Toilets?

Started by LouisTBR, August 30, 2015, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see toilets in the game?

Yes
No

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Maybe instead of toilets (plumbing would be a huge pain to program, I would at least think, and annoying to set up) either outhouses or portapottyies
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

TMAN80SS

I feel stupid for voting no because now i actually want to have toilets and all it entails.

Like others i like the idea that; It should just be implemented into the Fun category, they would happen to use just a tree or a bush and suffer a minor mood debuf (or not).

I would love to see plumbing and irrigation in addition to having water.
- Pipes for water transfer, plumbing and irrigation.
- Water tanks for storage
- Outhouses (for early game), toilets and showers added for just a bit more creativity.
- Farming irrigation so that plants get a bonus or simply don't die if not in hydroponics and aren't watered

Tynan also has mentioned that he himself has noticed that there are discrepancies with the time and how long pawns take to do stuff compared to other things in game. I wouldn't mind just seeing much longer days accompanied with much faster fast forwarding

SaintD

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 02, 2015, 01:32:51 PM
SaintD, joy, as you said, highlights colonists existence as people. So, we constantly go on walks and play pool and horseshoes, but we never use the toilet? You have basically just contradicted yourself by saying that joy is only in the game to make the colonists more relatable to real life. This is exactly what toilets will do.

I didn't contradict myself, because you're trying to pick out a single strawman and beat it to death. You are STILL not providing any compelling reason whatsoever that toilets need to be a relevant part of the game that requires such specific attention.

What I actually said was that the joy system already abstracts the general need for pawns not to work all day, and actually makes the addition of toilets as a functional need even more irrelevant. Your basic argument is one of weighing down the game with little details when it quite clearly isn't that game. Every argument FOR toilets as a serviced need ends up having to quite pathetically change the concept of time itself in the game in order to accommodate it. That's stupid, and bad design. Plumbing and irrigation, WATER as a need, not toilets....fantastic. Toilets in themselves....stupid.

As I already pointed out, to pound the point into your head again since you're likely just gonna stick beat a strawman again, toilets don't create any gameplay that's worth having. On their own they're an almost immediately forgotten little detail you plonk down and forget about forever. they're an irritating distraction every time you start up a new colony. With an operational water system in play....they're still an almost forgotten little detail you plonk down as an afterthought and forget about forever, because you're building a plumbing system to fulfill the far more interesting and gameplay relevant need to secure and manage your water supply for food and drink.

Everyone who thinks toilets is a good idea seems to end up talking about and getting excited about the water system aspect of it, and with good reason, because a water system would be great. But as I ALSO said earlier, this isn't about a water system, it's about toilets and dumping, which in and of themselves are a detail that simply doesn't need to be taken out of the abstract of a colonist's day.

Toilets utterly fail the "What does this add to the gameplay?" question, and now they're trying to pork barrel their way in as a rider on the water system bill. I utterly reject that. A water system in no way requires toilets as a part of it, and you're still not giving any sort of decent gameplay reason why it should be relevant.

astrosoup

It would be fun for toilets as furniture to be added in for flavor, but they should not be mandatory, and a Sims-style bladder bar is certainly not what's in order. Colonists could just visit them once in a while when they have nothing else to do, or as part of the joy mechanic.

MajorFordson

It's sci-fi, why not simply add in a "workbench" which is a self contained all-in-one ablutions chamber, the equivalent of shower and toilet. Much neater, and less childish for those inclined, than having dedicated seperate bathroom facilities.