Deer/ewe wont breed

Started by TMAN80SS, September 03, 2015, 09:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMAN80SS

None of my animals are injured, the red light is a good idea ;) and im on a winter biome and i was lucky enough to get them xD

Thank you to all the responses, i guess ill just wait until they die to see if they ever breed.

Nebbie

It seems like megascarabs and deer simply don't mate easy. I had two male and two female megascarabs and they just wouldn't mate (but that's in line with what the info says on them). My pair of young deer just would never mate for some reason, don't know why; animals like alpacas get pregnant almost immediately.

Panzer

I would rather say thats a bug with the system, you get what, like 5% chance to mate per day? over the course of 5 years the chance that they didnt mate at one point is pretty low..

TMAN80SS

Well with those rates, what would be the best type of animals to breed? I've never had the option to sheer milk or etc for anything that has been tamed. Also what ones breed the quickest? I would like to start up some sort of farm and sell the animals, meats and products :D

Panzer

Well I think pigs and wild boars are good, they breed very fast. litter size is 1-3 afaik, and takes 1 month to reach juvenile, 5-6 months to adulthood. I usually kill them after a month, had a cook with 2 bionic arms (around 160% butcher efficiency) and he got around 50 meat from 1 juvenile pig, if you have enough pigs you re set with meat.

Another thing is cobras, they lay up to 6 eggs and you get like 70 silver for a baby cobra, you can make good money by selling them. Cobras get named though, like dogs, so selling them is a bit of a pain ;D

Tynan

I'd never have imagined cobras as a cash breeding operation. That's really interesting!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TMAN80SS

Geeze, Panzer. You have this breeding down pat haven't you?  ;D

Mihsan

Quote from: TMAN80SS on September 04, 2015, 06:22:01 AM
Well with those rates, what would be the best type of animals to breed? I've never had the option to sheer milk or etc for anything that has been tamed. Also what ones breed the quickest? I would like to start up some sort of farm and sell the animals, meats and products :D

Pigs are awesome: breed fast, fast to gain meat, easy to butcher (try to butcher 100 of some small creatures to understand).

But IMO you can get meat from any animals. Right now I have something about 200 chinchillas and they are pretty big part of my meals.

P.S.: Tried snakes too. Had to sell them all because of that naming thing and there was too much of them.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

MultiDavid

On new on the muffalo, red light works wonders, a few days after i installed a couple inside my hybrid enclosure one of the females got pregnant.

Toggle

Heh, yeah I don't actually think lights effect it, but just gotta say...

Alpaca master pet race.

Sorry not sorry.

I don't know about them actually being profitable in terms of food they require, but I get a decent amount of wool and it's worth quite a bit. They take a long time to grow it though.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

theapolaustic1

Quote from: Tynan on September 04, 2015, 07:44:50 AM
I'd never have imagined cobras as a cash breeding operation. That's really interesting!

It's actually interesting, I was breeding them for a "cobra army", but discovered pretty quickly that they make for poor combatants against raiders (maybe for catching the ones that try to flee?). But they're kinda cute just slithering around, and are sort of like a less-active chicken farm. More profit per animal but less often (which frankly I like, as it is selling off the chickens you want is kind of a pain, wink wink).

Topper

There may be a breeding bug. I've had a pair of boars, chinchillas and huskies since the start of my fort and none have done the sexing.

MultiDavid

Quote from: Topper on September 06, 2015, 02:53:57 PM
There may be a breeding bug. I've had a pair of boars, chinchillas and huskies since the start of my fort and none have done the sexing.

Try red light on an enclosed space with the beds next to eachother, it got my animals on the mood.

Toggle

Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

TLHeart

Just because you have one female, and one male, does not guarantee they will breed. Just like in the real world.