Animal Information Thread + Poll (A17 Updated)

Started by LouisTBR, September 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Animal? State Reasons below after voting please!

Alpaca
Alphabeaver
Boar
Boomalope
Boomrat
Capybara
Chicken
Chinchilla
Cobra
Cow
Deer
Dromedary (Camel)
Elephant
Elk
Hare
Husky
Iguana
Labrador
Megascarab
Monkey
Muffalo
Pig
Squirrel
Thrumbo
Tortoise
Warg
Yorkshire Terrier
Cassowary
Emu
Gazelle
Ibex
Megasloth
Ostrich
Snowhare
Turkey
Megaspider
Spelopede
Raccoon
Rat
Arctic Fox
Arctic Wolf
Cat
Cougar
Fennec Fox
Lynx
Panther
Red Fox
Timberwolf
Grizzly Bear

MultiDavid

I picked muffalo, if only they bred more often QQ

While i still haven't gotten them to breed, their general tankyness, and the fact they give milk + wool, is a good replacement for cows if you never manage to find one.

LouisTBR

I get you. And their milk reproduces quick.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Alitaria

Gotta say, its one of the strangest things I've ever seen
Context is key when discussing RimWorld in public

Vault101

Which animals are best to breed for sustainable meat production?

I had camels and elephants but they have a long gestation period, not to mention the growth (a year and 2 months in and camel is still juvenille and doesn't produce any milk, fur and it can't breed). I'm thinking pigs or boars might be good because they can have multiple offsprings from one birth (at least I saw that in blitz's video) but how long does gestation period and maturity time take?

And which animals are best as cash cows for their fur / leather? Products from camelhair are amazing for heat isolation but they're worth very little (like 120$ for masterwork duster on extreme).

LouisTBR

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Snownova

Great list, something I'd like to see added though is how long each species takes to reach maturity.

As for my pick, I went with Alpaca, I love the color of their wool and they're a great moneymaker.

LouisTBR

Vault101

Add how many offsprings per birth they can get as well if you can!

akiceabear

Thanks for the list! A nice addition would be time to produce an egg/wool/milk.

skullywag

Husky....i mean its a wolf dog, and i love them irl.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

TLHeart

For making cash, alpaca wool, turned into shirts and dusters.

Bread for meat, pigs, then wild boars.

But don't forget it takes 5 meat to equal 1 egg.... chickens produce the most food for the least work. Just segregate the cockerels out, let them reach 3 months and butcher.

LouisTBR

Ok, I can add those too if you guys want!

LouisTBR

Ok, everyone! The update to my list is going to be finished this weekend. In future, I will be choosing one suggestion (the best!) Each week. These will be chosen on Monday, started on Monday and finished by Sunday. Winning suggestions will be announced as soon as they are chosen. I am also happy to recieve any new list suggestions. Have a great weekend!

b0rsuk

Pigs are surprisingly good! They breed fast, the are quite easy to train. They haul very well. The downside, they're a bit vulnerable to cold. -15*C bothers them.
Wild boars have -20*C tolerance, but are much harder to train and haul only about 53. The cheapass option.

I had several pigs, labradors and two huskies in my colony. Half of labradors joined in an event, the rest was bought. I had HAULING TRAINS with no effort! Snow or no snow, deconstructed mortars, remote cargo drops, remote mining sites, they did practically all hauling for me.

Investing in hauling dogs REALLY pays off in the long run.

Lady Wolf

So far I've found Huskies to be the ideal companion, (at least when playing on tundra/icesheet or aboreal biomes.) same thing with labs in warmr climates, although they do tend to breed uncontrollably if you're not paying attention. (Started with 2, and now have around 14 of them a year later.)