Contest Idea and help

Started by shaw357, September 14, 2015, 05:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaw357

So, I'm thinking about creating a contest in RimWorld, about who can get the best statistics in the period of one real life week on a chosen map seed and chosen coordinates. However, I know it's really easy to cheat in RimWorld, such as if the winner would be determined by wealth, there would be nothing stopping them from spawning in 1000 gold superior statues. So my question is, is there a way to keep cheating off for the duration of a game, and also monitor that it stays off? If not, would it be possible to mod it in?

Daman453

Mod would be the best bet, remove the dev thing or hid it. The only other way is seeing what makes sense. I mean spawning in 100000 gold in the first week seems a little much. There is a history tab, if you can find the bar for wealth then do all, it would show any sudden jumps in wealth.
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

shaw357

LaMizzy

you can try create a mod that logs all the wealth details...
like what the colony "acquired" and what was lost.
any events like raid, thunderstorm, fire, trade ship, etc...

however, to make it even more trustworthy, you will need to encrypt the log so that only you can read it.
and just ask player to submit the screenshot of in-game wealth panel and the log.
if anything seem weird on the wealth panel, u can check the log to see what happened during that time.

a lot of work to ensure fairness

CB elite

Something else you might need to consider is starting colonists. Do people use edb prepare carefully to load a preset set by you? Whats to stop them from maxing out everyones skills? Who's to say they won't just up the default workspeed/movespeeds of their colonists to something rediculous? and then revert to core before submitting? I like your idea a lot but I feel like there really is a lot of room for cheating :(

Alitaria

I think the best way would be to provide a save file of a world that has just been started, that way everyone uses the same starting colonists. You would also have to restrict it to vanilla and a specific story teller, probably Cassandra or Phoebe as Randy is far too varied to be a fair contest. He could throw you a crud load of resources or kill you off in the first week.

Development mode should also be banned and rather than a specific real world time, restrict it to a specific in game time like 6months or 1 year as not everyone has the same amount of free time and would be put at a disadvantage simply due to external priorities. And should people run over that time the Wealth at the end of the allotted time is their score.

Wealth graph screenshots would need to be provided and possibly a save file to prove that the wealth log file matches that of the one provided. 
Context is key when discussing RimWorld in public