Prisoner Labor

Started by CommieKazie, October 08, 2013, 02:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CommieKazie

In addition to the feeding/beating options, I think the ability to make your prisoners work for you could be beneficial.  This would give you incentive to keep people you won't be able to 'convert' to the colony.

Of course they would need to be monitored and chained (perhaps this requires a tech tree?), and comes with the risk of escape and rebellion.  However you could use 'cheaper' (don't care so much about standard of living) labor to mine out mountains, etc...

Additionally, we should be able to control their ration-intake (half/full/extra).  By suppressing rebellions we should be able to create a passive prisoner population.

Also, prisoners who see other prisoners join the colony and gain a much better standard of living might be more prone to join as well.  (Converting those who would otherwise be impossible?)  After a long time, probably some research too.
And you'd have to wonder if they were going to double-cross you too...

Plus you could have prisoners dig their own graves if you wanted to be exceptionally cruel.  With all of these morally darker options it allows you to tell the story of colonists who did what was 'necessary' to survive (and maybe found pleasure in it). 
Along these lines: Not every character should get debuffs for morally negative actions.  (This may be in, I'm not a tester).  Most colonies worry about a character going insane, this style of colony would cast-out the character who was sane.  Protesting our inhumanity?  Bad decision.

Turbo

Yes, yes, YES!

Plus it gives their fellow AI a chance to break them out of prison!
Whatever happens, happens.

Zeiph

AspenShadow

Quote from: Zeiph on October 08, 2013, 12:29:27 PM
I like the idea

Seconded :)

It's got a lot of potential to add more story/immersion to the game. They could perform tasks with a debuff to efficiency/time; considering it's not voluntary.

I'd like to see some sort of Stockholm Syndrome effect develop over time with some long-term prisoners.

turnip

Quote from: CommieKazie on October 08, 2013, 02:34:34 AM
Along these lines: Not every character should get debuffs for morally negative actions.
I support this idea, but I'm pretty sure there's an "evil" trait, along with "veteran" and "hardened". I'd have to assume characters with those traits will, when implemented, gain way less unhappiness from doing "evil" things like shooting someone in the back of the head.
Turnips should be a growable plant.

AspenShadow

True, true. But unless we add more of such traits or increase the chance for those three to randomize (or develop, I don't know what the final Trait system will be) then it'll be difficult for players to discover their evil side without it becoming a pain.

CommieKazie

But "hardened" and "veteran" don't sound like descriptors of people who would gleefully jump into the morally grey and black.  They'd deal with death and killing better than the average joe, but that doesn't mean they find joy in it.  I haven't read the whole trait list, but things along the lines of 'evil' would be better â€" sadistic, brutal, etc....

And it shouldn't be the lack of a debuff, but instead these traits should gain a happiness buff or something.

It'd be interesting to see colonies with certain kinds of people naturally evolve into a cruel dictatorships because of who is involved.  And to also explore the conflict between different characters with different moral views regarding these topics.  Perhaps even coups.  I know we're in control, but characters can go crazy.  It'd be interesting to see characters change the status quo, and rise up against each other because of their relationships, beliefs, and actions.  The player having no control to make them stop (because they let it get to that point), and would just have to work with the after effects.

Zeiph

The let's go toward sadistic: a sadistic noble would be an hilarious warden :D

ja7833

+1 for prison labor

The higher a colonist wardening skill is the more prisoners they could supervise during a project/less likely prisoners will be able to escape.
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

daft73

Instead of having higher leveled Wardens, you could add chain-gangs. Craft-able chains and such.

Mathenaut

There's a psychopath trait that ignores all negative modifiers to mood from killing, slavery, etc etc.

It also nerfs bonuses too, though.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 15, 2015, 01:59:20 PM
There's a psychopath trait that ignores all negative modifiers to mood from killing, slavery, etc etc.

The thread is from 2013.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

daft73

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 15, 2015, 02:07:01 PM
Quote from: Mathenaut on March 15, 2015, 01:59:20 PM

The thread is from 2013.
Need more coffee, I missed this.

BetaSpectre

It just shows how loved the idea is. But...Prison Improvement mod adds this in basically.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

ja7833

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 15, 2015, 02:07:01 PM
The thread is from 2013.

Better for a good idea to burn out than fade away...

"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman