2 Important Questions

Started by palandus, January 06, 2014, 04:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palandus

First the quotes:
1) Tynan Quote = "There are no aliens. See the docs for more info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

I can't put Reavers in, exactly, for copyright reasons, but you could have the idea of a more psychotic kind of raider. However, there are some logical issues with this. Reavers always bothered me because their style of existence obviously isn't sustainable as an ongoing subculture. What do they eat? Where do they get fuel? How do they maintain and run complex machinery like starships? If we did psychotics they'd probably be smaller, temporary groups of recently-formed crazypeople."

2) Tynan Quote = "The Thing. A colonist becomes a ravaging beast." (Storyteller Incident)
----

Question 1: Will there be Reaver-like enemies in Rimworld?
-> Reavers in Firefly generally ate other humans, and hunted down people for that purpose. Or they ate the food supplies off their ships and colonies.
-> They could have gotten fuel by raiding and boarding other starships and colonies.
-> They may not understand their starships actually, and may simply use basic repairs to hold them together (ie duct tape methodology)

Question 2: Will there be aliens in Rimworld.
-> I feel its necessary to re-ask this question when you consider the second quote "The Thing". Anyone who has watched John Carpenter's 1982 The Thing, knows that the Thing was an actual alien that came from outer space in a flying saucer (re-watch the first 5 minutes if you don't believe me).
-> By "alien" how would you define an "alien", Tynan? Are we talking alien as in Vulcans, Romulans, or Klingons (ie somewhat humanoid-esque)? Are we talking parasitic alien such as Xenomorphs (Facehuggers, Chestbursters, and Queens/Praetorians/Soldiers, etc...)? Are we talking genetically engineered lifeforms (Trans-Life may or may not cover this) (such as the Emohawk in Red Dwarf)? Or are we talking about some weird tentacle monstrousity that gets seen in way to many Adult-themed cartoons? What is defined as a "true" alien, when the definition of an alien is incredibly vast? Basically, I'd like it if you could define true alien for me, please? 

Tynan

Where did I write that second quote?

Question 1: No, as I noted before. I don't believe those answers actually make Reavers a viable subculture. They would have to be unbelievably aggressive to steal all their food and all their fuel, and such an aggressive people would quickly either wipe out all enemies or starve to death or be killed entirely. No, Reavers would have to farm or trade or something.

Question 2: An alien is any organism that is not either created artificially or descended from an existing (2014) Earth species. Massive human/animal genetic engineering, transhumans, advanced AI and machine life are all allowed. I'm especially interested in machine life, to be honest.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

palandus

Second quote is from your list of possible storyteller incidents.

Post Title = "Got an idea for a Storyteller incident?"

Its the very first post.

Well, technically that is how the Reavers were in Firefly. Everyone feared them for that very reason. Though, why EarthGov wouldn't have tried to wipe them out, rather than having the events of Serenity (movie) unfold, baffles me. Logically, you are right, they should have either died off, killed off everything, or imploded upon themselves with infighting.

Galileus

That "The Thing" thing was a "working title" for an idea, and not an idea of implementing the thing alien ^^' I'm quite sure I've pointed that out already.

Also, there is an alien in The Thing. But it's not all about alien. Well, I would even say it's not about the alien at all. Poor, cute creature was just a vessel for delivery. Something people behind the re-make and most of modern horrors directors should learn, as this genre degenerated into so-called "scary" CGI, jumpscares and bloodbaths.

And to be honest, I'm really glad with RimWorld's approach to alien species. Robotic life... eeeh, depends on the story I guess, not huge fan of it either. But that can very well be my cynical nature... after all, alien lifeforms are such a great reason why not to create deep characters! Who needs reason, when there are aliens?

That, or I read too much Dukaj and Lem.

palandus

You might have Galileus, but Tynan had left the "Thing" up to opinion, which is why I clarified the issue.

Which The Thing are you referring to, the 1982 one or the 2011 Prequel one (Both titled The Thing, for confusion sake) The 2011 one was very CG-esque jump scare. Whereas the 1982 one was practical (compared to CG) and operated on atmospheric horror rather than jump scares.

Clearly, you haven't seen too many 80s / 90s horror flicks. Those ones are the goriest, most bloody, and most gratituously nudified of all horror movies. Excellent examples would be Hellraiser, The Thing, Prince of Darkness (also by John Carpenter), etc... These movies make the ones of today appear to be cheap knockoffs. The only decent CG movie with decent gore and bloodbaths would be Starship Troopers (2011 I think), but it isn't a horror flick.

The Thing in the 1982 one was actually all about the alien, or to be more precise, part of the alien, as the alien was a parasitic orgasm, much like the T-Virus (AIDS) which infects a host cell and adapts it into other one of itself. So ya, the entire movie was about the Thing. Not knowing who was one and who wasn't one.

Depends on his definition of robotic life. Are we talking Cyborgs (ie Robocop), Robotic animals (ie Cyberdogs or the Gun from Fallout New Vegas), Demonic Cyborgs (ie Arachnotrons or Spider Mastermind [Doom]), etc...