Visitor Areas

Started by LouisTBR, September 03, 2015, 03:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisTBR

Now, is it just me, or visitors blocking my colonists from sitting at their table are really annoying? Not to mention they sleep in your fridge, causing them to eat your meals before leaving Shouldn't we have visitor zoning, like for animals and colonists, to avoid this? Feedback is appreciated!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

MultiDavid

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 03, 2015, 03:55:50 PM
Now, is it just me, or visitors blocking my colonists from sitting at their table are really annoying? Not to mention they sleep in your fridge, causing them to eat your meals before leaving Shouldn't we have visitor zoning, like for animals and colonists, to avoid this? Feedback is appreciated!

I haven't been having visitor issues, for some reason my visitors do not enter anything, perhaps because my base is really small, they also only eat from THEIR food, and they have never eaten any of my own food xD

confusedwings

i agree with you... just like for animals/roof and/or home you should be able to set up a 'visitor' zone... that way you can choose if they are allowed in or not...

maybe at some stage of the game it could improve your relation if you have food for them... even more if there is a 'lavish meal' waiting...

War could be on you when they have no food and no bed while your colonist are having it all...

LouisTBR

Usually they only eat your food when they crash out and wake up starving.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Toggle

I think they just partly go into whatever home region you have, so if your base has a gate, say like a killbox and then a growing area surrounding your base with yours in a mountain corner, they won't go in, just stay inside the home zone a bit in.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Lady Wolf

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 03, 2015, 03:55:50 PM

One thing to bear in mind is visitors will not eat your food, they actually carry a single meal with them which they will consume when they get hungry, however it will appear they are snacking on your food if they happen to be in the freezer at the time.

As for sleeping in there, turn the heat down to -100ish or so and when they go for a nap in a few short hours you'll have free weapons, clothes, and bodies for the composter.  8)

Ona more serious note, I do find it annoying when they hog the dining table, or worse yet a dozen of them jam pack themselves into your very neurotic trigger happy colonists 6x6 bedroom, making for crowded conditions and multiple disturbed sleep debuffs. (Which resulted in the colonist going berserk and attacking them all with in close quarters which was kind of hilarious actually...)

Being able to define a zone as "visitor" could be really nice.

Keychan

The issue with this was that it can easily be abused.  In previous Alphas, when it was worth doing it, I made tourist traps.  A little room outside my base with tables and benches with a few heaters or a natural geyser sauna.  They would walk around til they were hungry, go inside the room, and the door would always lock for some reason.  Nevertheless, free hundreds of silver pieces worth in parkas and pants. 

Now if visitor areas were implemented, what's there to prevent me from locking all of them in a enclosed box room and freeing or farming them whenever I please.  Not that you already can't do it, but it makes it that much easier and less random.  Guaranteed weapons, cloth, and caged "reinforcements" when ever you get a visit.  Free battle fodder against pirates and mechs is a bit unbalanced.

Lady Wolf

You bring up some good points keychain, so how about instead of visitor areas, we can set up visitor exclusion zones? This way visitors avoid the marked areas, letting you keep them out of your kitchen and bedrooms much easier, and short of marking off most of the map it'd be hard to exploit it into herding them into a trap room as easily.

(As it is you can easily herd them into a trap room by just making a smaller trap room off to the side of your initial colony entrance hallway and locking the secondary door leading into your colony proper and just put the table etc in the trap room.)

Edit:

Or Tynan could code it so they automatically avoid entering your colony rooms all together and just pitch their own little tent city outside for the duration of their visits?

whoishigh

I thought there were some good ideas for this in your other thread on the same topic. It's a bit odd that visitors find comfort in my walk-in freezer, sure. All we really need is something like the prisoner/medical/colonist choice for beds - we could have visitor rooms, visitor barracks, visitor dining rooms (though it seems logical to assume that you'd want your guests to eat with you). Anyone doing more than simply passing through part of the map should pay to stay, IMO!

Lady Wolf

There should also be some kind of rep penalty with a faction if their colonists expire while inside your colony walls, (not outside them since that's not your colony any more really) After all if a bunch of visitors dies in your home while enjoying your hospitality, their faction should be upset.

This would help offset the free goods gain from luring them into kill boxes at any rate.

Also if you protect them from a raid or whatnot you should get a nice rep boost as well, or a chance of some of them joining your colony.

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

It's weird, my visitors never seem to enter inside my compound any more, I'm not sure but I think it started around the last big update. They just congregate outside the main entrance to the walls for a while and then leave. I kind of miss them coming in and hanging out!

LouisTBR

I was going to say about the visitor exclusion zones.

Toggle

Anything that designates where visitors go or don't go can be abused which is the problem. If you make zones where they can't go, you just zone the entire map, and make a square of allowed zone, plus why would they listen to you. Any beds or anything set to visitors would again allow you to trap them into a room.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

b0rsuk

Reputation loss for killing visitors would solve this. Enjoy a few parkas, shivs, pistols and fine meals for -20 with that faction.

LouisTBR

Yeah, great idea b0rsuk! Maybe, if a visitor dies inside your home zone, you cop the blame and get shunned (-20) by their faction. This could even apply if a raider/mechanoid killed a colonist on your land, because this would make it less appealing to use your visitors as defence to get into cryptosleep caskets!