Room sizes

Started by twoski, August 30, 2015, 02:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

Why are 8x8 bedrooms considered "neutral" in terms of size? Honestly, 8x8 is pretty massive for a bedroom. I live in an apartment in real life with a bedroom that is probably 1/3 of that size and it's extremely spacious.

The room size calculations need to be reworked. A 6x6 bedroom should be more than enough space for a person. It's not like they are in these rooms 24/7.

b0rsuk

It depends on furniture. Royal bed eats up space. For some reason room facilities like multi-analyzer, tool cabinet and life monitor are deducted from room size. Despite the fact you can uninstal them, squares they're on don't count as belonging to the room.

Alistaire

It's possible to remove those factors from the C# room stat worker classes.

falcongrey

Quote from: twoski on August 30, 2015, 02:52:17 PM
Why are 8x8 bedrooms considered "neutral" in terms of size? Honestly, 8x8 is pretty massive for a bedroom. I live in an apartment in real life with a bedroom that is probably 1/3 of that size and it's extremely spacious.

The room size calculations need to be reworked. A 6x6 bedroom should be more than enough space for a person. It's not like they are in these rooms 24/7.

I really have to agree with you on this, 8x8 is MASSIVE for a bedroom. A 6x6 or even a 5x6 (30 squares here...) is still fairly large room even with a double bed and other odds and ends. If I were to put my master bedroom in my home into size it would closely fall into 4x5 and it feel comfortable and I think should be the 'neutral' size in the way of a bedroom.  The room size aspect I think should get a little more love and currently feels like it was 'thrown into place' as a place holder for now and not tweaked yet.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

twoski

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 30, 2015, 03:16:14 PM
It depends on furniture. Royal bed eats up space. For some reason room facilities like multi-analyzer, tool cabinet and life monitor are deducted from room size. Despite the fact you can uninstal them, squares they're on don't count as belonging to the room.

I'm not even using queen beds, just simple beds with a lamp. Even with the furniture taking up 2-3 tiles that's still a LOT of empty space.

Boston

What I don't actually understand is just why the colonists have to have separate, spacious, luxurious sleeping quarters in order to not get any debuffs.

They are in a goddamned survival situation.  You would think they would be happy to have a bed, much less a private bedroom with carpet, solid gold toilets and mechanoid to give them whatever they will.....

For the overwhelming majority of human existence, there were no private sleeping quarters. You slept with your whole family, in one room, often in the same bed (to conserve warmth and space). In many places, whole clans would sleep together in the same longhouse. Private bedrooms were always for the rich, or for the middle class in the last hundred years or so.

Meanwhile, my colonists bitch because they share the same "bedroom" in my longhouse ( I play under the tribal challenge). They aren't packed in like sardines, either. I can see if they get woken up by other colonists moving around and such, but not just because you were all living together.

And, most of the backgrounds are compliant with the above fact (no private sleeping quarters). On an urbworld (think Hiveworld from Warhammer 40k)/ Indworld (think Forgeworld from Warhammer 40k), most apartment habitation-blocks would likely be small and cramped. On a medieval world, most peasants (90% of the population) would likely live in a 1-room house.  Only on a Midworld or a Glitterworld would there be much chance of a single person sleeping in private quarters.

If we assume that a single tile is 3ft be 3 feet, my personal bedroom would be 2 tiles by 3 tiles. And it is pretty big for one guy: I've got a lot of stuff, and still have a lot of space.

Goldenglade

I actually agree with boston here. And even from a game balance point there's so many other factors that effect mood the minor debuff from shared rooms is  kind of overkill... however i will admit with the greedy and jealous buffs i can understand wanting their own rooms. The room size is actually kind of overkill with a double bed a lamp and a small statue even a large room seems to become small despite the excessive amount of tiles going around.

akiceabear

I also agree these values need some rebalancing.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Boston on August 31, 2015, 12:07:16 AM
What I don't actually understand is just why the colonists have to have separate, spacious, luxurious sleeping quarters in order to not get any debuffs.

They are in a goddamned survival situation.  You would think they would be happy to have a bed, much less a private bedroom with carpet, solid gold toilets and mechanoid to give them whatever they will.....

I agree for the most part. But are you aware that the poorer the country, the more luxurious palaces of the rulers and other greedy people ? Even if dictators dress like workers.

Maybe replace the "shared bedroom" and "disturbed sleep" penalties with inability to pray and meditate in shared rooms. So colonists would spend more time cloudwatching, going for a walk (I had a colonist cross half of Ludeonicrous size map), etc which cause some minor problems, like colonists spread over the map when a raid comes or tired.

confusedwings

I understand that there is no need for big rooms with lot's of thing in it when you are trying to survive.
But i would think that in time ppl are trying to stay alive after some time they will have the need for bigger/better.

Maybe it's best to let the need for 'bigger/better' thing depend on how big your colony is...

At start you would be happy to have a bedroom to stay dry etc when you just dropped down from a crash.
But after X amount of time, when you have a bigger colony (example 10 colonist) the need wil be bigger to have more and better stuf.

I think that's the 'normal' thing of life... look in real life... only few ppl on earth a few Thousand years ago but they lived in 'small' caves. The more ppl on earth the bigger and better the housing gets...
as Always some ppl wil Always do things different... like in our history, the hippies (back to nature)...

just think about it... maybe this is possible in a mod or for the creators of the game... good luck

twoski

Maybe have it such that pawns become greedier as they become more used to living on the planet. In the beginning they would be content with smaller rooms, but as your living spaces become more luxurious the pawns want larger rooms.