Would you fund another round of RimWorld development?

Started by akiceabear, August 29, 2015, 01:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much would you contribute for 1 more year of full time development after RimWorld 1.0?

$0
18 (7.8%)
$1-10
43 (18.6%)
$11-20
57 (24.7%)
$21-30
56 (24.2%)
$31-50
28 (12.1%)
$50+
29 (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Thorin

Wouldn't mind spending some more euro's on this.
My holy deity knows that I spend more monies on less fun stuff :D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Rahjital

Quote from: Murdo on September 02, 2015, 04:29:21 PM
What we're really talking about here is a sequel.

I would gladly pay for an expansion pack, but I would not fund a sequel. Not without a demo at least.

Why? Because Rimworld is already a game I love and an expansion pack would build on that base, bringing some large new features (like travelling on the world map and so on), whereas a whole new game would be rebuilt from the ground up. There's probably things Tynan would do differently now that he sees how the game works, and if those things happened to ruin my enjoyment of the game, I would be throwing money away on a game I wouldn't play. I don't want another Gratuitous Space Battles 2.

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

I'd be really curious how many copies of Rimworld have sold to date, and how much profit Ludeon has made from it :) I'm really not sure how many other players there are! The forums have 34,200 members and so I have to assume each one of those have likely bought the game, with probably a decent amount more who have just never bothered to register here. I can only imagine how much that would go up with a foray onto Steam, I bet that could easily double or triple, or more. Among my friends, Rimworld has achieved a very high place on a pedestal, and is considered a really, really cool game. Much like how FTL has achieved placement in the hall of nerd awesomeness.
The reason I say all this is that, with all the revenue that is surely going to pour in in the future, it might stand to reason that we could end up with a few additional content patches in the future, free of charge. I don't know how many people here play Terraria, but they have been rolling out free, huge refinement and content patches for a few years now, periodically, even though it's not making them any more money. But one thing it has done, is create enormous loyalty for the company. I genuinely love those guys, and I would eagerly support them with anything they choose to do in the future, and trust it to be a masterpiece. They love the fans, and it really shows!
That being said, I love Rimworld so much, I would certainly be up for splashing out $10 more for a decent content update, maybe one that contains something new and exciting, like procedural-generation for weapons and critters and other things.

On a slightly different note, one thing I would love, love to see, is Tynan's take on Spacebase DF-9, in a similar style to Rimworld, or maybe as some kind of extension. DF-9 would have been excellent with the right direction, it's very sad that it failed, as I love the concept.

akiceabear

QuoteI'd be really curious how many copies of Rimworld have sold to date
There used to be a counter for this on the webpage, last I saw it was around 90k, although now its been taken down. You can take a guess at the costs of a fairly lean dev team versus that revenue...

thestalkinghead

i would imagine steam would give the game a second wind, so further funding from us wouldn't be needed.

but saying that, i did up my contribution to name in game because i thought the game was good enough for the extra money, plus my name in a game is a cool thing to have :)

FMJ Penguin

Quote from: akiceabear on September 04, 2015, 09:09:05 AM
QuoteI'd be really curious how many copies of Rimworld have sold to date
There used to be a counter for this on the webpage, last I saw it was around 90k, although now its been taken down. You can take a guess at the costs of a fairly lean dev team versus that revenue...

Yeah, I heard he lives in a rusty old hippy van that smells like weed, week old pizza, and freshly squeezed strippers for like 6 blocks when he opens the doors in the morning. Wait maybe it was the dumb and dumber dog mobile that he spent it all on...... hell I can't remember now. Ither way nobody said gamers where smart about what they spent their money on  ;D
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

chaotix14

Seeing what Tynan can do, I'd be very likely to chip in a couple more euro's. If the modding scene is still as alive and well as it currently is when the time comes around(since I usually mod the hell out of Rimworld) I'll be very likely to support Tynan with another 30 euro(or perhaps more) for another year, and probably would do so again if after that year a similar situation comes into existence. Like the guys from Terraria proved, there's always room for expansion.

