New Guns

Started by Askmyboar, August 29, 2015, 12:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Askmyboar

Instead of just "sniper" and "pistol" I think it'd be pretty cool if guns were specific. Like pistols would be M1911s, USPs, etc.. just specific names. Some snipers might be the Barret .50 caliber. That weapon could be a very expensive weapon to purchase on the market but is basically a one-hit kill to any enemies and has a very long range. Some shotguns could be the Sawed Off shotguns, basically a one hit down/kill close range, with its huge spread. An auto-shotgun might be very expensive due to its rate of fire and damage output. New rifles could be the M16, Ak47, and the M14. Different merchants might sell different weapons. The pirate bands might sell many AK47s due to the amount of them and the reliability they have. AK47s and M16s would have different stats, one might be more accurate while the other one gives more damage.

Bullet types are also a suggestion, .22 bullets might be cheap and easy to come by, while .50 bullets are very expensive and an emergency-only ammunition in your colony.

Tagasaki

project armoury and rimfire in the mods section has all this and more.

Askmyboar

Oh wow thanks for letting me know I'll have to check that out

LouisTBR

I don't know about that, it seems too complicated. I personally would prefer just to have collective names, as these specific ones would be too confusing when seen in the colonist tab. Equipped - M1911 (superior 87%) is just confusing.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

GamerGuy

When you see pistol, sniper you straight away know what it is but If someone puts in a M191... its difficult to know on the spot what it is, thats why I stay away from project armoury and rimfire.

Latta

We can have multiple random graphics for gun, with generic names. Same themed graphics of course, similar enough that you can recognize what it is.

LouisTBR

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

b0rsuk

By the way not everyone is a gun enthusiast. Many people may have a general idea what's a SMG, pistol or assault rifle. But when you put in names like 'M4', only gun enthusiasts will get it.

Besides, in year 5500 they might be using updated versions.

Mihsan

Quote from: Askmyboar on August 29, 2015, 12:35:10 PMInstead of just "sniper" and "pistol" I think it'd be pretty cool if guns were specific.

Yeah, right, it was year 5500 and there still was names like Kalashnikov, Lee Enfield, Browning and others.

I am much more like current generic approach. Having 10 weapons with +/- few percents in stats will change nothing in gameplay (especially if items can have different quality) and will just complicate list of your stuff, so why even bother?

On the other hand all basic weapons could just have some graphic variations. For example "assault rifle" could look like M16, AK, FAMAS, G36... And no changes in stats pls.

And I am also not against some really new types of weapons like antimaterial sniper rifle, LAW, heavy MG and so on.

No comments on that ammo idea.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

whoishigh

The vanilla firearms used to have their real-world names, AFAIK it's only very recently that they were given the generic names they have now. Not sure they'll be changed back any time soon, but my feeling is that the guns/weapons in the game are little more than proof-of-concept placeholders anyway, and it seems unlikely they'll remain in the game. At least I hope so, I hate seeing my colonists run around with 3500+ year old firearm designs!

Toggle

I think it's fine using generic names, but if you say put the name M16 or M4... you don't need to be a gun enthusiast, you basically have to play any FPS.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Torkkar

of all the stupid crap I've read to day UGH! your like a guy I used to know & play Shadow Run table top with dude had a black VW bus with all the modern guns you could think of but when it came down to the good stuff I needed he drew a blank. Same thing here just a guy throwin a fit about the lack of realistic guns in the Year 5500 wtf?

Don't insult other users. This is a warning!

Toggle

Ouch, don't need to be harsh on anyone Torkkar.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

whoishigh

Quote from: Torkkar on August 29, 2015, 07:46:13 PM
of all the stupid crap I've read to day UGH! your like a guy I used to know & play Shadow Run table top with dude had a black VW bus with all the modern guns you could think of but when it came down to the good stuff I needed he drew a blank. Same thing here just a guy throwin a fit about the lack of realistic guns in the Year 5500 wtf?

And you said -I- threw a fit  ::)