Suggesties for windows

Started by Mullie0, November 06, 2013, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willow512

What's the issue? Why not give the opportunity to make windows. And let the player choose what to do with it.

If someone wants to put a window in his outer wall for a raider to break through then that's bad design. If someone wants windows to his inner courtyard then by all means give him the option! A window would be like a wall that lets light fall in when undamaged, damaged it would be like a sandbag. Should be easy enough to build.

Heck deckchairs and garden gnomes would be a good idea if it helps people get immersed into the experience... ;)

The game isn't just about survival, at a certain point it's about thriving and the experience of a story about settling on an alien world. Those who pick Phoebe as a story teller will enjoy this immensely. Those who pick cassandra hard might be more interested in a continuous raider assault.

The point is just because something is pointless to one player doesn't make it pointless to the next player!

todofwar

Definitely like the idea of windows. Maybe different types of windows, i.e. gun slits which provide no happiness benefit but provide very good cover.

Workload

I wouldn't mind Glass windows could make em take the whole tile like a full window or make them half windows so they have to crawl but then it be more work to make the glass and wall part have there own HP.

Not sure about gun windows maybe if there a lot weaker then walls.

Bob Buddha

Loop-Holes, AKA arrow slits are a good idea and commonly found in old-west type fortifications.  There should be some physical way that they should be able to protect themselves beyond sand bags or peeking out from around corners.  Walls are pretty easily breached in this game so I don't think its too-uber.

As far as natural light;  Skylights or Sola-Tubes.
Many have already said it but there should be an easy way to have ceiling mounted lighting.

windruf

Quote from: Aisomasu on November 08, 2013, 05:35:02 AM
What about barred windows? Loopholes? Bulletproof glass walls/windows?
we would be happy about bulletproof walls and sandbags  :(

fervour

+1 this suggestion, I was going to suggest it but it's been suggested already. Phoebe FTW!

Renham

I love the idea of having windows, so the colonist can shoot through them-- maybe some variations like a shooting hole or just normal windows- or bullet proof cristal walls. you know for that science fiction look we all want to give our bases
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

Razvan92

Great ideeas. Also add fences Raiders could jump these fences, having an 1,5 second animation and so. But they would be verry helpful. And make the windows be from different matterials, such as Normal Glass, Buletproof, With Wooden Bars, With Steel Bars etc. They could break the window which you could repair but they can not enter into the building unless they break the bars which is of course much harder to brake like 1/2 of the normal material toughness. :D

zandadoum

gonna necro this thread to not make another one:

i'd also like to see windows. many biomes have a lot of daylight, so i'd rather have windows than having to make lamps.

FMJ Penguin

Just get the base code in there and one simple window. Let the modders have at it. It really is mod territory cuzz not everyone is going to even bother using them so we'd have an entire UI full of windows collecting dust in many cases and all that work creating them just "poof"...

But this topic does come up often enough to warrant some effort imo. (I'm no programmer so have no clue how trying it would be to get it done)
For what it's worth...
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

ZoA

Buildings in this game really need windows. They should come in ad least two types, normal windows to allow daylight in to buildings, and gun slits so bunkers can be constructed .

In fact I think bunkers made that way should replace gun turrets in early game as main defense installation. Automated turrets is something that seems too advanced for early game and should probably be pushed later in the tech tree as something that has to be invented. Until then colonist would use buildings with gun slits to protect themselves.

SaintD

Man, forget windows, I'm all for firing slits in fortified walls so you can build proper bunkers. The game is already set up to deal effectively with it anyway, and like the guy above me said, it can replace gun turrets for the early and mid game.

Rimworld seems to already be about risky combat where the only way to win is dig the hell in and be smarter on the defensive. Impassable firing slits means more firefights between pawns, instead of brainless enemy zerg rushes which require killzone turret courtyards to counter because you can't take the attrition of fighting even slightly fair against uncaring NPC hordes. Every single enemy attack would be with sappers, but thats ok because you can respond by having multiple bunkers set up in key areas....instead of getting pissy about enemy sappers going around the single killzone your energy infrastructure can afford to be running.

No more turret killzones and gigantic walls around every single colony in order to funnel enemies there. Instead you'd be able to put down bunkers in key locations where enemies spawn or path, and rush to man them. Melee fighters, to some degree, acquire greater usefulness in being able to defend gaps that raiders blow in the bunker wall while everyone else keeps firing.

You'd have to put your colonists in harms way, but it won't feel unfair because the risk would be so much less. But the risk would still be there, as opposed to what I do now, which is ensure that every enemy walks directly into a hellish wall made of completely disposable gun turrets and malicious laughter.

FMJ Penguin

Well lotsa people would like that but doubt it will ever happen in the base game anyways. There's just no great way to balance walls you can fire through. Even if the enemy was smart enough to run up and shoot back at you.... melee enemies would be completely ineffective. As if they need any more help at sucking  ;)  Besides, there's alot you can do with walls and sandbags already with a lil imagination(maybe too much actually).

Although, back on topic, why couldn't you use windows as "slits" in walls? Seems reasonable to me to use them as dual purpose. They'd just have to expand on the AI a bit so they'd know they can shoot back through it. (nevermind, there would still be the issue with melee baddies being useless.)
Bits & bobs: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buuxpswcu9rzh3o/AABlRN4f2E4UNfDY8a_RoA6Ea?dl=0 All open source so sell it to Adolf for a new pair of sneaks if you like.
"Curious.... How many credit hours does it take tell you can make a comment like that without laughing uncontrollably at yourself?"

Nebbie

Embrasures ("medieval windows") and light-bringing windows are rather different. Embrasures would act like better sandbags combined with vents, while the original post was talking about glass windows to get light into rooms without losing enclosure (save on energy, don't lose out on heat).
I'd rather see glass windows than embrasures, but I'd like to see both. The former would finally provide a good reason to actually have rooms near the outdoors and the latter would finally make the melee rushes (where raiders/animals just climb over my sandbags) less ridiculous.