Like the OP though if multiplayer is one of the main additions to the game, I'd find it a lot harder to convince myself to fund further development.

MajorFordson

I've just tried getting back into Dwarf Fortress, and whilst it is indeed so much more detailed on many levels, it's also very very primitive in many ways. Big loopholes like animals not needing food, indoor areas not needing lighting, very basic dwarf needs... they all make me appreciate how much more intuitive and "together" Rimworld is. So with greater usability, visuals and much more satisfying and "sensible" gameplay, I'd much rather come and play Rimworld, even if there is much less Fun and much fewer crazy antics like you'll find in DF.

So yes, I'd pay more money for furthering Rimworld. Who knows, maybe it might evolve to the point where it becomes more than a simple "small survivor settlement" game!

Solanus

My general rule of thumb when it comes to gaming is $1 for every hour of gameplay; really good/sharp/innovative games are worth more. I've played Rimworld for hundreds of hours, possibly more than a thousand, so I've easily gotten my money's worth. I would easily pay for the cost of another game to further significant development on this one.
That said, I am much more interested in seeing what Tynan will do next. I have been impressed with his creative vision, his dedication, his willingness to implement ideas from the fanbase, etc. I would rather put my $30, $50, whatever, towards something new from Tynan than keeping him locked into making incremental improvements (especially if he seems unwilling to hand over the keys to his "baby").
We have a creative mod community that can expand this game in so many amazing ways. Let Tynan go so he can create another world just as cool as this. I'm looking forward to it.

Too-DAMN-Much

more i think about it, tynan's done so much to prove that he cares about the games he makes and he's also shown the quality of his work in sandbox style building games, i have to say, if he were to proclaim interest in something even just in the same sandbox/management genre would be enough to make me want to jump on board.

don't think it's realistic for a second, but dare to dream, what if tynan's passion project was transport tycoon or theme park, so much gusta, all over the place.

:)

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed on September 04, 2015, 07:14:36 AM
I'd be really curious how many copies of Rimworld have sold to date, and how much profit Ludeon has made from it :) I'm really not sure how many other players there are! The forums have 34,200 members and so I have to assume each one of those have likely bought the game, with probably a decent amount more who have just never bothered to register here...

Many on the forums have exposed themselves as pirates - either outright or accidentally. It's also, technically, considered piracy if your friend allowed you to use one of their downloads.

Adding that, I'd imagine the count to be a little lower.

Anyway, yeah - Steam will skyrocket the sales (and, thankfully, allow for updates without having to re-download every. single. time.), but Tynan decided to hold off until he comes back from his time off. Makes sense, honestly - it'd be taken poorly if he released it on Steam then proceeded to not support it for several months.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

akiceabear

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on September 12, 2015, 08:09:43 PM
Many on the forums have exposed themselves as pirates - either outright or accidentally. It's also, technically, considered piracy if your friend allowed you to use one of their downloads.

Tynan used to advertise total sales on the game website - it definitely exceeded 75,000 and may even have been 90,000 before he took the counter down.

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

Quote from: akiceabear on September 12, 2015, 10:18:13 PM
Quote from: TheSilencedScream on September 12, 2015, 08:09:43 PM

Tynan used to advertise total sales on the game website - it definitely exceeded 75,000 and may even have been 90,000 before he took the counter down.

Wow, now that's some spreading-around money :)

JimmyAgnt007

Fund another round of development: Ive gotten more fun from Rimworld than most other games so id contribute $50+
Must have feature to fund: aside from a lot of little things id like, id have to say...  More story generation features like politics, relationships, and some form of reproduction. 
Feature I wouldn't fund: multiplayer (the game doesnt need it.)

johiah

Why Not multiplayer, and no, I don't mean multiple people playing on the same map. I mean multiple people playing in the same world, with a trading and alliance system between people, the ability to eventually get strong enough to ally with friends and attack other people/ai factions, maybe use the mining system for mechanical defense, so that you dont run out of materials, but maybe limit its speed more, or limit how many you can have, and i think this owuld make rimworld amazing.
"My best warden has no jaw"