Drivers crashing the game+computer

Started by Thane, August 31, 2015, 02:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thane

Hello all, I just got this shiny new dell laptop running windows 10 and have been trying to get rimworld to run.

It seems to be an issue with my display drivers, Nvidia v. 355.60. The computer will begin to act up and freeze, oddly enough, on the character selection screen. Sometimes the computer crashes right there and sometimes I can play for five minutes before the whole computer shuts down. The drivers are up to date and windows is as well. I have an i7 processor so there should be no issues  in a sane world. Then again I'm trying to play Rimworld.

I don't have any crash reports as the game is not crashing before the system does. Any bright ideas out there?

Thank you, Thane
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Coenmcj

What are we talking here, A Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) or just hard, straight reboot with no warning at all?

It definitely sounds a lot like the windows 10 update service has pushed through a dodgy update (Again..) as your hardware sounds like it could handle Rimworld easy.
Hopefully it should be remedied within a week, have you put in a support ticket with Nvidia/windows?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Thane

I have and I tried to get dell's customer support to help me out with it, as well, but bad tech support. I did notice that today when I tried with no internet connected and no programs running in the background the game ran somewhat stably for ten minutes.

It can be either a BSOD, or a hard reboot; though the blue screen is the more common. Generally, it gives me the same response that the 'Display drivers have stopped responding and have recovered' about every two seconds then eventually either BSOD, or it restarts.

Seems like a pretty rough feedback loop between windows and my drivers as some other games have been exhibiting similar behavior. If not as reliably, as I tried to tell the dell guy when he declared my system 'fixed' when I was able to start, did not even play it yet, AOE II.

Ah, premium support so worth it..

Anyway yeah that's the plan wait until either Nvidia, or windows gets their act together.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

RemingtonRyder

When driver installations are updated, there's always the chance that old driver files are left hanging around, and this can screw things up.

My advice is to get hold of a utility like Display Driver Uninstaller. Boot into Safe Mode, run the utility, then restart and do a clean install of display drivers, or let Windows 10 handle it if you have no choice but to let it update your drivers.

Thane

Okay the driver wipe thing sorta worked. I didn't get any messages until the computer had an NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE error. So I did the whole thing again and I'm going to try this at a smaller map size that hopefully won't overload my pc. Will edit this post in a few with results.

edit: Okay working well on the smallest map size ran for 20 minutes straight no hiccups.

Thane

Okay well at least the drivers don't bug anymore, but I still get a hardware error after 30min. My Comp is an Inspiron 5558. Any other ideas?

Coenmcj

Judging by what I'm reading on a variety of sites, The NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE is caused by a faulty piece of hardware, Generally, the RAM or a piece of hardware you had installed recently.
however, as it is a Laptop, I don't think it could be something you've added recently as they're not really customizable friendly.

harpo99999

it is also possible that the cause of the nmi interupt crash could be oxidised connectors (laptops only have the connectors to the ram and hard drive as the rest of the system is all on ONE circuit board. if I suspect the edge connectors in a computer I shut it down, then open the case and remove the suspect part and using one of the white plastic erasers, erase the dull (oxidised surface) on the edge connector then re-assemble and test

Thane

Okay, thanks I guess I won't be able to play Rimworld until Christmas break then. I sorta need this thing for school and I can't be risking it to that degree at least until the end of the semester. Well <insert desired expletive here>. At least it works for e-mail, Word and things like that.

Serves me right buying a Dell, should have got a brand a little more renowned for reliability.

Thanks for all the help guys, and at least my drivers are a bit more responsive now so there is that.

Coenmcj

No problem, Shame you can't play though. :/

Well there's also your school's Techies, or even a local computer shop, If you tell them what the problem is they might be able to fix it for you. :)

RiseOfEthos

Hey, sorry for this being a little late but I found your problem when I was looking for a solution to my own problem, both of which are similar. I also have an Inspiron 5558 and always had the same problem; crashing NVIDIA, NMI Hardware Failures, both soft and hard crashes. Only difference is I fixed mine (Kind of).

Pretty much, a list of what I did in order, though I don't think it would matter
1 - Reinstall NVIDIA Drivers
2 - Run a registry checker (I used CCleaner)
3 - run "sfc /scannow" in command prompt
4 - Right click on the Rimworld application -> Properties -> "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" -> Windows 7
5 - Make sure it runs in administrator

While like this, it can run for either less than 10 minutes or up to a whole day (or anything in between) without issue. Also I would suggest keeping it at a low map size, turns out it's compatibility issues between hardware and software which caused the problem, which is rare this days but was common years ago. Might be fixed in a later version, but for now this works quite well.

Thane

So in other words 'Use all the digital duct tape and keep it below 20mph"https://ludeon.com/forums/Smileys/default/grin.gif
Thanks I'll give that command prompt and registry stuff a try tomorrow. Might work, if not I'll just wait for the steam release and try for a 1700 elo rating in Age of Empires II.

retype

I'm having the exact same problem, I got a new dell and it is mni_hardware_failure whenever I play the game. Is it possible to get a confirmation that this will be addressed in a latter release? or can I get my money back? (if it was just buggy I wouldn't ask, but I literally can't play the game)

Thane

I'd expect the steam release to fix it mostly, like I said in my last post. Then again my dell LT has problems with EVERY sim game from Age of Empires to Rimworld. Yet has no issues running 7 Days to Die, or World of Warships (granted on low graphics settings.)

Of course it means I am going to hand it to the Dell support people over winter break and tell them to fix it, or give me a new one that works!

Thane

Hi all just wanted to let you know that it seems to have been mostly a software issue with the first release of windows 10 back in August 2015. The version that just came out (November) seems to fix my compatibility issues and I can finally enjoy A12.