Better Prisons

Started by steev42, September 17, 2015, 07:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steev42

I did see a few similar suggestions, but they all appeared to be from 2013 or so.  I'd like a way for my prisoners to get joy and such; have some common rooms, etc.

I could see a couple ways of doing this. 
First, create a prisoner zone option (like the current allowed areas/animal allowed areas), and the ability to assign each prisoner to such a zone. 
Alternatively, the ability to mark each door with a permission level. "Colonists Only", "Colonists and Guests", or "Anybody".  Then we could have an outer door marked as "Colonists Only" that the prisoners wouldn't be allowed through, and the inner doors would be "Anybody", allowing the prisoners free access.

Either (or both) of these options would be great.

cultist

I think the idea is not to give you too much control over your prisoners - we're not playing Prison Architect here. :p

If you have a lot of prisoners, it also ties up a lot of colonists to warden them - making several prisoners a drain on your colony's resources. That's when the talk of slavery and human leather cowboy hats start.

zandadoum

i have a big prison with common area, joy stuff, table, rack with prison cloth (tribalwear xD) and even a food dispenser. the trick is to have cells without doors so they can wander like they want.

CB elite

Heh, that's not a bad idea. Unless, of course,  one of your prisoners goes ballistic :o

I'm still waiting for organized prison escape attempts when their faction is raiding your colony :P

LouisTBR

I know that this game is very similar to Prison Architect, which isn't a bad thing, but this game has that little, unexplainable thing that prison architect doesn't, and it doesn't need to be changed to replicate an arguably bigger game.
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Loki88

Can they go through doors that you have set to remain open? I'm not at my PC to test it out...

LaMizzy

Quote from: Loki88 on September 19, 2015, 01:52:53 PM
Can they go through doors that you have set to remain open? I'm not at my PC to test it out...

I tried that just moments ago, and no. They stay inside the room they are placed in regardless of door condition.
I tried to created a self-sufficient prison, but it just doesn't work.

The only way is to create Prison Barrack with enough space so they don't get too-crowded negative mood and take the hit on sharing-space thought.
Another thing that make it self-sufficient is to have a 1 square stockpile of a specific food source on critical so whenever your hauler is available they will bring a full stack of 10 food that the prisoners can self-serve.
I also drop the temperature of the prison down to 1 degree-C to help slow down the food decay. Too bad there is no single cell freezer available >_<. But be warned, some prisoners might be upset with the low temperature...

why is there no single cell freezers, can reduce the amount of walking in hospital rooms, dining halls, prisons, even bedrooms...