Plant Infestation.

Started by Untrustedlife, January 06, 2014, 12:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Untrustedlife

(a plant has started growing out of control..stop it before it overuns your base)
There should be a random even that causes a strange vine-type plant to start growing out of control outside or inside your base, you have to contain it in any way possible. So you have to either shoot at it a ton (the vines , to break them) blow it up (the plant) or burn them all or cut them up before it overruns your base. Or contain it.
Any unfortunate colonists who get overtaken by the plant are slowly strangled to death.)

what do you guys think?

This could be extended for a sort of kudzoo infestation that happens during research rarely.
You would have to contain that as-well.

It would be a great test of the players ability to figure out how to react to it.

And would add a new non-raider threat that you may have to deal with.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

windruf

for example:
it starts with a tile (like a seed got here from outside or something happened on hydroponic table) and starts to build other tiles next to it.

one tile on soil produces 100 soil points/hour(sand gives 50, stone 20...) and one tile brightly lit  produces 100 sun points/hour (0 in darkness based on how well lit). one soil point and one sun point -> one build point. all build points are divided between growing and hurt tiles (1 build point= 1 hp maximal 100 hp).

everything under those tiles is damaged for 1 points per second and if there are walls, next to grown tiles, they will be damaged too.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: windruf on January 06, 2014, 12:02:49 PM
for example:
it starts with a tile (like a seed got here from outside or something happened on hydroponic table) and starts to build other tiles next to it.

one tile on soil produces 100 soil points/hour(sand gives 50, stone 20...) and one tile brightly lit  produces 100 sun points/hour (0 in darkness based on how well lit). one soil point and one sun point -> one build point. all build points are divided between growing and hurt tiles (1 build point= 1 hp maximal 100 hp).

everything under those tiles is damaged for 1 points per second and if there are walls, next to grown tiles, they will be damaged too.
Awesome that you are taking interest in the idea..
Thanks for the feedback :)

Interesting take on it, this way the player could say, turn off the lights in the room that the plant is growing in in order to give them more time to prepare.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

palandus

This idea reminds me of that Vault in Fallout New Vegas. You know the one with the AER19 Prototype in it.

AmalgamSnow

I think this idea is brilliant and will make an excellent new level to our curretly rather dull flora, but i think it would need alot more than just one type of vine/plant, i say this because at early game levels you dont really want to get overrun by plants solely sekk to destroy your quaint, idyllic base; hence i have deduced a variety of flora that may be of interest (note names are just there to differentiate xD, they arent "you must call them these!" names):

1) The Overgrowth - does exactly whjat you say initially and just keeps on growing; more annoying that troublesome.

2) Nature's Wrath - This one does exactly what your post says; keeps growing, but f**ks s**t up along the way, perhaps if areas are left unattented interesting events could occur; such as if a whole room of your base is covered in vines you essentially get an explosion effect from growth, where the plant is like "I NEED SPACE TO GROW MOFO!"

3) Contagion - Grows at a relatively slow rate, but releases poisons into the air (for the current state of the game, it would just damage people in the area of toxins, but later may actually poison?); poison release is cumulative, so the more that grows, the more the poison is dispersed (perhaps in both quantity and potency? or just one)

4) Constrictor - Yup, have a guess at what this one does, althought a lot more subtle. Ive planned this one to be a highly end game infestation, where is slyly grows out from your harvesting regions, making one tendril slowly advance to someone's sleeping area (as im typing this im thinking it's sounding a bit japanese...) and when they least expect it: boom! Constrictor starts to strangle your colonist (of course, they can be saved!)

Not only have i thought of these four vine types (of which im sure you guys can think of more), it is also possible to have subsets of these (which may or may not be cumulative) such as fire-immunity, fire-resistance, fire-susceptibilty, fire-only-kills-me - as you can see, im very fond of burning things - and other such traits (not just fire ones, but i like fire...).

Edit Edition:
Fifth Vine: Necrotic.

Does exactly what it sounds like, makes things die. From normal surrounding plantlife, to your local muffalo ranch, even your own base! (Necrotic vines must be black ofc, and the surrounding tiles also look slightly 'dead' - whether this means they're a bit black or not, i havet concluded)

Untrustedlife

Quote from: AmalgamSnow on January 07, 2014, 05:10:15 AM
I think this idea is brilliant and will make an excellent new level to our curretly rather dull flora, but i think it would need alot more than just one type of vine/plant, i say this because at early game levels you dont really want to get overrun by plants solely sekk to destroy your quaint, idyllic base; hence i have deduced a variety of flora that may be of interest (note names are just there to differentiate xD, they arent "you must call them these!" names):

1) The Overgrowth - does exactly whjat you say initially and just keeps on growing; more annoying that troublesome.

2) Nature's Wrath - This one does exactly what your post says; keeps growing, but f**ks s**t up along the way, perhaps if areas are left unattented interesting events could occur; such as if a whole room of your base is covered in vines you essentially get an explosion effect from growth, where the plant is like "I NEED SPACE TO GROW MOFO!"

3) Contagion - Grows at a relatively slow rate, but releases poisons into the air (for the current state of the game, it would just damage people in the area of toxins, but later may actually poison?); poison release is cumulative, so the more that grows, the more the poison is dispersed (perhaps in both quantity and potency? or just one)

4) Constrictor - Yup, have a guess at what this one does, althought a lot more subtle. Ive planned this one to be a highly end game infestation, where is slyly grows out from your harvesting regions, making one tendril slowly advance to someone's sleeping area (as im typing this im thinking it's sounding a bit japanese...) and when they least expect it: boom! Constrictor starts to strangle your colonist (of course, they can be saved!)

Not only have i thought of these four vine types (of which im sure you guys can think of more), it is also possible to have subsets of these (which may or may not be cumulative) such as fire-immunity, fire-resistance, fire-susceptibilty, fire-only-kills-me - as you can see, im very fond of burning things - and other such traits (not just fire ones, but i like fire...).

Edit Edition:
Fifth Vine: Necrotic.

Does exactly what it sounds like, makes things die. From normal surrounding plantlife, to your local muffalo ranch, even your own base! (Necrotic vines must be black ofc, and the surrounding tiles also look slightly 'dead' - whether this means they're a bit black or not, i havet concluded)

Those are great additions to this idea. Thanks :)
Especially the "Natures Wrath" one.
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

LINK