Flu - Unbalanced?

Started by DustBust, August 28, 2015, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So all I have to do is lower the "patient" priority and they'll get up and feed themselves/etc. if they've been treated?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mokonasakura

Quote from: Shurp on November 17, 2015, 05:38:33 PM
So all I have to do is lower the "patient" priority and they'll get up and feed themselves/etc. if they've been treated?
You also have to draft and undraft them to reset what they are currently doing or else they wont get up.

Shurp

OK, well that didn't work.  Yes, it did allow the patient to get up and do stuff once in a while.  But then his minor flu went to major, then to extreme, and then he died.

OK, so flu doesn't work.

And loading the autosave didn't work right either.  I went back two days and the same guy *still* got the flu.  I'm starting to not like this game.  What is the actual process for removing the flu from the configuration before I start another game?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Ahhh, I think I found it --

C:\Rimworld\RimWorld914Win\Mods\Core\Defs\IncidentDefs\Incidents_Bad_Disease.xml

So just set the frequency to zero, figure out where to save the modded file, load the file, and start over, whee!

Shurp

Or... maybe not.  The code specifies that I have to change Biomes.xml, so I'll probably have to start a whole new world, not just a new game to test it.  And who knows if the game will actually accept 9140 mean days between disease instead of 140...

The real problem is that a disease basically means a dead colonist.  This is fine if you have 10 but a catastrophe if you only have 5 and he's your Empath who you were going to rely on to get more colonists... I think the problem with the disease mechanic is that it's overpowering on small colonies.

Limdood

i just don't understand this.

I've never had someone die of any disease except a wound infection.  Ever.  On any difficulty.

Seriously though...keep them in bed.  Change work priority, draft/undraft when joy gets low, let it get up to around middle, then SEND EM BACK TO BED.  A regular bed, herbal medicine, and not more than about 8 hours out of bed every couple days is plenty for overcoming flu, malaria, sleeping sickness (which SUCKS), and plague.

Are you treating 85 year old colonists or something?  or colonists with missing kidneys so their blood filtration is crap?  I simply can't understand how your colonists could be dying to flu.

Britnoth

With a decent doctor and only herbal medicine, you should not be losing anyone to diseases. Even infections should be fairly easily dealt with.

I can only think your patient is needing his every-24-hours treatment just as your doctor is going to sleep, meaning he is waiting untreated for 8 hours until he awakens.

Check on colonists and manually treat them as soon as the 24 hour period is up and they need treated again. With a good doc (15+) you can even overcome some infections without any meds at all. Even on extreme difficulty which gives a penalty to being ill.

Shurp

Well, I'm a newbie at this, so I had no idea where herbal medicine was coming from.  But the wiki has corrected that.  So now I know what Xerigium is for. 

But regardless, flu incapacitates your colonist for a ludicrous amount of time -- months.  And if you only have 5 colonists that's a problem, you've lost 20% of your workforce.  Treating without medicine doesn't accomplish much.  Now that I know where herbal medicine comes from I'll give that a try in my next game.  (Having a colonist consume 10-20 medkits lying ill is just not an option, way too expensive)

Limdood

months?  Flu lasts like 5 days.

Sleeping sickness is what lasts months.

Shurp

Try flu without any medicine.  Lasts a bit longer.

Britnoth

Quote from: Shurp on November 19, 2015, 05:30:06 PM
(Having a colonist consume 10-20 medkits lying ill is just not an option, way too expensive)
Try flu without any medicine.  Lasts a bit longer.

Contradicting yourself.

Consuming medkits to keep a colonist alive is what medkits are for. If you don't use them to keep your people alive, what are you using them for?
Also flu does not incapacitate your colonists. It is perfectly reasonable to have them work while ill, if you have meds. This is one part of the game that is balanced and doesn't need 'fixing'.  :(

Dodging Rain

I myself haven't gotten comfortable with having them work while sick yet.  My experience with the flu goes as far as having my colonist live but having them bed-ridden as far as only going out for some joy before going to bed and I just manage to immunize them when the flu has somewhat recently hit major.

Britnoth

If they reach 100% immunity and have only just went to major, then you have a huge margin to work with.

My rule of thumb for infections is: I can save them if they are around 80% when the infection turns from major to extreme, as long as I have a competent doc and at least herbal meds. With an excellent doc and good/glitterworld meds I'd hope to save them when they are 75% or lower. Even on extreme.

Having a good doc lets you work while ill; otherwise having one would be a lot less valuable. :)

Limdood

i also generally set my colonists to be treated with herbal meds exclusively EXCEPT in the case of some disease (or a crazy high damage single hits, like sniper rifle/hunting rifle/longsword hits that take a long time to heal...good medicine to avoid infection which would otherwise make them use MORE medicine)

I wish i could set one kind of medicine for damage and another kind for illness though...

Matt NA

Quote from: Stone_enderman on September 06, 2015, 07:59:41 PM
What I do, and this works about 99 percent of the time, is treat the ill colonist like a child. The child/colonist will start to get fidgety so I will let them get out of bed, have them do something quick, then tell them to go back to bed. I will have people feed my sick colonist and make sure that my doctors are there the second they need treatment to keep things from getting to back, and if all else fails, you can cut the limb off at last second

Yes lol this is exacltly what you should do. Idk why anyone is having troubles. Just make them rest until healed, at some point they will get upset sometimes and you just draft-undraft them to get them out of bed and reset their priorities, then they will go eat and hang out for a little bit. Once they are happy again just right click the bed and make them lay again. Havent lost a guy to infection or disease since like A9