W[0.12.911] Bug with doctoring priority

Started by Bancheis, August 29, 2015, 01:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bancheis

I was requested by developer ison to post a new topic if I ran into this problem again in this post https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15329.0
Attempted to attach save file, but the file is too large even when compressed with 7zip. Can send it if needed.

1. What the circumstances were.

Multiple colonists with doctoring set to highest priority will remain in bed while sick.

2. What happened.

All 4 of my colonists with doctoring ability are sick (1 with sleeping sickness, 3 with malaria). All of them are bedridden, and will not get out of bed to treat the sick colonists or even to eat when starving. I used the draft action to get them out of bed. When released they went back to resting, even when they have already been treated but have not treated the others.

3. What you expected to happen.

I expect my doctors to follow the priority list, and doctor before they rest as a patient. Also, I don't expect someone with sleeping sickness that can last a long time to stay in bed after they have already been treated. I do expect them to run back to bed when they need treatment again.

4. How we can reproduce the bug. This part is important! We need a set of steps which we can follow to get the same results you're seeing. Ideally you'll test these steps to make sure they work from scratch.

Set doctoring and patient priority to 1 or any matching priority between the two that is before the other duties. Give all doctors some sort of illness, malaria for example. Attempt to have them automate as intended, draft them to cancel their other duties. They will immediately run back to bed, first to a medical bed if available or their normal assigned bed if not. They will not get out of bed to eat if starving, or perform their doctoring job.

Panzer

Yep can confirm, a wounded doctor will always prefer being patient over doctoring others, even when the timetable is set to work.

ison

Thank you for this detailed information.

The situation you described here is a consequence of this (from the previous thread):
When colonists are set to highest priority as patients they will stay in bed even after they are treated for diseases, like malaria or the plague, until it goes away.

I think they shouldn't stay in bed after they are treated. It will be probably changed for A13. Thanks.

If doctors are already in bed due to sickness, and then other colonist gets sick, then they won't get up only to treat them. But the main problem here is that currently going to bed is treated as if someone chose "Rest in bed until fully healed" as in previous Alphas, so colonists won't do any other work until they are fully healed. I'm not sure why it was changed, but I think it was a bug and colonists shouldn't stay in bed forever if they are sick, and should get up as soon as they receive treatment (Tynan will have to confirm this). This was changed for A13 (not sure if there will be any next A12 hotfix): colonists will get out of bed as soon as they receive treatment.

When a colonist is sleeping work types priorities don't matter. "Patient" work type is only used to decide when a colonist should go to the bed to receive treatment, but does not affect when it's the right time to get up. It is however an interesting idea to let "Patient" work type priority affect when a colonist should get out of bed and do something else. I will look into this. Thanks.

TLHeart

Colonist were getting out of bed, doing one task, then going to back bed, while sick or healing, is why the change was made.

Songleaves

While we're discussing it, there's the similar problem with doctor/researchers not getting up from their research when there's doctoring to be done. Currently the best way to overcome this is to select your doctor when they are researching, and draft and then undraft them, and they will then take care of any doctoring that needs to be done. But this is inconvenient when you have multiple people with diseases/infections and you want your doctor to get up and treat them every time they get the "untreated" infection status.

ison