Patrols

Started by NemesisN, August 31, 2015, 11:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NemesisN

please make a Patrol zone option so armed colonist would go around and guard an area in time what you select in daily schedule....this could be very useful to replace building turrets all over just in case

it would be nice if the restriction zones, schedule is expanded so we can play around and organize our colonies instead of having 1 specific zone restriction that needs to be manually selected....maybe have a specific time when colonist are restricted to one zone and when that time passes (clock time) the restriction changes to whatever you selected next....same like sleeping time, work time,....but with restriction zones

just a more expanded version of restriction zones with more options....would be useful
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

A Friend

Until ambush events and stealth raids are implemented, I doubt patrols would serve much use right now.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

NemesisN

crashing pods raids, animals that go berserk near you, sappers that dig around and enter

patrols would serve nice for these kinds of things instead of just building turrets all over and hoping solar flare does not decide to troll or any event that causes power loss
Join the RimWorld fan community group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/

LouisTBR

Yes, but this would take lots of colony time (changing shifts, breaks, night shift/day shift etc.) and there still wouldn't be enough people in a normal colony to work the patrol 24/7, which would make it pretty pointless. Also, In the unlikely event that there would be a raid/mental animal in the time they were on patrol, the shifts would have to be pretty long to accommodate the whole incident before the patrol swaps shifts. It would be a huge waste of colonist time, just to avoid drafting and moving colonists which only takes about two seconds anyway.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

NemesisN

there are colonist that get captured that are not much good in anything except shooting or melee

a lot of injured colonist that have those skills get left behind its a good use of recruitments to have 2-4 colonist patrolling in shifts and on alert just in case ambush happens like raid pod drops inside your base or animal berserk or any attack at all

usually I take organs and kill those kind of colonist that are left behind because they don't have much use with just melee and shooting they are just always idle but this way I could have a good use of them and recruit them

LouisTBR

Yes, I understand your point, but does walking in a straight line count as doing something? You could just let them go for a walk and draft them when needed, which gives them joy. Personally, I am struggling to find a way I would use this feature.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

b0rsuk

There are no surprise attacks in this game. Even drop pods give you several seconds, if you don't build your colony in a foolish way you can always run to cover or turret switch.

And there are allowed zones. Select a colonist, select an allowed area for him. I did that to a turtle that self-tamed. I thought that maybe 50% sharp resistance would make it a bullet sponge, but it was turned into a pincushion after a single raid.

LouisTBR

b0rsuk! You evil *******! Don't use tortoises as sponges! He, but in all honesty, he's right, there is absolutely no good use for patrols.

TheDydy63[FR]

cool idea ^^  ;) i want this one into rimworld
Hi,i'm TheDydy63 .I'm french translator for Rimworld and i help this community grow .I like draw some  textures for game for example (minecraft,terraria,GTA and more) but i'm very creative and i have some ideas for help Rimworld

youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMSTMcgZE6OIi-BY6Dd

b0rsuk

Patrols may fit better to a game like Dwarf Fortress, where you just designate stuff and cross your fingers. In Rimworld and Dungeon Keeper, you can control units directly as far as combat is concerned.

Dungeon Keeper had "Outpost" rooms, which made monsters enter it and stay for a while. But you could also pick monsters up and drop them directly into battle. DK2 added a few seconds of stun, which changed very little, you just dropped monsters 15m from the enemy.

Outposts had just one niche use: protecting from skirmishes. Flies, spiders, various fast creatures would sometimes enter your tunnels and pester your workforce. Dropping creatures or the "To Arms" spell wasn't efficient against guerilla attacks.

In Rimworld, all raids have a definite start and end. It's one big, medieval-style battle where both sides face each other until one retreats or dies.There are no prolonged sieges, not of the kind that patrolling would help against.

Manhunter packs are very similar to raids in that you either fight them off immediately, or you lock people up and wait. If wargs get close, they tend be everywhere, so even if you have several exits it's hard to find a moment when there are no wargs close to the door, letting you take a few pot shots. Even when that happens, colonists aren't smart enough to do it on their own, and must be directly controlled in drafted mode.

Moral of the story: if you want to see patrolling in the game, you need to campaign for new types of challenge: skirmishes and prolonged sieges. Skirmishes that are more of a nuisance than a real threat, like monkeys throwing sticks, stones and poo. Something that can be fought off by just a few colonists, and isn't dangerous enough for player to micromanage. But look at hunting - the danger is is very little, and every now and then colonists still shoot each other!

JimmyAgnt007

If only we could build something to guard an area instead of using colonist time.  They could do the shooting while we organized the colonists.  Instead of needing to eat or sleep they just used power...  If only.

In all seriousness the sentry gun does all the things a patrol would do with current mechanics.  If we had goblins coming to steal our children then we would need guards.  Having guard dogs would also be a good measure against that.  Hmmm... we appear to have that now. 

The map is simply too big to bother sending people out on long patrols even with whatever mechanics might be implemented.  So a guard post might come into play down the line, but i doubt patrols would be much use.  But thats just me.  The future always tends to point at things and tell me how wrong I was.

b0rsuk

Embrasures and guard towers would go a long way towards making patrolling possible and useful. We know the official argumentation - enemy AI is unable to cope with them.

Another issue is new colonist mode. Undrafted colonists can't shoot, drafted colonists are mindless robots who can't eat and sleep. I think they only cancel drafted mode when very hungry and tired.