Suggestion - More realistic time and chunks

Started by blub01, August 31, 2015, 01:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blub01

I don't even want maximum time accelleration to be slower(actually, I'd like it to be faster), I just want different activities to be realistically balanced.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: JesterHell on September 05, 2015, 01:33:10 PM
Also I'm the opposite, realism over game mechanics every time man.  :D

Realism can oftentimes enhance gameplay (and many game devs tend to discard this fact too quickly for my liking) but it must never detract from it. You should never implement realism if it makes the game less enjoyable. Down that path lies only damnation.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Kalshion

Personally I couldn't careless about full realism in these games, after all; if I wanted realism I wouldn't be playing games.

However, I do see the point of having at least some realism in a game. For example, I wish that there were more days in a month, instead of ten make it twenty. Make the days a bit longer, as I've seen that it seems to take a pawn almost an hour to eat their food (which makes no sense), so make it take less time for them to do that in order to make the days feel longer.

JesterHell

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 05, 2015, 02:56:06 PM
You should never implement realism if it makes the game less enjoyable. Down that path lies only damnation.

Well seeing as how enjoyment is subjective it can make it less enjoyable for some and more for others.

An example is that in the last up DF added world simulation and goblins no longer just appear from the ether at your fortress to attack, instead they only attack if your within a certain distance from your fort and if you on the other side of the world they'll just ignore you, they also travel across the world map to get to your fortress and the attacker come form the civilization's population so no more 100 strong siege followed by a 200 strong siege.

I think its an improvement because it increases realism and make the world more "Alive" while many others hate it and want the old system back.

Quote from: Kalshion on September 05, 2015, 04:15:28 PM
Personally I couldn't careless about full realism in these games, after all; if I wanted realism I wouldn't be playing games.

I don't know about you but I play games to do the things I never could or would do irl, I just find that realism helps me with my suspension of disbelief and that why I prefer Arma over Call of Duty and I think the realism makes it feel a lot more tense and enjoyable.

blub01

Quote from: Kalshion on September 05, 2015, 04:15:28 PM

However, I do see the point of having at least some realism in a game. For example, I wish that there were more days in a month, instead of ten make it twenty. Make the days a bit longer, as I've seen that it seems to take a pawn almost an hour to eat their food (which makes no sense), so make it take less time for them to do that in order to make the days feel longer.

actually, a biggish meal not eaten in a hurry, maybe with some talking in between, takes about an hour, so in my opininion that shouldn't be changed. What should be changed is the movement speed in relation, as that is just plain unrealistic, and, as a result, the levels of time acceleration.
Quote from: NoImageAvailable on September 05, 2015, 02:56:06 PM
Quote from: JesterHell on September 05, 2015, 01:33:10 PM
Also I'm the opposite, realism over game mechanics every time man.  :D

Realism can oftentimes enhance gameplay (and many game devs tend to discard this fact too quickly for my liking) but it must never detract from it. You should never implement realism if it makes the game less enjoyable. Down that path lies only damnation.

In what way does this suggestion make gameplay less enjoyable? Also, you're right that if realism makes the game less enjoyable, it shouldn't be implemented, but there are a lot of views on what is enjoyable and what is not. some people like it superrealistic and grindy as hell, others want it very easy. that's just the way it is. that's why the communitie's feedback is needed, because not everybody has the same opinion on what is good for the game.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.