Extreme Temperature Hazards and incidents

Started by AHare, September 02, 2015, 09:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHare

I just did some testing to see what happens in extreme temperatures, and I was a bit disappointed to find out...nothing happens. Pawns get hypothermia or heatstroke, which is good and expected, but it doesn't seem to affect much else. So I have a few thoughts:

For pawns:
- Along with hypothermia, extreme cold slows a pawn's speed at doing anything. A low enough temperature can freeze a pawn in place.
- Extreme temperatures makes pawns want to sleep more, with heat giving exhaustion.
- In extreme heat, there is a chance for pawns to spontaneously combust. This is more likely if they are wearing clothes, however it's still a relatively unlikely. Chance does increase as the temperature rises though.
- Prolonged exposure to extreme hot or cold causes damage over time, scaling with the temperature.

For food and items:
- Heat causes food (especially meat) to spoil more quickly, until it reaches a certain point where...
- Extreme heat (250f+) can cook meat, making it more appetizing to colonists but also taking longer to cook. The hotter a room is, the faster it will cook.
- Cloth and textiles can catch on fire. This includes worn clothes.

Other:
- There is a chance for plants and trees to catch on fire when it gets hot enough.

Lerxst

I also think some of this should be biome dependent and would like to see the wildlife react accordingly. Reptilian species should hibernate when it's cold, come out when it's warm and seek cover when it's hot and so on.

Water is another issue. Since it's not necessary, the presence or absence makes no difference to a colony. It should. And it should play a rather large role in extreme temperature situations - requiring more when it's hot and freezing solid when its cold.

There should also be more health hazards for each dependent on clothing. Frostbite and hypothermia sets in really fast in cold temperatures for barely clothed colonists. But... a naked colonist in the scorching desert sun should suffer heat stroke faster and also minor burns over exposed areas of their body.

Toggle

Yeah, the water point though, that would require adding an entire water system which would be pretty large. Would probably be an alpha's main update.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

MultiDavid

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on September 02, 2015, 11:48:00 PM
Yeah, the water point though, that would require adding an entire water system which would be pretty large. Would probably be an alpha's main update.

Prediction for alpha 13 maybe ? DUN DUN DUUUUUUN
( a water system with rivers and such would be so cool :O )

Toggle

Alpha 13 is pretty much predicted to be relationships expanded, as that's what Tynan said, but 6 months so who knows. Water isn't likely to be the next update though.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

akiceabear

+1 to AHare's suggestions

I also like the idea of a water system, but agree it is unlikely for at least a few more alphas, if at all.

Wex

Quote from: AHare on September 02, 2015, 09:42:52 PM
- Extreme heat (250f+) can cook meat, making it more appetizing to colonists but also taking longer to cook. The hotter a room is, the faster it will cook.
But also, extreme (normal) heat will produce jerky!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison