Procedurally-Generated Weapons?

Started by Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed, September 04, 2015, 01:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

This is something I keep thinking about more and more. I searched and couldn't see any other suggestions for it, so hopefully this isn't something that's been repeatedly suggested already.

While this is something I highly doubt will make it to the game, due to its large level of work required and the complexity of it all, I was still wondering if having randomly-generated weapons had been considered at all.
I've spent a long time playing Starbound and following along with the development there, and the system of having generated weapons from lots of different parts to create unique objects adds amazing variety and a true feeling that there are endless new discoveries to be made. I think this sort of element would work amazingly well for Rimworld and would stave off the potential feelings of stagnation when each new raid could bring along some slightly different weapon with interesting stats and sounds and effects. Also the potential for trade would become a lot more exciting and enhance the sense that you are in a galaxy populated by different factions and corporations each with their own take on how to kill things.

I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts on this!

skullywag

Ive actually played about with this a whike back. Getting the weapons to create randomly is actually pretty easy, getting the texture to do the same...i couldnt do it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Rofo

Thought the same playing Borderlands. I find it would be amazing collecting unique weapons with diferent stats and special effects. It also would enrich the difficulty curve on raids providing them with better armory.

A Friend

Weapon mods?

Idk, maybe something like the crafting system in Fallout 4 could work. You've got this laser based weapon, you can add things to it to improve stats or have unique effects. From that laser base, you can add a part that improves firerate and additional projectiles at the cost of range and accuracy, BOOM! Laser assault rifle. Or a part that improves accuracy and damage at the cost of firerate, BAM, Laser rifle!

In other words, different version of gun x y and z. Though problem is that it won't be as varied as other suggestions but hey, look a little bit of variety in pew pew pews.

I'm not too sold on a Borderland-esque weapon generation as it would feel a bit too random. But that's just my opinion.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

milon

I had the same idea a while ago, but I'm not yet skilled enough to tackle it.

Quote from: skullywag on September 04, 2015, 04:13:19 AM
Ive actually played about with this a whike back. Getting the weapons to create randomly is actually pretty easy, getting the texture to do the same...i couldnt do it.

You probably tried this, but my thought was to have a bunch of weapon 'fragment' graphics. Part of the procedural generation is to put together various fragments (randomly, or related to the weapon stats/category/whatever) into a composite picture of a unique weapon.  C# should be able to do that, right?

Fluffy (l2032)

You can manipulate pixels within C# (actually Unity), yes. I've done it for a colorpicker (which Mrofa will hopefully get around to releasing some day :P). Obviously that was a simpler scenario where I was just creating pixels over the hue and saturation range for x/y locations in a square, but you can with some work cut and paste images together on the fly.