Nerf Mechanoid brains

Started by NWCtim, August 29, 2015, 10:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWCtim

Computers are delicate, fickle machines where one hardware error can bring down the whole thing.  A mechanoid that takes any damage to the brain should be disabled instantly.

MultiDavid

Mechanoids are advanced robots, with SUUUUPER tiny brains, you need a perfect shot to take one down instantly, not to mention they are made of metal, and we don't exactly have the most advanced weapons.

And you need a bloody railgun to 1 shot a... those creepy, giant worm ugly robot things whose name i forgot.

Songleaves

I tend to agree with OP about making them more delicate. When I'm fighting mechanoids, and I pause and look at their health, and I see damage to their brains I kind of feel like they should be more malfunctioning since even with decreased sight/etc they are still dangerous due to their weapons/range/tankiness. Bonus points to if they could be sent into a "malfunctioning" state like a berserker rage or dazed thoughts. It would also be cool if instead of just turning them off, if you had a colonist with a high enough construction level you could reprogram them to self destruct and explode like a massive boomalope.

MultiDavid

Hell, then the easiest fix is to add some sort of tesla weapon, or some sort of electric defense, thats a good idea vs mechanoids, since it directly affects them, it would be a really good weapon.

Tagasaki

even with brain destroyed, they still have that life support on going and well, robots being what they are, they could have multiple backups system even after brain is down.

MultiDavid

EMP doesn't destroy them, stuns them, so they do have backups, however, if you basically overload one, or shoot it in a key joint, it will break down or be unable to move.

Mihsan

Quote from: NWCtim on August 29, 2015, 10:30:32 PM
Computers are delicate, fickle machines where one hardware error can bring down the whole thing.  A mechanoid that takes any damage to the brain should be disabled instantly.

I do not agree. We are talking here about advanced artifitial semi-biological machines made for killing. They have brains, man, not just some CPU, that could be broken just by chipping off a small piece.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.