Animal Information Thread + Poll (A17 Updated)

Started by LouisTBR, September 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Animal? State Reasons below after voting please!

Alpaca
Alphabeaver
Boar
Boomalope
Boomrat
Capybara
Chicken
Chinchilla
Cobra
Cow
Deer
Dromedary (Camel)
Elephant
Elk
Hare
Husky
Iguana
Labrador
Megascarab
Monkey
Muffalo
Pig
Squirrel
Thrumbo
Tortoise
Warg
Yorkshire Terrier
Cassowary
Emu
Gazelle
Ibex
Megasloth
Ostrich
Snowhare
Turkey
Megaspider
Spelopede
Raccoon
Rat
Arctic Fox
Arctic Wolf
Cat
Cougar
Fennec Fox
Lynx
Panther
Red Fox
Timberwolf
Grizzly Bear

milon

Quote from: Travinsky on May 22, 2016, 04:59:52 PM
Quote from: FlorenceTWA on May 22, 2016, 01:50:40 PM
I like polar bears. They don't like me. I leave corpses out there on the ice and they still choose me for dinner

*Sigh*

On the Ice Sheet they blend in, I never spot them till one poor colonist who was hauling some junk from a cargo pod gets attacked by a polar.

Natural selection is tough sonofabitch.

I haven't played much Ice Sheet on A13 yet, but I do love the predators on Boreal Forest.  They do my hunting for me!  They kill smaller animals in the Home Zone, eat a little, and my colonists steal what's left and add it to the stockpile.  Then more meat wanders in from the edge of the map!  ;D

LouisTBR

I like how you play!

May I ask which predators do this? As far as I know, cougars/bears etc. hunt the smaller animals (Squirrels, Boomrats etc.), but they generally eat the whole thing.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

milon

It's been a while since I played that map.  IIRC, it was cougars & bears doing the hunting.  I forget what was being hunted, but it was smaller-than-the-predator game (not "small" in the absolute sense).  It may have been boars, tortoises, etc - things that would be more than 1 predator meal.

And it's a really satisfying way to gather food in the early game.  :)

LouisTBR

Good idea! Thanks
Can I put that on the main post, as a pointer?
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

FlorenceTWA

Quote from: Travinsky on May 22, 2016, 04:59:52 PM
Quote from: FlorenceTWA on May 22, 2016, 01:50:40 PM
I like polar bears. They don't like me. I leave corpses out there on the ice and they still choose me for dinner

*Sigh*

On the Ice Sheet they blend in, I never spot them till one poor colonist who was hauling some junk from a cargo pod gets attacked by a polar.

Natural selection is tough sonofabitch.

Sounds I'm pretty lucky because most polar bears tend to wander closer to my home (probably because I gather all available animal bodies near home) and eventually just sit outside my doors and refuse to move. They still "wander" but really they just sit there waiting. If we don't go out, they go eat some corpse and return to the door; during night they walk backwards a bit and fall asleep, then in the morning the cycle repeats.

...Ugh, that doesn't sound lucky at all. But at least I get to keep an eye on how hungry they are...

Listen1

Is there no rhino? They are better than bears.

Also wreck havoc.

milon

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on May 23, 2016, 02:08:00 PM
Good idea! Thanks
Can I put that on the main post, as a pointer?

Sure, go ahead.  I suggest you test it out and work out the kinks first.  Honestly, I didn't "invent" it so much as fall into it.  So I don't have helpful information about how to do it intentionally.  I only figured it out once I realized that they were all slightly nommed.  :)

Jonofwrath

I once sent a hoard (15?) of tamed attack-boars to fight 5 heavily armed raiders.

Each raider lasted maybe 3 seconds each at the most!

Tusks for the win!

Plus they haul and have cute piglets.

LouisTBR

Will do. Thanks Milon!

And, as for the boars thing:

Yeah, they are such good fighters. I once had a group of raiders with charge rifles, and the boars took about 30 hits from each and still managed to take them out :)

linkfanpc

Alpalca, because they're cute, cuddly, and love to nuzzle my colonists. :3
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

LouisTBR

LouisTBR

Hello Everyone! I am really frustrated. I spent about 2 hours updating the list for Alpha 14, and it told me that there was a maximum of 20000 characters. So, I took some chunks out, and it came up again. On my third try, the webpage expired and I lost EVERYTHING... I have learnt my lesson and I will use notepad++ next time before posting. I was thinking of starting a 'Part 2' of this thread for Alpha 14 onwards, but I need help. Can anybody be so kind to as to come up with some of the animal stats. PLEASE NOTIFY ME OF THE ANIMAL YOU CHOOSE TO WORK ON! THAT WAY WE DON'T OVERLAP!

