[0.12.914] World generation - 4k textures on intel hd 3000

Started by OwlPaste, August 31, 2015, 09:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OwlPaste

*Description*
Map generation seems to give me an interesting view of the world, sometimes it reports stone types, sometimes not. Also the graphics seem to be kinda buggered up. Didn't notice anyone else reporting this, the impact varies from the lines as you can see on the screenshot or completely unreadable map (all jumbled up). The severety changes every time you re-run the game. Reloading the mods menu (to reload the mods even if you make no changes) causes no changes.

*SW version* A12.d
*Mods* Core with disabled mods
*OS* Mac
*Reproducibility* Always
*Mitigation* None found
*Impact* I am sad :(

*Note*
Good thing I saved the content as forum did not want to accept screenshots of png's - too large. Will add them shortly.

*Note 2*
Both screenshots are of the same generation, however different points on the map are selected.

*Note 3*
I can has the previous release somewhere? My link only lets me download 914 and already blasted previous version :(

*Note 4*
It seems that saved games seem to be unaffected and can be loaded, saw no immediate issues with the saves.

*Mitigaiton 1*
This issue only seems to affect generation of worlds screen and not actual colony start screen. So you can always generate a map accept it and attempt to start a colony on it. It will work sometimes, but you can simply re-launch the spot choice and sometimes you can get lucky to see the map properly :)

[attachment deleted due to age]

ison

Does your graphic card support 4096x4096 or greater textures?

OwlPaste

Hardware hasn't changed and I never experienced this bug before.

Video card: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Looking at google, it does seem like its not supported :(

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Intel+HD+Graphics+3000+texture+size+support

Anything I can do outside generating smaller worlds? After a bit of testing, it seems that only the smallest world generates without any graphical issues.

OwlPaste

Oh actually I just understood what is going on here - it seems that the map image does not match what is actually being generated and I think in the first screenshot I must have ended up looking at a water tile instead. It simply looked like a normal tile.

OwlPaste

I modified the original post title to make more sense and added a mitigation to this. Its not as big issue as I initially thought, as I can still see everything fine outside of the planet preview screen. Just odd that this has cropped up only now.

*Mitigation 1*
This issue only seems to affect generation of worlds screen and not actual colony start screen. So you can always generate a map accept it and attempt to start a colony on it. It will work sometimes, but you can simply re-launch the spot choice and sometimes you can get lucky to see the map properly :)

ison

I am glad to hear that you found a workaround.

It seems that it's not a critical bug, but quite tricky to solve.

This bug is mantised and closed, not sure if <4096 max texture size will ever be supported.
https://ludeon.com/mantis/view.php?id=2006