Starting loadout linked to character selection

Started by twoski, September 01, 2015, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoski

I think it would be cool to have starting loadouts be a part of the character selection.

Characters with overall shittier stats would have a higher chance to have a decent weapon. Weapons would also be generated based on the person's stats, ie. a brawler will get a club/mace/sword/knife, a shooter will get a firearm. The firearms would be limited to pistol/survival rifle/shotgun since anything else would be too OP early game. The quality of the weapon would vary as well.

For example, you could roll 3 colonists that all have melee weapons, or 3 with firearms, etc. It all depends on what kind of colonists you have.

Mmgfrcs

C#, that's the way
If you asked where, it's in the colonist generation part (RimWorld.GenStep_Colonists)

Livingston I Presume

It's nice idea, but very mod territory I think though.  Because the point of having set starting equipment is that it forces you to work with with limited and basic gear, and pick your characters around limitations and make it more challenging.  If you picked poor characters and you still got given good gear it would ruin the survival aspect.  Also the weapons it gives you are basic, low tech but still balanced, the ideal starting kit.
If you want some good weapons to compensate for poor fighters, just use dev mode.   

Limdood

I imagine EDB's Prepare Carefully mod will eventually become included in the base game.

So many people use it - both to add AND eliminate challenges, that it seems absurd, considering the game is in alpha, that Tynan WOULDN'T add a feature that so many people use and ask for.

Prepare carefully solves all the "can my starting colonists have/get/lose [insert thing here]" suggestions on the forums.

LouisTBR

Yeah, but the idea of a crap colonist getting a good weapon is pointless. Maybe a GOOD shooter gets a GOOD gun (i.e Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle etc.), and vice-versa, same with melee. Whichever stat is better, the colonist has that weapon according to their skill on that weapon type. Like this:

Shooting:

1-5: Pistol

6-10: Survival Rifle

11-15: Assault Rifle

16-20: Sniper Rifle

Melee:

1-5: Shiv

6-10: Knife

11-15: Gladius

16-20: Longsword
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Limdood

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on November 04, 2015, 02:20:10 PM
Yeah, but the idea of a crap colonist getting a good weapon is pointless. Maybe a GOOD shooter gets a GOOD gun (i.e Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle etc.), and vice-versa, same with melee. Whichever stat is better, the colonist has that weapon according to their skill on that weapon type. Like this:

Shooting:
1-5: Pistol
6-10: Survival Rifle
11-15: Assault Rifle
16-20: Sniper Rifle
Melee:
1-5: Shiv
6-10: Knife
11-15: Gladius
16-20: Longsword

No.  Use EDB's prepare carefully.  Leave the starting loadout the same, don't overpower good colonists.