Toilets?

Started by LouisTBR, August 30, 2015, 08:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like to see toilets in the game?

Yes
No

LouisTBR

So, colonists need joy, but never get the urge to take a pee? Shouldn't there be a 'Bowels' happiness in their needs, just for realism! LOL
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Toggle

No. I get realism, but it's a stupid idea. Having your colonists leave work for something that would probably take 5 ticks, aka it would take longer for them to walk back to it each time then do the work. And if you added this hygiene, showers and such would be higher priority then literal crap.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

twoski

In my opinion this is getting too micromanage-y. Colonists are already needy enough i think.

falcongrey

Quote from: twoski on August 30, 2015, 02:46:59 PM
In my opinion this is getting too micromanage-y. Colonists are already needy enough i think.

As much as I tend to feel there SHOULD be toilets and such (at least for aesthetics as clutter) yes, this would cause WAY more problems than it would give. :P
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

cultist

All colonist bowels are emptied by the colon fairy while they sleep.

keylocke

solution would be to rebalance the activity ticks.

walking, eating, sleeping, etc.. some activities are taking too long. if that's the only reason not to add activities like pooping/peeing, and drinking. then it would be better to rebalance the activity ticks so colonists get to do more activities per day.

right now, even though their entire day is just a few minutes in real time. eating, sleeping, etc.. compared to other activities seems to be taking too darn long in proportion to other activities.

Mihsan

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on August 30, 2015, 08:42:34 AM
So, colonists need joy, but never get the urge to take a pee? Shouldn't there be a 'Bowels' happiness in their needs, just for realism! LOL

I am supporting this. Just because it will make RimWorld more Fallout'ey (I mean the old ones) and it would be good for it. Those toilets and shit all over the place could give much for space colony's atmosphere. Just imagine those sieging raider's camps!

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 30, 2015, 02:41:36 PM
No. I get realism, but it's a stupid idea. Having your colonists leave work for something that would probably take 5 ticks, aka it would take longer for them to walk back to it each time then do the work. And if you added this hygiene, showers and such would be higher priority then literal crap.

This just means, that you should build smarter infrastructure for your colony, so your colonists would not travel all day to pee in a toilet.

Also should be able to "fulfill the needs" just anywhere if the toilet is too far.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

LouisTBR

This is what I was thinking...
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

The13thRonin

Sounds like a good idea to me.

LouisTBR

JesterHell

I support this +1

Just keep in mind that I'm a Simulationist at heart and almost anything that increases the simulation is good in my book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNS_Theory

LouisTBR

Me too, Jester! Thanks for the support. Inevitably, realism tends to be unpopular when creating these sorts of games, which is why I'm so stoked that there has even been support!

Spectre

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on August 31, 2015, 11:51:17 AM
Me too, Jester! Thanks for the support. Inevitably, realism tends to be unpopular when creating these sorts of games, which is why I'm so stoked that there has even been support!

I wouldn't say that realism is 'unpopular' but how far do you go? So you have toilets, then you need a hygiene system. With a hygiene system you need water, which will inevitably will make people want it as a resource. Not all water is safe to drink and then we have a contamination system the devs need to implement. Then the entire 'cleaning' system needs to be overhauled because dirt makes edibles contaminated and may make pawns sick. Wounds and sickness shouldn't heal in a few hours it should takes a few weeks, if we want to be realistic.

To make these systems work you're going to need more time in a single day of Rimworld, so say they triple the time of a single day so that pawns can do their jobs, eat (three times a day), use the toilet (several times), wash, have 'fun', fight. Sickness and wounds should take weeks to heal at least with medical treatment...

Raids are often by the same few factions, so to be realistic they should have several months between raids so that they can afford to send the men and resources against our colony, eventually they wouldn't attack at all because realistically they know they couldn't win.

Eventually, to be as realistic as possible, we're staring at a screen for a few hours where absolutely nothing happens for months of in game time.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

Toggle

Adding just toilets is like just adding a bicycle. A single bicycle would require an entire mount system that would make access to tons of different types of transportation. Just toilets would require a hygiene and water system that would give access to tons of other stuff too.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

JesterHell

Quote from: Spectre on August 31, 2015, 09:04:21 PM
Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on August 31, 2015, 11:51:17 AM

I wouldn't say that realism is 'unpopular' but how far do you go? So you have toilets, then you need a hygiene system. With a hygiene system you need water, which will inevitably will make people want it as a resource. Not all water is safe to drink and then we have a contamination system the devs need to implement. Then the entire 'cleaning' system needs to be overhauled because dirt makes edibles contaminated and may make pawns sick. Wounds and sickness shouldn't heal in a few hours it should takes a few weeks, if we want to be realistic.

To make these systems work you're going to need more time in a single day of Rimworld, so say they triple the time of a single day so that pawns can do their jobs, eat (three times a day), use the toilet (several times), wash, have 'fun', fight. Sickness and wounds should take weeks to heal at least with medical treatment...

Raids are often by the same few factions, so to be realistic they should have several months between raids so that they can afford to send the men and resources against our colony, eventually they wouldn't attack at all because realistically they know they couldn't win.

Eventually, to be as realistic as possible, we're staring at a screen for a few hours where absolutely nothing happens for months of in game time.

I think all of what you said here is an awesome Idea, I already want increased day length because the current one is too short for my taste.

Having medical treatment take a few month without "Glitter World" nano bot medicine seems like it could change how you handle combat completely and that goes double if you combine it with toned down/more realistic raids and combat.

I mean the current system is kind of ridiculous as they will attack with 100 guys be defeated and then attack again with more using the same strategy? and yes you should be able to foster a impenetrable fortress reputation where no one attack because they know they won't win.

As an example many DF players have complained about the world simulations effect on goblins, before the update the game just generated goblin sieges of increasing numbers as long as you where on the same land mass but the world simulation update meant that you only get goblin sieges if your fort is with in a certain distance of the goblins civ and that the size of the siege is dependent on the goblins civ population.

While I miss the massive 200 strong sieges, I like the fact that its all run off a simulation more and have adjusted my play style to get the most out of the new system.

I've long since accepted that most people don't like that level of realism and so I generally have to do without but I will support ideas that increase the simulation because I find that to be enjoyable.