Animal tab UI suggestions

Started by Panzer, August 29, 2015, 06:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

Hey there,

I already posted an idea in this thread, but since it was quite a mix of different suggestions I thought I should extract it because I wanted that specific topic to get more attention.

I already have a fleshed out idea of what a proper UI for the animals tab could look like, I want you to post different ideas or try to improve mine, or just comment on it ;)
I may even start modding because of it, but its been some time since I did UI related programming and I only got the basics of c++ down, so it might take me some months to get comfortable with c# and modding in general.

QuoteFirst of all, species groups which are collapseable and a button to set a general master and area. After that I thought a table with 3 columns would be nice, for babies, juvenile and adult. That way you can keep track of population, keep the young ones inside during attack, etc...

Also, something to see gender (gender symbols? pink/ light blue names?) would be nice, incase we dont want the critters to breed anymore.

Someone mentioned that it might be a good idea to display age, not a fan of it since too much information just makes it feel overloaded, still feel like my current idea is overloaded as well, but cant think of anything better at this point.

[attachment deleted due to age]

LouisTBR

This just seems messy. There isn't much need for an upgraded animal UI, as the current one suffices for zoning them and finding them just fine.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Panzer

I see you havent played a lot of rimworld lately, at least not with a lot of breeding involved.

The point is to pack everything in groups for better management, saving clicks and time. Do you know how tedious it gets if you try to find a certain critter from a list with 40+ animals?
And yeah it is "messy", granted that it is just a rough sketch. And just calling it messy is not really useful feedback, im afraid.
What exactly is messy about this layout?

LouisTBR

Actually, I have been playing Rimworld recently. I don't want an argument, I am simply voicing my opinion on the forums. This is the purpose of the forums, for Rimworld players all over the place to connect with each other and suggest ideas. That is my opinion, so sorry if you don't agree. The reason it is messy, granted it is a rough sketch, is that, even though it is better organised than the current UI, it will take up lots of space that the current one doesn't. Thank you.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Toggle

The layout you probably did in ms paint is very messy, if applied to in-game professionally it might work. I think it would be useful actually if you had it for animals, drop down ja, but separated males/females into the two tabs. Due to breeding and problems of say thousands of chickens flooding a map, it would be useful to be able to clearly designate male/female of a species into different allowed zones. Although, Tynan apparently is adding something for large populations of animals, like diseases for large groups, something like that.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Panzer

Yeah it might be good to know what Tynan considers as animal pop cap before I get into this.

Louis, forgive me if my answer was a little bit edgy, but describing my suggestion with one word meaning the very opposite of what I am trying to do and then saying theres no need to get into this just rustled my jimmies a liiittle bit.

Panzer

Ok, so you think dropdown with 2 columns male/female should be fine. I think that could work, but in my opinion you would need something to highlight newborn animals unless you want to use the eagleeye method we now have to use.

Maybe again 3 columns, babies+juvenile and then male/female since gender only matters when the critters reach adulthood. Maybe color-code males/females or use that pulsing yellow flash like in the adaptive tutor to highlight newborns until you selected them once. Or maybe just til you closed the tab again, no sense in selecting hatched chicks since you cant train them.

NWCtim

Yeah, all the animal UI really needs is gender, age, and training status columns.