Flu - Unbalanced?

Started by DustBust, August 28, 2015, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

Quote from: Britnoth on January 03, 2016, 07:37:25 PM
No, you uncheck the patient work tickbox once. I have no idea why you are doing that.

No. Like LittleGreenStone above me already said, not if you want to get your colonist treated every day. For sleeping sickness, that means you have to check and uncheck the work tab at least twice a day for months, like I already said.

And I see it the same as LittleGreenStone, at the moment the patients go berzerk way to much. Back in A11, the only thing you had to do was to have medicine. :/

TLHeart

Aww, so the game became just a little bit harder.  Want to make the sick colonist take care of themselves, it is VERY simple, set patient to a #2, and one work item to #1, they will get up do their job, eat, have joy, go lay down for treatment.

Sleeping sickness, same thing, but you must have a work restriction set to get them out of bed.

Make sure you have a medical bed for them to sleep in, as it improves the rate of recovery.. Medical monitors improve it even more.

All about learning how to use the mechanics you have, and NOT expect what worked in previous alpha's to work now.

RickyMartini

I mean it's not that I am annoyed because it works differently for A12, I took the update as it is and worked around it.
It's the fact that even ison confirmed that it was not their intention and it is getting reverted for A13, so I was just saying that I am fine with this reversion.

So no "Aww" here since nobody is complaining. At least not me or LittleGreenStone.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: TLHeart on January 04, 2016, 11:39:13 AM
Aww, so the game became just a little bit harder.  Want to make the sick colonist take care of themselves, it is VERY simple, set patient to a #2, and one work item to #1, they will get up do their job, eat, have joy, go lay down for treatment.

Sleeping sickness, same thing, but you must have a work restriction set to get them out of bed.

Make sure you have a medical bed for them to sleep in, as it improves the rate of recovery.. Medical monitors improve it even more.

All about learning how to use the mechanics you have, and NOT expect what worked in previous alpha's to work now.

Aww, it's not working out for me.
Custom priorities, patient having the lowest possible priority. Patients are still resting and only resting. Don't get up to eat, don't get up to work, don't get up to have fun. At least this time I have a pawn to feed them.

I'm not complaining about the game being hard, if that was the case, maybe I'd have lowered the difficulty from extreme.

But tell me, do you have to force your pawns to haul each and every item to the stockpiles?
To harvest each plant, or to cook a meal every single time?
You don't, and I'd wager anything that you'd flip your sh*t and stop playing with the game if you had to do everything manually.
Having to micro-manage my pawns to get treatment when they need it doesn't make the game a tiny bit harder you see, but it does make it a whole lot more tedious.

E.: Did some more testing, I withdraw my statement regarding colonists not working. It is because I changed the priority after they've started resting that they did not get out of bed on their own.

Drafted them, now they do in fact get out of bed, and start working!
And they won't even stop until they go to bed.
Their own.
When they are tired.
Without getting treated.
...Not sure what I expected, to be honest.
It is "working as intended", because hey, why would they prioritize getting treatments when they're told to prioritize harvesting potatoes? Makes sense, yes?

So is it a solution?

No, it certainly is not a solution.

But I've learned much about the mechanics, thank you,
and now can say it with confidence that the feature *IS* broken and does not work as intended.

Good thing it'll change, yes?

Tynan

Well, the good news is that a few things are changing that will alleviate a lot of concerns.

1. Patients can watch TV from bed now. This fulfills their joy need.

2. Colonists can visit bedridden colonists and chat with them to cheer them up. This lifts their mood and fulfills their social and joy needs.

3. Colonists can be two to a bed and do lovin' while there, so a colonist with a lover or spouse might get a conjugal visit to cheer them up.

So there should be less weird berserking.

Y'all should also keep in mind that diseases are meant to be deadly in this game. Disease is dangerous in a frontier environment; in some places (like a jungle) it can be the most serious threat to health. If someone you really like dies from the flu, and it's a catastrophe, that's the game working as intended.

It's not the kind of game where you just execute and optimal strategy, never lose anything you care about, and glide into a win. RW is a story/drama generator, and good stories have tragedies and reversals and they even kill characters you like. It's Game of Thrones, not Farmville. You're supposed to feel moments of disappointment, loss, betrayal and horror, not just an unbroken stream of triumph and satisfaction.

This is just something to keep in mind when you consider whether the game is working 'right' or not. The design intent of RW is quite different from the vast majority of games.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

skullywag

Quote from: Tynan on March 06, 2016, 02:24:11 PM

3. Colonists can be two to a bed and do lovin' while there, so a colonist with a lover or spouse might get a conjugal visit to cheer them up.

eww while they are ill, nasty! can you add mood debuff for "I have a headache" :D
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Kraehe

Quote from: skullywag on March 06, 2016, 03:53:54 PM

eww while they are ill, nasty! can you add mood debuff for "I have a headache" :D

Oh yes please xD

Bruxy

LittleGreenStone

Y'all should also keep in mind that diseases are meant to be deadly in this game. Disease is dangerous in a frontier environment; in some places (like a jungle) it can be the most serious threat to health.

And that's fine, if I can put up a fight yet the disease kills my colonist.

Not nice, but fine.

skullywag

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on March 06, 2016, 08:24:59 PM
Y'all should also keep in mind that diseases are meant to be deadly in this game. Disease is dangerous in a frontier environment; in some places (like a jungle) it can be the most serious threat to health.

And that's fine, if I can put up a fight yet the disease kills my colonist.

Not nice, but fine.

Tragic aint it?

Thats the point Tynan is making.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Shurp

Two thoughts:

(1) I'm surprised this discussion is still going.   After discovering Xerigium I've turned around 100% on this.  Infections are actually pretty easy to treat.  Tell your colonist to sit in bed.  When you get the poor colonist mood warning tell him to get up and get some beer.  Then after he's good and drunk send him back to bed.  Meanwhile have your doctors stuff him with xerigium and food.  90% of the time he'll survive.

(The only downside to this is that the colonist has to get his own beer.  Can we have doctors give patients beer?  Please?)

(2) Any colonist cuddling up with an infected colonist should definitely get infected too :-P
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

RickyMartini

I think the main problem, Shurp, was that the sick colonists don't seek out joy so if they are in bed for some days they wake up with -20 terrible joy and sometimes instantly go berzerk when standing up again. Not always does someone have beer at hand but it can help.