(Use Notepad++ or equivalent and attach the file to a post when finished. That way I can use it! Thank you!)

How it works:

(USE http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Animals and find the table!)

Attack: Find the DPS for your current animal. Then, study the others briefly to get a rough range of the average/best/worst DPS scores. Then, convert that to a /10 chart please! For example, if the animal had a 9.00 DPS, then it would be 9-10/10. If it had 1.2 DPS, then it would be 1-3/10.

Speed: Again, find the speed of your animal and the average speeds of others, and do a /10 chart accordingly!

Defence: Based on their attack score, if they have a 7/10 attack but they are slow and easy to hit, then their defence score is 5-6/10. If they have a 5/10 attack score, but they are super-fast and very small (Hard to hit), then their defence score would be 6-7/10...

Tameability: The first column on the chart, named 'Wildness'. If they have 80% wildness, then their Tameability score is 2/10. If they have a 75% wildness rating, then their Tameability score is 2.5/10.

Intelligence: My Intelligence ratings are based on the animals training possibility. If, like a chicken, an animal cannot be at all trained, then their Intelligence = None. If, like a tortoise, they can be trained in Obedience and Release but not hauling or rescue, then they have Intelligence Level Intermediate. If they can do everything, like a husky, then they are Advanced. If they can do Obedience + Release + Hauling but not rescue, then you call them Advanced but leave a note 'No Rescue'.

Diet: Fairly self explanatory, if the chart shows a potato plant next to their name ONLY, then they are herbivorous. If it shows only meat, then they are carnivorous. If it shows both, then they are omnivorous. (Note Eggs do not change their rating. If they are herbivorous+eggs then leave it at herbivorous.)

Gestation Period: Click on the animal for its own wiki page and find gestation period in its charts.

Avg. Babies per Birth: Bring up a new colony of rimworld, with no colonist preference or world preference, and turn on developer mode. Click on the 'Open Debug Actions Menu' button at the top. (You will see two identical buttons with play symbols, click the leftmost one!). Click 'Spawn Pawn' and spawn 10 of the animal you are testing. Then, go back into the menu and select 'Give Birth' and click each of the 10 animals. Do all of this while paused. Then, hover over the square of each mother and look in the bottom left corner of the screen. It might look like this:

Grass
Coyote
Coyote Cub
Coyote Cub

And then another square could have three cubs, or one cub etc. Find the range (Lowest and Highest) cub number and type this into the Avg. Babies per Birth box (Eg. 1-3 Babies)

Production Times: Things such as Eggs, Wool, Milk etc. Most animals will not produce anything, but for those who do (Muffalos: Milk and Wool, Chickens: Eggs etc.), click on their Wiki page and you will see the statistic:

Egg Laying Interval: 7 Days
Clutch: 1 to 1.

Once you have this info, write '1 egg every 7 days' in the box. Obviously write different for different values.

Maturity Age: In the animals chart this will be towards the right of the screen. Just write the value into the box.

Market Value: Click on the animal's Wiki page and scroll right to the bottom. You will see the silver symbol, and then 200 or 100 etc. Type this into the Market Value line on your post.

Then, write a description of the animal. It should include: Environment, Training, Useful for etc. Use my post as a guide...

THANK YOU! This helps me hugely. Those who help will get a shoutout on every post I post!

Animals that need work:

Arctic Fox - Flying Rockbass
Arctic Wolf - Flying Rockbass
Caribou - Flying Rockbass
Emu - Flying Rockbass
Fennec Fox - No-one Currently
Gazelle - No-one Currently
Ibex - No-one Currently
Lynx - Aleksh
Megaspider - StormySunrise
Megatherium - Aleksh
Ostrich - No-one Currently
Panther - Aleksh
Racoon - No-one Currently
Rat - No-one Currently
Red Fox - Aleksh
Spelopede - No-one Currently
Timber Wolf - No-one Currently

Thank You!

LouisTBR

Listen1

Hey Louis, I went in the wiki and the data seems pretty up to date for me.

I didn't understand how I can help.

Listen1

Ok!

I'll take these ones,

Arctic Fox - No-one Currently
Arctic Wolf - No-one Currently
Caribou - No-one Currently
Emu - No-one Currently

Right now i'm at work, so I'll be doing these in the evening (5 hours from now.)