Base design

Started by Simon_The_Space_Engineer, September 05, 2015, 11:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of base do you have

Open or lazy/rushed
Underground (base is in a mountain or hill)
Colonist friendly
Compact and efficent
Other

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

When I look up rimworld on google and it shows a few of different kinds of bases I always wonder what other kinds are out there and what the man purpose of them is. I made this so that everyone with the same question can talk about base design, flaws some have such as bad colonist conditions to space being wasted or not enough defense, and their strengths. This also could help newer players too!
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

MultiDavid

Hmmm, base designs, i guess there are those which have a building for everything, and those which only have the necessaries, i personally have a fridge room carved in a mountain side, and a spacious room for all of my colonist and medical beds, my animal pasture is to the right, where i keep a small fridge inside it stocked with vegetables, the research table, comms console and cooking/butchering thingies are on the outside, since i normally don't fear them blowing up completely. I am situated in such a way on the map that i just need a row of sandbags/turrets on the south of my base to keep raider wannabes away.

My design is basically as lazy as it can get, but it does get the job done :3

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I like to have more open colony's for these reasons
1. Easier to keep people happy
2.more space and easier to keep at a good temp than underground or compact bases
3. Farm space and extra food growing
4. Solar and wind power
The only things wrong with it are
1. Harder to protect
2. Easy to get in the habit of wasting space
3. Crops are easier to destroy
4. Fires can spread easily to your colony

akiceabear

Nice topic. I know there are some older threads with base photos, but I think its nice to share how people are doing things today, given each alpha changes things up a bit...

I have a few conventions I follow...

• Bedrooms are 2x1, 5x5 or 7x7
  • Most other rooms are 11x11 - I like the size, feels uncrowded
  • Most rooms have odd-number dimensions - I like to center my doors on walls
  • Hallways are 2 wide
  • While I don't killbox super heavily (rarely use more than a few turrets), I'll make a few unconnected perimeter walls to funnel tribals to a few chokepoints that have sandbags.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Quote from: akiceabear on September 05, 2015, 11:20:31 PM
Nice topic. I know there are some older threads with base photos, but I think its nice to share how people are doing things today, given each alpha changes things up a bit...

• Hallways are 2 wide
  • While I don't killbox super heavily (rarely use more than a few turrets), I'll make a few unconnected perimeter walls to funnel tribals to a few chokepoints that have sandbags.
Sounds a lot like what I do... The only big differnce is I have smaller colonist rooms but everything else is big. The rooms for the colonist are small since they are only in them to sleep... I was also think about making a hall way to my kitchen freezer combo im case of warts but it would split my base into 3/4 on top and 1/4 on the bottom
Also I wonder what type of base tynan uses outside of his update videos and such, as well as which one he favors

MultiDavid

Quote from: Stone_enderman on September 05, 2015, 11:28:35 PM
Quote from: akiceabear on September 05, 2015, 11:20:31 PM

• Hallways are 2 wide
Sounds a lot like what I do... The only big differnce is I have smaller colonist rooms but everything else is big. The rooms for the colonist are small since they are only in them to sleep... I was also think about making a hall way to my kitchen freezer combo im case of warts but it would split my base into 3/4 on top and 1/4 on the bottom

Yo stone enderman, on the poll there is ''underground'' that doesn't make much sense xD

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Underground as in the base is dug into a mountain or series of hills

SlimeCrusher

I do this kind of "half inside rock, half outside" base.
Mainly because i like a bit of outside challenge, but i don't want to be completely exposed.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I do a small bit into the mountains, usually for space I have left with my position (still working on getting better positions for space and security) but a lot outside as it's easier to control the temp. Underground bases have to have either vents or a lot of ac/heater units to balance things out

TLHeart

I build an open base next to a hill. The hill protects one side, while the early growing zones are the town center. Kitchen/dining room are one, attached to the fridge. Early colonist rooms are 4x4 connected to the side of the fridge for insulation. These become prisoner rooms later on.

3 wide paths between buildings with trees planted down the middle, for the main walkways, boosts beauty, and space thoughts.

Work shop is an extension of the enclosed trade depot/beacon.

Medical bay grows as needed.

Now with animals, the barn, and the chicken coup are just a few steps away. Still working on this part. Large pasture for the animals, where I plant the hay.  I then start building customized rooms, based upon my colonist needs... present colony has a greedy colonist, and a jealous colonist... actually easier to balance than I expected.

Used to put both the cook stove and butcher table in the same room, with the initial 4 seat table... Now since the butcher table adds filth to the room, and does benefit from a tool chest, I build a butcher shop beside the kitchen.

Then I move on to building a saloon/ rec room, have always built it large with lots of sculptures... now I get a bigger mood bonus for this.  Next is working on a great dining hall.

Defense, the hill on one side, the buildings cause choke points, and a few turrets to protect open areas... Ducking in and out of doors to fire, confuses the AI.

And here is Pine View in all the great glory after recovering from a toxic fallout that lasted 21 days.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I've never tried ducking in and out of doors before (I have considered making a wall out of doors as they usually are a little stronger and would allow exit from literally any direction). I will have to give it a try

akiceabear

TLHeart - nice base and design principles, am going try a few of them on my next one!

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I will too... Think I should also go into development mode on a new colony and make a wall out of doors to see what happens? My guess is a lot of confused AIs and angry tribesmen (I have had incidents where one tribesman would not stop walking through an automated door or would stand in it to try and figure out how it works)

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I found this example of an efficent and compressed base... Looks cool but I be the colonist aren't that happiest with there lack of bed room space

[attachment deleted due to age]

akiceabear

Hi stone - pretty sure that's from A11 when room stats weren't as important (or at least, as transparent).