a fake sickness that takes a year to "heal".

Britnoth

Quote from: Bancheis on August 28, 2015, 11:42:22 PM
This is a known bug. It has been brought to the attention of the developers in the following post.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15329.0

QuoteQuote
When colonists are set to highest priority as patients they will stay in bed even after they are treated for diseases, like malaria or the plague, until it goes away.

I think they shouldn't stay in bed after they are treated. It will be probably changed for A13. Thanks.

Oh wow, someone makes a bug report about entirely intended behaviour, and it is going to get 'fixed' into a buggy state? really?

Resting in a medical bed with a vitals monitor is aprox +18% immunity gain over walking around. I do not want to lose that for 16 hours a day colonists are awake for when they have a serious infection.

If you don't want that, that is what the work priority is for...

QuoteQuote
The only thing I have noticed that seems to be out of priority order is doctors do not treat patients when they themselves are patients, even when their doctoring skill is set to highest priority, which it always is for me. I will keep an eye on this, and see if I am just mistaken. Perhaps someone who has more free time to test this can shed some light on it?

I couldn't reproduce this one. Please post a new topic if you encounter it again, best with repro steps.

Again, entirely intended behaviour. Doctors will not stand around while injured on the off chance someone else gets hurt after they do and needs treatment.

The only issue I have seen with patients is them remaining in bed and resting when other work is higher priority AFTER they wake up and no longer need treatment. Maybe pawns classed as resting need jobgiver checks more often.