Manually move items in stockpiles

Started by suicidalkid, September 05, 2015, 08:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suicidalkid

This pisses me off every time, I mean, come on! At least put the gold in the same pile!
I want a system where if you ctrl+left click (or something else) you "pick up" the item and wherever you click next will place it there, as long as it's still in the same stockpile (so we actually use haulers lol).
It would make it so we wouldn't have to de-zone, tell them to haul, re-zone, repeat; it's extremely frustrating when you're dealing with limited space.

b0rsuk

Hell no, don't increase player micromanagement! Instead, putting resources in the same tile could be a part of "Cleaning" job, lowest priority one performed when the entire home zone is clear. Animals could also do it.

Wex

Quote from: b0rsuk on September 06, 2015, 02:05:39 AM
Hell no, don't increase player micromanagement! Instead, putting resources in the same tile could be a part of "Cleaning" job, lowest priority one performed when the entire home zone is clear. Animals could also do it.
Yes. Or hauling. In any case this should be automated. As it is now, I would have to create a single tile, high priority (gold only in your example) stockpile and wait for my pawns to stock it; then delete it. It's not efficient.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

b0rsuk

Not hauling, because they would likely to keep doing this when there are more important things to haul. It kinda fits with cleaning, which isn't essential usually and doesn't require long distance travel.
I also think watering pot plants would make more sense as a cleaning subtype. Anyone can do it and fast travel is not a requirement. An okay job for someone with a peg leg.

StorymasterQ

I don't read it anywhere but I'm not reading between the lines, but is this suggesting that a haul/clean job is queued for 'grouping' items? So that if there exists two stacks where neither is not maximum, add them together. If the resulting pile is more than the maximum, take back (total-max) items and store it elsewhere, otherwise done.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Wex

Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 06, 2015, 09:47:32 PM
I don't read it anywhere but I'm not reading between the lines, but is this suggesting that a haul/clean job is queued for 'grouping' items? So that if there exists two stacks where neither is not maximum, add them together. If the resulting pile is more than the maximum, take back (total-max) items and store it elsewhere, otherwise done.
Hahahaha! What?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Solanus

I would probably set a task on the zone to "Optimize", which would at least attempt to combine stacks within the zone.  Keep it as a Haul activity, so it would not take priority over skilled labor activities and such.  You could also have an "Always Optimize" toggle for the zone, where any placing of materials in the zone would force an optimization for that material only.

jega

I vote it gets automated and I like the idea that it becomes a cleaning task.

Oga88

It's a task. Why would you do it from any ctrl+. Agree to cleaning or hauling.