Easter Eggs in the game

Started by falcongrey, August 29, 2015, 07:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falcongrey

I know this is more of a polish idea/suggestion but throwing in a few 'Easter Eggs' for people to find would be cool. Some suggestions for this could be, but not limited to:

• Names in Create World's "Seed" area such as "Dune" or "Endor" would 'recreate' those worlds. Dune = Entire Desert Planet, Endor = Entire Forest Planet. (Would REALLY love this one!)
  • Occasional ruins that would resemble places like 'Stonehenge'.
  • Items, ruins, NPCs that reflect other games/movies/people.
  • Really rare events that reflect something in social fads, like a 'Neon  Kitty' running across the landscape with a rainbow trail a few squares behind.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Torkkar

ok with the ruins how are you going to translate 3D Stonehenge into a 2D world? you'd also be 8 formations shy cause Stonehenge has 12 main formations.

as for the seed easter eggs just pick your stating area properly and you will get your movie area.

Songleaves

I really like the Stonehenge suggestion. Tynan has actually wanted people to make mods for things like ancient temples and stuff, and I think a Stonehenge ruin on the map surface would be cool. As far as representing 3D objects into 2D worlds, that's been done for ages in videogaming: there are many established art techniques to do something like add Stonehenge to the game.

Torkkar

yes but within the context of this games building system Stonehenge is literally impossible because it has angles that exist out side the four directions we can build in Stonehenge would require the addition of diagonal placement of a 45 and 30 degree angles which is not represented in the games code even a Modder would have to rewrite the core files to make this type of structure.

falcongrey

Quote from: Torkkar on August 29, 2015, 07:40:59 PM
ok with the ruins how are you going to translate 3D Stonehenge into a 2D world? you'd also be 8 formations shy cause Stonehenge has 12 main formations.

as for the seed easter eggs just pick your stating area properly and you will get your movie area.

Just as Songleaves points out, this has been done for many years from the time shortly after 'Pong' came about with the 3D into 2D.  Here is a 'fast' example and I know it can be done a lot better to more detail also...
Stonehenge by FalconGrey, on Flickr

As for 'picking' the landing location, you lost the meaning of an 'Easter Egg' man and the whole effect... It has nothing to do with 'picking and area like' but seeing something from stories or movies or what not come to life in some way in the game.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.